Flat Tire after one week--Car had to be towed

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think there is deliberate conspiracy for original stock tires to be of a lesser quality. But as apparent in the seat quality thread--- there are quality control issues.

It isn't a conspiracy. it's standard business practice. The tire manufacturer agrees to provide OEM tires to an auto manufacturer for a lower price than wholesale. In return, the manufacturer accepts they they will be lower spec then the version sold by tire dealers. This has been done for decades. The only debate here was over whether "lower spec" equals "lower quality." Many Nissan leaf owners have a definite opinion on that one, believe me.

oilerlord said:
I will always buy my tires from Costco. Doesn't matter to me if they cost more, they always give me the feeling they have my back.

Funny. I'd NEVER buy a tire from Costco.

They sell tires based on price and the tires they sell actually are lesser quality. You get what you pay for. Also, IMO, the service "techs" at Costco also are grossly under-trained and poorly informed. Don't know what they are talking about based on my experience.

Went on an off-road trip w/a bunch of guys from LA into Death Valley awhile back. One of the buys drove a 4Runner w/BFG AT KO tires that he bought at Costco. He didn't know he bought the lower grade 3 ply tires, not the top rated 10 ply off-road tires that I've run on my off road vehicles before. He discovered this only after the ubiquitous spiked desert plants that line the trails shredded the side walls of 3 of his 4 tires. All of us on the trip had to stop while people stuffed tire patch strips into the sidewalls to try to get him going again. Finally had to take him to a town where he had to buy 4 new better grade tires.

Long story short, I only buy tires from America's TIre or Tire Rack after doing all the online research on which tire I want to buy myself first.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+Saver+A%2FS&partnum=15HR7ESASV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Bolt%20EV&autoModClar= lists three different Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires in 215/50R17.

90V generic version
91H Chevrolet Volt version
91H Chevrolet Bolt version (presumably with the self-sealing)

The OEM ones have a higher load rating (91 instead of 90) and a lower speed rating (H instead of V).

Treadwear warranty for tires bought aftermarket (not installed on new cars) is 65,000 miles for H-speed-rated versions, 55,000 for V-speed-rated versions. Tire Rack's prices are not that much different between the three versions (the generic one is the more expensive, while the Volt one is least expensive).

Other tires that Tire Rack lists in 215/50R17 have load ratings of 90, 91, or 95 (P is prefixed on the size for those with 90 load ratings, e.g. P215/50R17 90V versus 215/50R17 91H). Speed ratings tend to be H, V, or W.

If you go to a different model of tire, it would be a good idea to get at least a 91 load rating. Or, even if you replace with another set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S when they wear out, be sure to check which version, particularly the load rating.

He didn't know he bought the lower grade 3 ply tires, not the top rated 10 ply off-road tires that I've run on my off road vehicles before. He discovered this only after the ubiquitous spiked desert plants that line the trails shredded the side walls of 3 of his 4 tires.

The sidewalls of the OEM grade Leaf Ecopias were also their fatal weakness. They'd blow if you hit a curb a little too firmly.

sgt1372 said:
Funny. I'd NEVER buy a tire from Costco.

They sell tires based on price and the tires they sell actually are lesser quality. You get what you pay for.

Where do people come up with this stuff? That is absolutely false. I'm guessing it's a rumor started by a small operator that doesn't do the volume to compete on price. A manager at a small tire store in Mesa told me the same crap about Tire Rack, when they couldn't match a price.

While the experience of staff can vary as it can with any large chain store, I can assure you the tires they sell are NOT lesser quality. Costco pulls their tires from regional distribution centers just like everyone else does. Costco sells the same first-quality, name-brand tires you'll from Tire Rack or any other retailer that orders from distribution.

oilerlord said:
Where do people come up with this stuff? That is absolutely false. I'm guessing it's a rumor started by a small operator that doesn't do the volume to compete on price. A manager at a small tire store in Mesa told me the same crap about Tire Rack, when they couldn't match a price.

While the experience of staff can vary as it can with any large chain store, I can assure you the tires they sell are NOT lesser quality. Costco pulls their tires from regional distribution centers just like everyone else does. Costco sells the same first-quality, name-brand tires you'll from Tire Rack or any other retailer that orders from distribution.

A likely scenario is that the particular tire had several versions in the same size, and the buyer in question bought the incorrect version, though it would be the same as the same version sold at other tire shops.

If both the buyer and the tire shop (Costco or otherwise) are unaware of the different versions of the tire, then it is easier for the buyer to end up buying the incorrect version.

However, it is true that tire companies sometimes make special models (sometimes only cosmetically different) for warehouse club tire shops or specific retailers. An example is the Michelin Defender XT, which is a version of the Michelin Defender with a cosmetically different tread that is sold at Costco and Sam's Club. Back when Sears was big in selling tires and auto repair services, Michelin made at least some of Sears' house brand tires.

boltage said:
A likely scenario is that the particular tire had several versions in the same size, and the buyer in question bought the incorrect version, though it would be the same as the same version sold at other tire shops.

If both the buyer and the tire shop (Costco or otherwise) are unaware of the different versions of the tire, then it is easier for the buyer to end up buying the incorrect version.

However, it is true that tire companies sometimes make special models (sometimes only cosmetically different) for warehouse club tire shops or specific retailers. An example is the Michelin Defender XT, which is a version of the Michelin Defender with a cosmetically different tread that is sold at Costco and Sam's Club. Back when Sears was big in selling tires and auto repair services, Michelin made at least some of Sears' house brand tires.

Agreed. There are SKU's that are "exclusive to" certain retailers. They will either be labeled as a house brand, or a model designation that you won't find anywhere else. With that said, the Bolt-specific OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S is exactly the same tire regardless if you order it from Costco, Tire-Rack, or your GM dealership.

With respect to different versions of the same tire in the same size, be very careful to note the load rating when buying replacement tires. Tire shops (even those that display considerable knowledge like Tire Rack) seem to be willing to ignore load rating when suggesting replacement tires. For example, when shopping for tires for a Bolt,Tire Rack lists some 215/50R17 tires with 90 load ratings, even though the Bolt came with OEM special-version tires with 91 load rating.

Perhaps I should post this question in a separate thread: where can I get a donut-style spare wheel? Has anyone done that? I do not have 100% confidence the self-sealing tire notion, unless the penetrating object is a small nail or screw.

dDF said:
Perhaps I should post this question in a separate thread: where can I get a donut-style spare wheel? Has anyone done that? I do not have 100% confidence the self-sealing tire notion, unless the penetrating object is a small nail or screw.
I believe that there's a spare tire kit for the Volt that includes a jack, and that the Volt and Bolt share the same wheel size.

EgermP said:
Originally, the dealership said that they would replace the tire without charge, and told us to have the car towed to them. When she arrived, the Chevy service guy, however, told my wife something different. So, I've got to argue the thing tomorrow. Yes, your comment seems appropriate. It looks like the tires have a quality problem. That quality problem could also be a serious safety issue for Bolt drivers.
Has there been any resolution to the issue since you last posted, EgermP?

Back