Fresh air through vents

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltdolt

Is there any way to have outside air enter through the dashboard vents without using the climate control system?

Try setting it to those vents, recirculate off, and then turning off the climate control, if you haven't already done so.

Thanks. I've tried that already but nothing comes out of the vents unless I turn on the fan which turns on the climate control. It must be something simple but it is eluding me.

boltdolt said:
Thanks. I've tried that already but nothing comes out of the vents unless I turn on the fan which turns on the climate control. It must be something simple but it is eluding me.

TO determine if the pathway is still there, open a rear window a few inches, and see if you then get air from the vents while driving. If not, then the air path closes when the CC is off. That would suck.

If you have climate control on with a fan speed of 1 (lowest) you are using like 10 watts. (0.010 kw). What's the big deal?

NO big deal. Turn it on and be comfortable.
It will not measurably change your range.

gpsman said:
If you have climate control on with a fan speed of 1 (lowest) you are using like 10 watts. (0.010 kw). What's the big deal?

NO big deal. Turn it on and be comfortable.
It will not measurably change your range.

Unless the heat or A/C are on, in which case you'd have to keep messing with the settings. Sometimes it's nice to be able to just shut the CC off for a while and still get a little fresh air, while preserving the usual settings.

Slightly open a window? I do so in my PHEV; I have the same problem. I can also (partly) open the sunroof; does the Bolt come with that?

AGREED, nothing comes out of the vents unless I turn on the fan.

All I need is a small breeze to naturally combat minor fogging without using ANY additional energy. Seems like this would be no-brainier feature to maximize range.

This car appears to be sealed up pretty tight which can be good, and bad.

It is so air-tight, my rear doors need to be slammed to shut all the way.

flamaest said:
AGREED, nothing comes out of the vents unless I turn on the fan.

All I need is a small breeze to naturally combat minor fogging without using ANY additional energy. Seems like this would be no-brainier feature to maximize range.

This car appears to be sealed up pretty tight which can be good, and bad.

It is so air-tight, my rear doors need to be slammed to shut all the way.

The car is not air tight. The HVAC system has no fresh air supply with the system off because
the car has no ICE. No need for the mandatory fresh air supply like an ICE vehicle. With an ICE,
it's a DOT requirement to keep carbon monoxide from building up inside the cabin.

The cabin vents are at the rear of the cabin. Just above the rear bumper impact brace.

Here's a picture of the two rear vents.

Attachments

• 20170127_154500.jpg
    20170127_154500.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 10,089
This is great info about the DOT req, did not know that.

I have driven other EVs which do let in a slight breeze through the air vents unless I am Re-circ mode.

The Bolt air-flow model requires energy use to get air into the cabin, or opening up a window which itself can cause drag and reduce range..... I wonder if there is a super secret handshake for the Bolt's AC, much like another forum user found out how to get heat out of the HVAC for a few mins without turning on the heater.

VideoSteve said:
DOT requirement? LOL

Why do you find that funny ? DOT requires all ICE powered vehicles to have a fresh air flow without having
the HVAC turned on. It's to protect against hydrocarbons and carbon-monoxide buildup inside the cabin :ugeek:

Exhaust leaks can kill and you might not even know it's happening. Therefore, the mandated requirement from the DOT

You do know what DOT stands for, right ? If you have nothing to offer/add other than ignorance, please just shut up. Thanks!

boltdolt said:
Is there any way to have outside air enter through the dashboard vents without using the climate control system?

Hello boltdolt,

If you turn of Climate Control (turn off the “ON” button) you will not get airflow. If you want “vent” you should turn off the “recirc” button and turn off the “Heat/AC” button and then turn the fan on whatever speed you wish.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back