Hilltop Reserve

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously it's your car and you can use it any way you like. However, if you give up range today by not fully charging, you can recover that range in a few hours, especially with the DCFC option.

If you dissipate your battery by fully charging when you don't need it, the ability to recover the range is lost forever. I have experienced permanent battery fade on two cars (Focus Electric and RAV4EV) and I can tell you it's no fun when the car can no longer complete trips it could when new. It's like growing old, you regret wasting your youth but you can't get it back. But in fairness, the long range of the Bolt and the ability to DCFC mitigates the ill effects of losing range. In an 80 mile class car without DCFC, a 20% range loss is a very big deal, less so for a Bolt.

But yes, do whatever suits you best. I agree, it's not my business.

And yes, she leased it. Our experiences with other EVs made that the obvious choice.

michael said:
Obviously it's your car and you can use it any way you like. However, if you give up range today by not fully charging, you can recover that range in a few hours, especially with the DCFC option.
No wonder the public dislikes electric cars!

First there is Range Anxiety; then there is making their charging expierece more complicated?

If you dissipate your battery by fully charging when you don't need it, the ability to recover the range is lost forever. says you! You can't cite me any official GM statement backing up your statement with regard to the Bolt EV!

I have experienced permanent battery fade on two cars (Focus Electric and RAV4EV) and I can tell you it's no fun when the car can no longer complete trips it could when new. It's like growing old, you regret wasting your youth but you can't get it back. Again, how much of this was due to the sheer passage of time?

But in fairness, the long range of the Bolt and the ability to DCFC mitigates the ill effects of losing range. In an 80 mile class car without DCFC, a 20% range loss is a very big deal, less so for a Bolt.

But yes, do whatever suits you best. I agree, it's not my business.

And yes, she leased it. Our experiences with other EVs made that the obvious choice.
Whether or not it's your business is not the issue. The issue is whether or not you are correct vis-a-vis the Bolt EV!

You're right. I don't know anything about the subject. I've misunderstood everything on the subject that I've read.

Let's wait for GM to give an official ruling and then we will know. The fact that GM will only guarantee 60% battery capacity over 8 years/100K miles has nothing to do with the subject.

I apologize for all the misdirection I've caused.

If you want to take it personally and respond with snark, it was not because of what I said!

You have no idea how large the Bolt EV battery capacity is, nor its reserve capacity.

And that warranty was written by GM's lawyers, not its engineers!

michaellax said:
...none of the three of you (not referring to Sean, who posted in the middle of my drafting) have any skin in the game...
I didn't have any skin in the game, either - until today. I just plopped down $1000 to order a Bolt...

michaellax said:

GM engineers recommended 60% based on what they know about the design, specifications, and projected lifespan of the battery. The lawyers wrote the warranty to protect GM from customers demanding a warranty claim when their range "inexplicably" drops by 10% or more after the second year. Specifically, customers like you.

Your inevitable freak out on Mary Barra regarding your car's drop in range isn't coming for at least another year...so hey, why worry about it? Keep the car plugged in all the time, charge to 100%, discharge to 1%, and only use DCFC on the hottest days.

SeanNelson said:
I didn't have any skin in the game, either - until today. I just plopped down $1000 to order a Bolt...

Hey, that's great Sean!

What is the ETA? What color / trim did you get? Post some photos when it arrives.

oilerlord said:
michaellax said:

GM engineers recommended 60% based on what they know about the design, specifications, and projected lifespan of the battery.
EXACTLY: Irrespective of how their customers choose to charge the battery; since none of your snarky prohibitions are warned against by Mary Barra or GM in the Bolt EV manual!

Perhaps they know something about the Bolt EV (which I notice you don't own or lease) than you don't!

But, hey! Keep giving free advice; after all... it's free!

SeanNelson said:
michaellax said:
...none of the three of you (not referring to Sean, who posted in the middle of my drafting) have any skin in the game...
I left you out of the equation, Sean, because you had previously indicated you were coming on to the Bolt EV team! No compliance car for you!

WELCOME!

Mlax, you're a piece of work dude. Mods gave you a second chance after banning you, so I did too. Welcome to my ignore list for the second time.

michaellax said:
oilerlord said:
michaellax said:
GM engineers recommended 60% based on what they know about the design, specifications, and projected lifespan of the battery. The lawyers wrote the warranty to protect GM from customers demanding a warranty claim when their range "inexplicably" drops by 10% or more after the second year. Specifically, customers like you.

Your inevitable freak out on Mary Barra regarding your car's drop in range isn't coming for at least another year...so hey, why worry about it? Keep the car plugged in all the time, charge to 100%, discharge to 1%, and only use DCFC on the hottest days.
oilerlord said:
Welcome to my ignore list for the second time.
Those that can, rebut [politely]. Those that can't, ignore!

For the record: I have had others PM me, applauding me for standing up to your bullying here on this forum!

michael said:
You're right. I don't know anything about the subject. I've misunderstood everything on the subject that I've read.

Let's wait for GM to give an official ruling and then we will know. The fact that GM will only guarantee 60% battery capacity over 8 years/100K miles has nothing to do with the subject.

Michael: Tone down the snark for one minute and give me a serious answer for one minute to this serious question:

Background:

Every single leased Chevy Bolt EV leasee is charging the vehicle EVERY night; and why not? That is the habit to get into and why would they want to go to the bother to change that habit?

Their manual does not indicate that Hilltop Reserve has any function for battery maintenance, so unless they live on top of a hill, leasees are not using that function!

So, what is GM going to do with ALL of those leased Chevy Bolt EVs that come back after 3 years, with severely damaged batteries, according to your prognosis?

Sell them at a severe discount, after disclosing the defect?

Sell them at used market price but not disclose the defect?

Completely replace the battery and sell them at used market price and take a huge financial beating?

Some other option that I have not considered?

michaellax said:
michael said:

Michael: Tone down the snark for one minute and give me a serious answer for one minute to this serious question:

Background:

Every single leased Chevy Bolt EV leasee is charging the vehicle EVERY night; and why not? That is the habit to get into and why would they want to go to the bother to change that habit?

Their manual does not indicate that Hilltop Reserve has any function for battery maintenance, so unless they live on top of a hill, leasees are not using that function!

So, what is GM going to do with ALL of those leased Chevy Bolt EVs that come back after 3 years, with severely damaged batteries, according to your prognosis?

Sell them at a severe discount, after disclosing the defect?

Sell them at used market price but not disclose the defect?

Completely replace the battery and sell them at used market price and take a huge financial beating?

Some other option that I have not considered?

GM wants the use of an EV to seem easy. They don't want to point out complications. Ditto for other manufacturers. Ford advised Focus Electric owners to leave them plugged in all the time. The batteries faded as electrochemistry would predict.

If GM described hilltop reserve as an alternative charge setting, then the EPA would require them to claim range based on the average of the two settings. A 5% hit in range. Nissan faced this same problem with the Leaf. Originally they provided the option of 80% or 100% charge. By eliminating the battery-saving 80% option, they suddenly could claim an additional 10% (approximately) range. They did that despite the fact that Leaf batteries are well known for severe fade.

Yes, every manufacturer sells the used EVs at whatever price they can. If the battery still meets the original standard (better than 60% capacity within 8 years/100K miles, it is good enough. They are not going to compromise current sales to make the thing have a higher residual value.

All lithium batteries fade with time and use. Some chemistries more, some less, but all have compromises. The batteries in the Honda Fit EV have shown good life but poor low temperature range, for example. I can tell you that low temperature performance loss is a big deal...the battery doesn't put out and the heater is sucking up kiloWatts. Range drops a lot.

GM could have provided a 20% larger battery, for example, with large reserves. This would have provided better life but higher cost. If they were going to provide a, for example, 70kWh battery, claiming 300 mile range would do much better for sales than would changing the battery warranty to, for example, 80% at 100K miles.

I think they were very clever to provide "hilltop reserve" as the rationale for a much needed battery conserving mode of operation. They were also clever to provide the 40% immediate charge option...that is the ultimate battery saver on days you only need say 40 miles of range.

They could have used the TMS to keep the battery cooler. That would have helped preserve battery life but at the cost of reduced performance and lower MPGe. If they did that, reviews would criticize the Bolt for poor efficiency, not taking note of the fact that wall power was consumed to save the battery.

So yes, they made business and engineering decisions to maximize range and minimize price at the expense of battery life. It is in the owner's hands to treat the car gently to get the most life out of the battery. Or to decide he doesn't care.

If in three years Bolts are hard to resell, it will be more because other people are then selling 300 mile EVs, and less because typical Bolts have faded to X% of their initial range.

That is a terrific all around general analysis of the issues presented and I thank you for that, but you did not answer my main question.

GM, as the premier leaseholder (and I believe the ONLY lessor in the US) of the Bolt EV is going to be stuck starting in 3 years with a massive amount of inventory of damaged batteries because, according to you, they made decisions to cleverly obscure how to protect battery life and keep range up and cost down!

How is GM going to deal with the tremendous costs involved in their massive fleet of battery damaged used Bolt EVs coming back to them at the end of ALL of these leased Bolt EVs?

You quote a lot of previous track record (although you do not distinguish battery loss due to time vs. battery loss due to charging habits). What is GM's track record on the Volt? On the Spark?

They aren't going to deal with it. They won't have to. The cars will meet specification, have more than 60% remaining capacity. They will send them out to auction sell them for as close as possible to the low residual value set in the initial leases.

Just like every single other manufacturer does. They take a loss on EV lease returns.

The few damaged batteries, they will of course repair as warranty items. Degraded batteries, provided 60% of capacity remains, they will need do nothing about.

I'm sorry, but this is my last comment on the subject. You seem unwilling to accept what I'm saying and I no longer care whether you do or do not.

oilerlord said:
SeanNelson said:
Hey, that's great Sean! What is the ETA? What color / trim did you get? Post some photos when it arrives.
They had an existing, unclaimed factory order that matched what I was looking for: a loaded Premiere in Kinetic Blue. The order shows a target production week of October 30 and they said it could be delivered by mid December. But I told them if there's any significant news about the 2018 Bolts that I reserve the right to cancel and order one of those instead. I'm not expecting that will happen, but I want to keep my options open.

Smart. Would be nice to check out a 2018 to see what or if anything has been upgraded...but of course, the google machine is your friend in that regard. Did you lease or buy?

Also, did you end up doing anything with your garage? You were concerned it was going to get too warm.

michael said:
They aren't going to deal with it. They won't have to. The cars will meet specification, have more than 60% remaining capacity. They will send them out to auction sell them for as close as possible to the low residual value set in the initial leases.

Just like every single other manufacturer does. They take a loss on EV lease returns.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how leasing works! Most of the time, the manufacturer receives their 100% on close of the lease and they are happy campers who could not care less about what happens when the cars are returned (that is the bank's problem). Here GM Financial will be the owner of EVERY SINGLE RETURNED LEASED BOLT EV in the US Market

The few damaged batteries, they will of course repair as warranty items.

Degraded batteries, provided 60% of capacity remains, they will need do nothing about.

As the owner of ALL of these returned leased Bolt EVs with degraded batteries, their "do[ing] nothing about" it is the market will do it for them! They will stand to lose millions in resale value as the MUST disclose that that they are reselling used Bolts with only 60% of capacity remaining! You just refuse to consider this point!

I'm sorry, but this is my last comment on the subject. You seem unwilling to accept what I'm saying and I no longer care whether you do or do not.
Is it me who is unwilling to accept what you are saying or you are unwilling to consider the point I am trying to make to you? I will make it one more time and be done with it:

It seems to me that GM as the ultimate owner of all of these used Bolt EVs that will be used and abused by leasees will have provided for that possibility in their design of the battery so that the problem will be NO WHERE CLOSE to what you suggest it will be!

See you in three years!

And BTW: you never addressed the history of Volt and Spark battery degradation, as I suggest you do as a historical perspective of GM's history in this regard.

oilerlord said:
Smart. Would be nice to check out a 2018 to see what or if anything has been upgraded...but of course, the google machine is your friend in that regard. Did you lease or buy?
I intend to purchase the Bolt outright. I'm a "buy and hold" kind of guy - so far the average length of time I've owned each of my cars is over 11 years. The Bolt will join my camperized Plymouth Voyager which I bought new in 1994.

Also, did you end up doing anything with your garage? You were concerned it was going to get too warm.
I'm going to be talking to an electrician about my options and costs. I have a detached garage with a 30A panel, so at the very least I plan to install a 240V/20A EVSE. Depending on the cost of pulling new wiring out to the garage I may upgrade the panel to 60A or so (for future proofing) and go for broke with a 240V/32A EVSE.

Despite the earlier conversation about heat, I'm not really that overly concerned with it up here in Vancouver - mostly I have a philosophical difference with Nissan about the wisdom of selling EVs without thermal management. And if I leave the Bolt plugged in (as I intend to) it will keep the battery temperature where it needs to be during the relatively infrequent occasions here where it might be an issue.

Sean:

I am surprisingly happy with my 20A Clipper Creek LCS-25P that I finally had activated in my garage that was collecting dust since my Volt days! Even when the Bolt EV is down to electrons this unit gets it back to full on mostly an overnight charge! So the 32A unit may be overkill, especially if you have to spend $$$ to put it in.

I am also a long-term hold car guy: Volvo - 13 years; Original 97 Chrysler Sebring Convertible 12 years; current 08 Chrysler Sebring hardtop convertible (which I "watched" for 4 months during the Bush/Obama bailouts and jumped in and purchased the week when Chrysler filed for bankruptcy);

But when it came to driving an iPhone, I just don't see the efficacy of trying to get 12 years out of my original iPhone 3g (if you get my drift)!

Hence the 3 year lease on the 13 Volt and the 17 Bolt EV!

Back