Full charge mileage displayed isn't 238

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
devbolt said:
Push the limits first with a backup plan. Then decide that it's un-worthy of a trip to the city.

You do sound awfully bossy here. When you become Führer, you can force us all to do things your way. In the meantime, you might as well accept the fact that many people will make choices that are different from yours. Call it diversity. It's a good thing! ;)

Can't we all get along... drive out of one charge on our Chevy Bolt EV's? :lol:

with apologies to Rodney King!

phil0909 said:
devbolt said:
Push the limits first with a backup plan. Then decide that it's un-worthy of a trip to the city.

You do sound awfully bossy here. When you become Führer, you can force us all to do things your way. In the meantime, you might as well accept the fact that many people will make choices that are different from yours. Call it diversity. It's a good thing! ;)
Bossy? No. Just trying to understand what the actual problem is and offer a potential solution. Up until recently all I was seeing "I don't think it will work" and I was trying to offer a suggestion as to how it could work. Finally I saw the "I don't want to have to think about a backup plan" post which told me all I needed to know.

phil0909 said:
devbolt said:
People who insist that everyone can drive the car beyond it's home range by using chargers are just as bad as people who insist that you can't. Everyone's driving habits and comfort levels are different.

I live in Monterey CA and needed to go to San Fransisco. I jumped on Google maps and did a mileage check.
I made it back home with 28 miles of range left. I did this the first week I owned the car. Without Google maps,
I might not have considered it and just took my truck. Now, I use Charge Point to look for DC Fast Chargers
and would consider going anywhere given the time available. If it had not been for the need to go to Frisco,
I would not have even started looking at this stuff and just used the car for work.

It's a great car and it's fun to plan a trip and link charge points to go well beyond the vehicles range :mrgreen:

I have to question whether a "real" resident of Monterey would ever make such a statement: :eek:

Attachments

• Frisco.jpg
    Frisco.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 6,669
MichaelLAX said:
I have to question whether a "real" resident of Monterey would ever make such a statement: :eek:

What statement ? Frisco ? I'm originally from Detroit :roll:

sgt1372 said:
Of course, if I'm going to drive the Bolt far enough to concern me, I will make sure that I know where the available charging stations are but I don't want to even have to worry about that.

The beauty of the Bolt is that it allows for so many more trips that fall into that category than, say, a 100-mile range BEV.

I'm not sure why this discussion is so heated. If sgt1372 has a BMW and wants to drive that to the City, then let him. He will love the Bolt much more when he can just drive it without thinking about backup plan A, let alone B/C/D/Etc.

An evenings (Friday into Saturday) driving of Uber and then DC Fast Charging from 95 miles back to full brought me back only to 210. Clearly I wasn't hypermiling those Uber passengers!

Don't mean to "flame" the fires" but I thought I'd just update my more recent experience in determining the effective range of the Bolt based on my driving style.

So, after driving the Bolt on 3 different occasions over the past week for 60-80 RT journeys at freeway speeds (70-80 mph) and over some very hilly terrain, my the estimated mid-range estimate has dropped from a previous average mid-range estimate of around 210 miles (when I mainly drove it locally around town on city streets) down to only 185 miles today. These estimates were each made after a full recharge.

This tells me that the Bolt is NOT likely to make it to and from the City (160-180 miles) the way I drive and I would NOT even bother to try doing it unless I know that I have at least 2-4 hours to partially recharge the battery on a free L2 while in town. However, the reality is that I don't want to "waste" the time waiting for the Bolt to recharge while in town, so it doesn't look like I'll ever drive it there.

There you have it! Probably the 2nd best test of how the Bolt EV will perform for your drive to SF.

Why must it be 2 hours of "free" charging? How long are you in SF? Always at the same location? Access to a 240v plug?

I am interested to see how much air conditioning will degrade my mileage. I can already see the effects of cabin heat and use countermeasures in the mild Southern California environment (even with our rainy season): seat warmers, brief cabin heating and then turn it off.

But of course hot weather is a different matter in California. I think we will have some this week and I will test how the air conditioning degrades the mileage. Once the temp rises above 85, I am not sure what, if any, countermeasure we can use.

sgt1372 said:
Don't mean to "fan the flames" but I thought I'd just update my more recent experience in determining the effective range of the Bolt based on my driving style.

So, after driving the Bolt on 3 different occasions over the past week for 60-80 RT journeys at freeway speeds (70-80 mph) and over some very hilly terrain, my the estimated mid-range estimate has dropped from a previous average mid-range estimate of around 210 miles (when I mainly drove it locally around town on city streets) down to only 185 miles today. These estimates were each made after a full recharge.

This tells me that the Bolt is NOT likely to make it to and from the City (160-180 miles) the way I drive and I would NOT even bother to try doing it unless I know that I have at least 2-4 hours to partially recharge the battery on a free L2 while in town. However, the reality is that I don't want to "waste" the time waiting for the Bolt to recharge while in town, so it doesn't look like I'll ever drive it there.

You are repeating this because...?

sgt1372 said:
...I would NOT even bother to try doing it unless I know that I have at least 2-4 hours to partially recharge the battery on a free L2 while in town. However, the reality is that I don't want to "waste" the time waiting for the Bolt to recharge while in town, so it doesn't look like I'll ever drive it there.
I am confused: on the one hand you lay out the requirements for how you would drive your Bolt EV to SF and then you say you do not want to "waste" the time waiting for a charge.

How long are you in SF? Just briefly for a pickup and return? No reason to stop for lunch?

Just looking at PlugShare: you can stop at Whole Foods and get some groceries or Walgreens, etc. and do a 30 min QC!

On another thread you mentioned you had a REAL lease; what do you mean by that expression?

MichaelLAX said:
You are repeating this because...?

Because it wasn't clear to me until NOW that it wouldn't be possible to drive into the City and back without stopping for a charge. Until now it was only speculation. My recent driving experience verifies that it is actually IMPOSSIBLE for me to drive to/from the City without stopping for a charge.

MichaelLAX said:
I am confused: on the one hand you lay out the requirements for how you would drive your Bolt EV to SF and then you say you do not want to "waste" the time waiting for a charge.

Don't see why you're confused. I'm making it clear that the only way I can make it into town and back home is to stop for a charge and I do NOT want to do that. So, I'm NEVER going to drive the Bolt into town. Seems clear enough to me.

sgt1372 said:
...Don't see why you're confused... Seems clear enough to me.
That is because confusion is in the mind of the beholder, not YOUR mind!

This statement is very confusing; you lay out two separate, inconsistent realities. Why even discuss partial charge times and how much it might cost, if you have no intention of ever driving into town? Your deal breaker is ANY amount of charging time at ANY cost!
sgt1372 said:
... I would NOT even bother to try doing it unless I know that I have at least 2-4 hours to partially recharge the battery on a free L2 while in town. However, the reality is that I don't want to "waste" the time waiting for the Bolt to recharge while in town, so it doesn't look like I'll ever drive it there.
Your clarification has now set the record straight; thank you::
sgt1372 said:
I'm making it clear that the only way I can make it into town and back home is to stop for a charge and I do NOT want to do that. So, I'm NEVER going to drive the Bolt into town. .

As Col. Nathan R. Jessup asked in the motion picture "A Few Good Men": "Are we clear?"

and Lt. Daniel Kaffee repied: "Crystal!"

Allow me one more attempt to be as clear as I can be about this.

I do NOT want to charge my Bolt while on the road -- EVER!!!

I want to be able to drive from my home to where ever I am headed and get back home on a single charge w/o worrying about whether I can make it back home or needing to stop to charge in order to do so.

Doesn't mater if it's possible to charge up to get back home or not. I don't want to spend the time looking or waiting for a charger and then waiting for the car to charge up sufficiently to make it back home. I just don't want to do this.

Based on my recent driving experience, I do NOT believe it possible FOR ME to drive from home to the City and back home (160-180 miles) in the Bolt (the way I drive it) without the need to charge en route. So, I am NOT going to drive the car into the City. Period.

That's as clear as I can make it. If it's still not clear to @MichaelLAX or others, my apologies. That's the best I can do to explain it.

Unless others want to chime in further, this is the last that I will mention it. EOM.

I guess you did not bother to read my last post...

You sure you are one year younger than I am...? :lol:

MichaelLAX said:
I guess you did not bother to read my last post...

You sure you are one year younger than I am...? :lol:

I read it but you seemed to be asking for further clarification which I attempted to provide.

And,, what does it matter what age you are or I am? Now that IS confusing. :roll:

If you'll permit me, I'll just sign off here. Seems to good can come from any further discussion of this. Ciao!

Back