Ford changes its mind and won't compete with the Chevy Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westernkicks

I get confused by all the conflicting reports out there

Back in April they said they were
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-28/ford-plans-long-range-electric-car-to-compete-with-tesla-gm

Here is a link to Ford stating they will not make a 200 mile range EV

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/no-200-mile-ford-ev-news-details-quote/
http://insideevs.com/ford-not-interest-in-competing-with-bolt-or-model-3-wont-offer-a-200-mile-electric-car/

From the Digital Trends article:

“I think right now with the launch of the Focus Electric at 100 miles, it is going to satisfy a big chunk of the population. It’s going to be really affordable and a step up from where we are now,” affirmed Kevin Layden, Ford’s director of electrification programs and engineering, in an interview with trade journal Automotive News."

And what he actually meant:

"I think right now, with the launch of the Focus Electric at 100 miles, it is going to satisfy our need to comply with CARB and CAFE requirements, while being fiscally responsible to our shareholders. On the limited number of cars that will be available in a few states, we're excited to offer leases as low as $199 per month which will be really affordable for a big chunk of the population.

I'm a big Ford fan, but the 100 mile Focus is obsolete before it hits the showrooms

Whether Ford says it or not, they are still competing. The Bolt does not just compete against electric cars, it competes against all cars. It may take a while for them to realize this.

Geo said:
Whether Ford says it or not, they are still competing. The Bolt does not just compete against electric cars, it competes against all cars. It may take a while for them to realize this.
Well put!!

Ford is bipolar when it comes to EVs. We won't compete. We will compete. We won't compete. We are investing billions into electrification. There is no market for electrified vehicles.

I love my CMax Energi for what it is, but the company doesn't believe in the product. And they don't seem to be working to improve it but are rumored to be discontinuing it.

Oh well. I am not particularly brand loyal. Chevy can have my business if they build a better product.

GetOffYourGas said:
Ford is bipolar when it comes to EVs. We won't compete. We will compete. We won't compete. We are investing billions into electrification. There is no market for electrified vehicles.

As much as Ford wants to think of themselves as being good corporate citizens concerned about the environment, a 100 mile Focus is a weak effort that screams "compliance car". They won't say it publicly, but their actions speak louder than words. Ford could care less about EV's. The Focus EV is essentially a tax on their business of selling F-150's.

oilerlord said:
GetOffYourGas said:

As much as Ford wants to think of themselves as being good corporate citizens concerned about the environment, a 100 mile Focus is a weak effort that screams "compliance car". They won't say it publicly, but their actions speak louder than words. Ford could care less about EV's. The Focus EV is essentially a tax on their business of selling F-150's.

True when it comes to BEVs. However, Ford is #2 for traditional (non-plug-in) hybrids, and they have been for a long time. They are also #2 for plug-in hybrids. A lot of people discount the Energi products for one reason or another, but it is one of the best cars I've owned. A Volt, although technically superior, is much more expensive, AND too small for my family.

But you are correct, AFAICT, that even hybrids are a "tax" on their F-150 business. Basically, they need to meet CAFE standards, and PHEVs are a good way to do it.

Back in 2013, I took a C-Max hybrid out on a test drive. I really liked it, but it couldn't overcome my love of wagons. This spring during my EV shopping, I strongly considered the Energi model but the battery bulge in the trunk that took up so much cargo space was a deal breaker for us. For those that can look past that, used C-Max Energi's are among the best EV deals on the market.

A 100 mile range is fine for many people as the electric vehicle is being used as a secondary vehicle to do local errands

voltage said:
michael said:
I'm a big Ford fan, but the 100 mile Focus is obsolete before it hits the showrooms

Why is that?
It's actually second to the Bolt in $/mile of range. If it has enough range for your commute, it's could be worth a look. Now has CCS standard @ $22,495 (after tax credit) and a 115 mile EPA range.
Their monthly sales will likely crack back into 3 digits on a regular basis. They could conceivably break the 2K/yr barrier for the first time.

222-8.png

JupiterMoon said:
Ford has good platforms that it make make into EVs.

They have good platforms, but not at all designed to be EV's. The Focus EV and Cmax Energi are prime examples. People still value interior space, and if Ford were to make a serious go at a competitive BEV - clearly they would need an all-new platform to do it. That's expensive, and likely doesn't align with Ford being responsible to shareholders.

oilerlord said:
They have good platforms, but not at all designed to be EV's. The Focus EV and Cmax Energi are prime examples. People still value interior space, and if Ford were to make a serious go at a competitive BEV - clearly they would need an all-new platform to do it.
Why I never really considered either of these vehicles as an option.

oilerlord said:
That's expensive, and likely doesn't align with Ford being responsible to shareholders.
I think it is irresponsible to NOT bring a competitive EV to market, and at some point shareholders are going to expect it. It's only a matter of timing.
Is now too soon for Ford to at least be developing a "true" EV? Ford apparently thinks it's not and will have the "Model E" out around 2020.

DucRider said:
oilerlord said:
They have good platforms, but not at all designed to be EV's. The Focus EV and Cmax Energi are prime examples. People still value interior space, and if Ford were to make a serious go at a competitive BEV - clearly they would need an all-new platform to do it.

oilerlord said:
That's expensive, and likely doesn't align with Ford being responsible to shareholders.
I think it is irresponsible to NOT bring a competitive EV to market, and at some point shareholders are going to expect it. It's only a matter of timing.
Is now too soon for Ford to at least be developing a "true" EV? Ford apparently thinks it's not and will have the "Model E" out around 2020.

If anything Ford has platforms (like the Fiesta and Focus) that could IMO easily be redesigned for EV use. I agree with DucRider...it's utterly stupid for Ford not to put the effort into it.

DucRider said:
oilerlord said:

I have a CMax Energi, and love it. For years, its only PHEV competition was the Volt. Despite the battery intrusion into the trunk, it still has far more space than a Volt. The Volt is too small for a family of 4. The CMax is just large enough (I do have to resort to a roof box for vacation trips).

DucRider said:

If Ford really wants to have the Model E out in 3-4 years, they better already be developing it. The Bolt was incredibly fast to market, but that was due to a huge push from GM. Probably mostly to beat the Tesla Model III. But the Bolt is the exception, and not the new norm. Most cars can take 5-6 years from concept to production.

Besides the battery pack and cost reductions of that unit, the Bolt isn't a revolutionary vehicle. It doesn't use any innovative chassis design, advanced materials, composites, etc. So bringing it into production isn't as a big deal as everyone seems to be making it to be.

Isn't it on the same assembly line as a Sonic?

JupiterMoon said:
Besides the battery pack and cost reductions of that unit, the Bolt isn't a revolutionary vehicle. It doesn't use any innovative chassis design, advanced materials, composites, etc. So bringing it into production isn't as a big deal as everyone seems to be making it to be.

Isn't it on the same assembly line as a Sonic?

On another thread, I'm looking for a way to move away from natural gas to heat my house. Unfortunately, my PV can't meet the energy / BTU requirement. Perhaps I can find a way to harness the flames coming your way.

The Chevy Bolt is already in transit so the competition would be uneven at this point

Back