GM Engineers Reveal Top 11 Cool Bolt Facts

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iletric

Read all about it!

http://insideevs.com/gm-engineers-reveal-top-11-cool-chevrolet-bolt-facts-to-motor-trend/

My favorite:

2. Bolt has asymmetric front seats. Outboard bolster is bigger to house airbag, while inside bolster is smaller.

Now wouldn't you know it...

- Pedal to the floor range at top speed of 93 mph is 160 miles
- Bolt has asymmetric front seats. Outboard bolster is bigger to house airbag, while inside bolster is smaller.
- A push of the Start button on a Bolt EV sets in motion a diagnostics test of 1,400 items. This occurs in less than 0.5 seconds.
- Bolt EV uses a resistance heater that circulates coolant through a heater core
- Smart shifter – the Bolt EV’s has no creep in the highest regen settings, so it would be easy to leave the EV in gear and exit the car…but not so with the Chevy, as the car knows to shift into park if the seat belt is unlatched and the door opens
- Bolt’s body weighs 815 pounds, or 134 pounds less than the battery pack
- Pull a rear seat cushion to access the emergency battery disconnect
- Onboard fast-charger can only handle 60 kW
- There’s a charge setting that ends battery charge at 90%. Especially useful for those in hilly areas who wish to have regen available right away
- Rear camera has its own washer, which is activated every time you shift into reverse
- Bolt charge-indicator LED on center of the dash blinks while charging and glows solid green when full

Onboard fast-charger can only handle 60 kW

Am I reading this right? The maximum charge speed is only 60kW per hour?

There goes my dream of 100kW charging.

Code:
- Onboard fast-charger can only handle 60 kW

A "fast-charger" isn't "onboard" - it's an external DC Fast-Charger. They should really have just talked about their favorite foods.

iletric said:
"On-board" is an internal charger, as far as I know.
Engineers?
Yes, it would be. But there is no way that is 60kW, it's around 7kW.

So the reference is clearly to an offboard DC charger. In which case 60kW would be the maximum the on-board controller would ask for from the offboard DC charger.

Cheers, Wayne

iletric said:
"On-board" is an internal charger, as far as I know.
Engineers?
There is a lot of confusion over the word "charger". Technically it's the piece of equipment that converts AC supplied by the power company to DC that's required for the battery. The "on board" charger that's built into the car can do this for 120V or 240V AC suppplies and will handle up to about 7.7KW of power (240V at 32A).

The "DC Fast Charger" option allows you to plug in a cord that supplies DC power directly to the car. The AC to DC conversion is done in the curbside box that the cord comes out of, and technically it's the charger. The "onboard" equipment in that case is just the car's controller that tells the curbside box what DC voltage to produce and thus controls the amount of power being fed into the battery.

I think the engineer was just being very loose with terminology when he referred to the car's DC controller module as the "onboard charger".

So far, the "engineers" have gotten the charging system description wrong, the way the rear camera cleans itself, and who knows what else - I couldn't read the piece. The Seat Screwup is starting to seem less sinister and more GM "engineering."

Back