GM cutting warranties from 100,000 miles to 60,000 miles

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukewarm

In a recent article on Detroit News, GM is cutting powertrain warranties from 100,000 miles to 60,000 miles starting with 2016 models.

“We talked to our customers and learned that free scheduled maintenance and warranty coverage do not rank high as a reason to purchase a vehicle among buyers of non-luxury brands,” GM said in a statement.

GM said it will reinvest savings from the reduced programs “in features consumers value more, such as advanced connected-vehicle technology.”

Will this affect the Chevy Bolt warranty? Definitely the powertrain warranty, but I wonder if GM will now offer a lower battery pack warranty too?

Full article: “We talked to our customers and learned that free scheduled maintenance and warranty coverage do not rank high as a reason to purchase a vehicle among buyers of non-luxury brands,” GM said in a statement.

GM said it will reinvest savings from the reduced programs “in features consumers value more, such as advanced connected-vehicle technology.”

IMO I think this is a bad move as we have companies like Hyundai who are offering fantastic warranties

Yes, it makes customers question manufacturer's commitment to quality and reliability.

sam said:
IMO I think this is a bad move as we have companies like Hyundai who are offering fantastic warranties

tomt said:
Yes, it makes customers question manufacturer's commitment to quality and reliability.

sam said:

Yes! That is the first thing that came to my mind...cutting the warranty means cutting quality service all around

tomt said:

sam said:

Cutting the warranty makes me leary on why they need to cut the warranty. Have they found the components are not long lasting after a certain point?

Back