GM planning to bring Bolt to your driveway for overnight test drive

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmvoltguy

Chevrolet has determined that it needs to redirect its marketing for the Volt in order to reach folks who would actually be interested in buying. With that, Chevy intends to offer overnight test drives for both the 2017 Volt and 2017 Bolt EV. Which doesn’t seem to far away from what Buick has done with its test drives.

While I agree that the best way for a person new to EVs to convert from gasoline is to drive an electric vehicle, I'm not conviced a driveway delivery is all that great.
I had the experience of test driving the Spark EV in freight mode, which was limited to 5mph. I've heard that some people booked Volt or LEAF test drives, and arrived to an uncharged battery pack.

IMO, getting dealership support and training is the main way to get more electric vehicles into peoples hands. People that want an EV are already researching it online, already talking on the Bolt EV Forum :)
It's converting the gasoline car buyer into an EV buyer that needs to be done AT THE DEALERSHIP when they come in to buy.

Who would book an overnight test drive unless they were already interested in the Bolt EV? This isn't doing anything to convert other buyers.

Plus, even if you wanted to, you still have to visit a dealer to buy, who might or might not have a Bolt, and might or might not want to sell you a Silverado instead.

On second thought, not having to drive around and listen to a car salesman might make the overnight test drives a real success! :)

I'd gladly pay $20 to avoid talking to a car salesperson. I don't want them coming to my home.

As long as the thing is charged up, I don't have a problem going to take a real test drive. If Nissan doesn't show us a real compelling LEAF 2.0 or other EV before the Bolt comes out, it'll be the next EV we buy.

While this program certainly won't reach those not even looking at EVs, it can have a huge impact on those who are on the fence. An GM only needs to capture those buyers to make the Bolt a success. These may be neighbors, friends, or family of people with EVs. They know the technology exists, but need to experience it themselves before committing.

So I say bring it on. Any program to get butts in seats is a good one. Once you've experienced the thrill of silent, instant torque, you never want to go back!

I was given a BMW i3 to evaluate for several days back in 2014. BMW sent me an email for the extended test drive program and I accepted. I went down to the dealer and took delivery of the car in less than 30 minutes. I had no intention of really liking the i3 but as a car guy I could not pass up the opportunity. Well, I loved that little car and the experience made me really interested in an EV, but I couldn't afford the $50,000 BMW. Unfortunately GM wouldn't lease the Spark EV here in Texas so I'm waiting on the Bolt.

I think if GM gives a certain well-trained dealers a few cars to loan out on extended test drives they could open a lot of people up to the benefits of EVs outside the green aspect. The handling, the quietness, the torque, etc.

Before I bought my first EV I simply went to the local Enterprise office and rented a Leaf for a couple of days. That was enough to convince me that an EV would work well for me but a Leaf wasn't the right choice. The Ford dealer let me take a Focus for a day and that solved the issue

Later I traded my Focus for a friends Volt for the day and found that a Volt worked well for me too

This might be a really good marketing strategy from GM. Overnight driving tests will give people more time to decide effectively. I didn't know this information, it will really help me- thanks for sharing with Chevy Bolt forum.

Can't wait to try that. Driving around in a Chevy Bolt all night! It's gonna be awesome!

The only reason I ended up in an i3 is because BMW would let me try it out overnight.

Chevy would be smart to do this also as it's pretty common knowledge in the industry that "butts in seats" is what sells EVs. The general public still seems to think they are only about cheaper refueling. Us EV owners know it's all about that torque, bout that torque, NO REVS and ninja-like silence. :mrgreen:

Back