Feb sales (952)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have contacted several dealerships over the past few months, inquiring when they might get a Bolt in stock. Every single one of them tried to sell me a Volt. Two of them flat out ignored the B, and assumed I wanted a Volt. A less informed buyer may have taken the bait.

BarfOMatic said:
Can anyone say, "troll"?

I don't know why you called yourself a Troll. But.. if you were referring to me, you are far far off base. I have a Bolt in the family as well as 2 Leafs and a Tesla.

I want Chevy to advertise the Bolt, have many more for sale at all dealerships including training dealers to sell them (instead of flipping them into a different vehicle), provide quick charging infrastructure and install faster/higher kW onboard chargers in the car. In short, I want this car to be highly successful.

In fact, I want all BEVs to be successful.

Evoforce said:
But.. if you were referring to me, you are far far off base. I have a Bolt in the family as well as 2 Leafs and a Tesla..
To be fair, a "compliance car" is a specific thing. A car that companies make only to meet CARB requirements, usually by converting one of their existing ICE models.

One might have been able to argue that the Bolt was possibly a compliance car the first months after it's release, but no longer.
Being available now in all 50 states, being built from the ground up as an EV, and with Chevy's statements about it, it's fairly obvious it is not a compliance car.

Now, I agree, Chevy could do more to promote the Bolt. I think they are being extra cautious with their rollout.. But that doesn't make the car a compliance car.

Now, Chevy did make a compliance car, the Spark EV. Converted ICE in limited markets..

Perhaps you didn't realize what a compliance car actually is; in which case you weren't trolling, just used the wrong phrase.

But if you did know what a compliance car is (and that the Bolt obviously isn't one) and still mentioned it as a poke at Chevy, then that would be trolling.

Hence his comment..

desiv

Evoforce said:
BarfOMatic said:
Can anyone say, "troll"?
I don't know why you called yourself a Troll. But.. if you were referring to me, you are far far off base. I have a Bolt in the family as well as 2 Leafs and a Tesla.
Could you please explain your post of Feb 04, 2018 on this thread, almost a year after the preceding one - the only explanation I could think of was "troll", but I guess I was wrong.

Seriously, please explain - I want to know.

Because the same situation is still prevalent and the thread is still relevant. No sense in starting a new thread.

Chevy quit producing the Spark and can no longer use it as a compliance car. I really feel initially Chevy (so far) has made the move (early on) to not make the Bolt available in mass numbers. That made it currently sold in compliance numbers. They have plans to use this platform for other models but that doesn't mean that they plan/planned to sell the Bolt in large numbers. Will they now actually try to sell it across the US in large numbers? Time will tell...

All that you have to do is watch "Who Killed the Electric Car" and you might have some skepticism also. I want Chevy to succeed in selling and promoting this car. Hopefully, they will seriously do this soon!

Somebody pointed out on another thread that the Bolt had the best first-year-of-sales of any BEV, ever. Also pointed out that only the Tesla model 'S' (3 times) and the LEAF (once) have ever sold more than the Bolt sold in 2017.

So ... every existing BEV is a compliance car? (Remember that Tesla sells its CARB/ZEV credits to auto manufacturers - so it benefits from the credits as well).

Evoforce said:
All that you have to do is watch "Who Killed the Electric Car" and you might have some skepticism also

Personally I enjoyed the sequel much more, "revenge of the electric car", GM had easily defensible reasons for doing what they did, but it obviously did not really matter as they were vilified in "Who killed the electric car" and that cemented most of the public's perception.

If you have not yet watched "revenge of the electric car" the film makers were given unprecedented access inside GM and it contains some great footage of Lutz and Musk walking the auto show floor together.

Dan Neil, who appeared in both films, has given the Chevy Bolt a great review, and appears to begrudgingly accept that GM is not the same company it was many years ago...

winterescape said:
Evoforce said:
All that you have to do is watch "Who Killed the Electric Car" and you might have some skepticism also

Personally I enjoyed the sequel much more, "revenge of the electric car", GM had easily defensible reasons for doing what they did, but it obviously did not really matter as they were vilified in "Who killed the electric car" and that cemented most of the public's perception.

If you have not yet watched "revenge of the electric car" the film makers were given unprecedented access inside GM and it contains some great footage of Lutz and Musk walking the auto show floor together.

Dan Neil, who appeared in both films, has given the Chevy Bolt a great review, and appears to begrudgingly accept that GM is not the same company it was many years ago...

We sure are glad that Chevy is back in the game. I'm just waiting for them to get serious about selling volumes of BEVs. Oh, and at least installing CCS quick charging infrastructure somewhere. Even if that somewhere starts with dealerships. It is not very easy to leave town yet. I believe the Bolt is a very capable car and would be a viable long distance car with proper charge stations available. Apartment dwellers are especially having a hard time, even for just around town, because they cannot charge at home.

One saving grace is that there are adapters for CCS to Tesla destination Level 2 chargers. However though, they are not fast. But... a lot of those you have to stay the night in order to use them. Who can agree to stay the night somewhere every 200 miles?

In our large expanse of a city. Nissan dealers have decided not to share their charging stations. The only other few quick chargers are operated by Evgo and they are so expensive they cost more than using gas and could easily be more than 50 miles away. A Chademo to CCS adapter would also help as there are a few Blink quick chargers with Chademo but have no CCS.

Bolt sales will pick up when they address these issues.

I have an old home with old weak wires. I never charge at home.

I do charge at work and at public chargers.

I am glad there are not lots and lots of EV’s on the road.

I’ve rarely ( once or twice in 100 ) had to wait for a DCFC or pull up to find all Level 2 used.

Evoforce said:
A Chademo to CCS adapter would also help as there are a few Blink quick chargers with Chademo but have no CCS..
I thought I remembered reading that Tony Williams was looking into producing those adapters.
That would be awesome.

I know in Oregon, we have the great West Coast Electric Highway, which has Chademos about ever 30 miles along some major highways.
We have many fewer CCS chargers.
I know they are planning on adding more CCS with the VW money, but I think that was mostly I5.
As it is, there is (I think) only 1 CCS charger at a dealer in Newport Oregon for the whole Oregon Coast (HW 101).

And a lot of the existing CCS chargers on the central/south part of the I5 are the 25kW models at stores.
I am fine with those chargers being 25kW, as they are really for charging while shopping.
The problem is that they are the only chargers for travelers currently...

Now, if Tony makes a Chademo to CCS adapter, I can use the West Coast Electric Highway chargers again.

I'm hoping he can get one of those out for a reasonable price.

desiv

desiv said:
Evoforce said:
A Chademo to CCS adapter would also help as there are a few Blink quick chargers with Chademo but have no CCS..
I thought I remembered reading that Tony Williams was looking into producing those adapters.
That would be awesome.

I know in Oregon, we have the great West Coast Electric Highway, which has Chademos about ever 30 miles along some major highways.
We have many fewer CCS chargers.
I know they are planning on adding more CCS with the VW money, but I think that was mostly I5.
As it is, there is (I think) only 1 CCS charger at a dealer in Newport Oregon for the whole Oregon Coast (HW 101).

And a lot of the existing CCS chargers on the central/south part of the I5 are the 25kW models at stores.
I am fine with those chargers being 25kW, as they are really for charging while shopping.
The problem is that they are the only chargers for travelers currently...

Now, if Tony makes a Chademo to CCS adapter, I can use the West Coast Electric Highway chargers again.

I'm hoping he can get one of those out for a reasonable price.

desiv

I had heard rumors of that also, but I also remember a number thrown out there to be around $1,000 for said adapter. I am skeptical at that price point for very many takers.

Back