How Do You Turn Off the Radio?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drdiesel1 said:
The Bolt's audio/infotainment system is completely new and has nothing to do with any other setup from GM.
It's never been used on any other car GM produces. You can not compare it to anything else, like the Volt or Spark :!:
One can compare its operation to the expectation a reasonable person would have of similar equipment. Every other automobile sound system I've interacted with (between cars I've owned, Chevy loaners, rental cars, and the cars of friends) has been capable of remembering its "mute state" between power-ups.

The Bolt EV infotainment system remembers EVERY OTHER SETTING (Volume, Channel, Source, Balance, even the "Application" screen that was last frontmost) in between power ups. The fact that the "mute" state is mostly forgotten between power ups should be a clear indication that something is not "operating as designed" (or was not designed as intended).

The sooner Chevy realizes (or can be convinced) that this is a BUG-- an obviously unintentional error by a programmer (who, we can presume, was likely pressed to make a shipping deadline) --the sooner they can start working on a fix.

In the meantime, more and more of us will have to decide between singing our car's many praises vs. dwelling on the small number of obnoxiously inconvenient flaws when we interact with others who are curious about our cars.

rybolt said:
drdiesel1 said:
The Bolt's audio/infotainment system is completely new and has nothing to do with any other setup from GM.
It's never been used on any other car GM produces. You can not compare it to anything else, like the Volt or Spark :!:
One can compare its operation to the expectation a reasonable person would have of similar equipment. Every other automobile sound system I've interacted with (between cars I've owned, Chevy loaners, rental cars, and the cars of friends) has been capable of remembering its "mute state" between power-ups.

The Bolt EV infotainment system remembers EVERY OTHER SETTING (Volume, Channel, Source, Balance, even the "Application" screen that was last frontmost) in between power ups. The fact that the "mute" state is mostly forgotten between power ups should be a clear indication that something is not "operating as designed" (or was not designed as intended).

The sooner Chevy realizes (or can be convinced) that this is a BUG-- an obviously unintentional error by a programmer (who, we can presume, was likely pressed to make a shipping deadline) --the sooner they can start working on a fix.

In the meantime, more and more of us will have to decide between singing our car's many praises vs. dwelling on the small number of obnoxiously inconvenient flaws when we interact with others who are curious about our cars.

My Ram Diesel pickup has the same setup. When you power it down, it only goes to mute mode. It's not the same as older radios!
Welcome to the 21st and a 1/2 century :mrgreen: Duck Dodgers :lol:

Well, on mine it continues to decide to play again after the power off button has been pressed (which stupidly only results in mute rather than power off).

My wife and I drove it 130 miles round trip yesterday, our longest trip yet, and with both Sirius and FM radio we would hit the power(mute) button, it would stop, and approximately a minute later it would start playing again. All. By. Itself.

Did the same thing after pressing the phone button (WTF?) to get the radio to stop. Pressing and holding the power (mute) button would kill the radio, but also make the center screen go dark.

My wife spent much of the trip fiddling with every screen she could find, every icon she could press, and the owner's manual, and in the end conceded defeat. We can't figure out how to turn the radio off in this marvelous car. I mean, for God's sake, in 1937 or whenever it was that radios were first installed in cars I bet it took people about 10 seconds to figure out how to turn them off.

80 or so years of technological advancement later two college grads can't figure out how to turn off the radio in their new Chevy.

Furthermore, the radio still turns on, whether or I want it to or not, every time I start the car.

Driving me crazy.

samiam95124 said:
I push the power button in the middle of the volume knob.

Sorry, was that too simple?

And as for this helpful reply, as noted in the original post, doing exactly that isn't working.

Sorry, was that too simple?

Try this:

Audio/ menu/ auto volume/ select off and turn the radio on and the volume all the way down. When the car comes on it should be off.
Rob

ps:
You can also reach these in the "Settings" menu.

I don't understand why so many people seem to be apologizing for or justifying this peculiarity of the Infotainment system's operation.

How hard is it to say THIS IS A BUG and CHEVY SHOULD FIX THIS?

It's not about the semantics of "radio off" vs. "mute" -- there's a button that, when you push it, turns the sound off! Is it so unreasonable to expect the car to remember this setting, like it does EVERY other setting on the Infotainment system?

Turning the volume allll the way down is one way to accomplish this, and a great way to not be blasted by sound when you turn your car back on, but it's still a work-around.

c'mon, everyone. We know we're early adopters. We know we're going to find things Chevy didn't discover during testing. By making design excuses and getting lost in linguistic weeds, we're just setting our Bolts up to frustrate the next driver. Let's help make a better Bolt by stepping up and telling Chevy that there's a documented, repeatable glitch that needs fixing.

Once again, as they say, the number to call is 855-478-7767

This "glitch" seems to be in a few other Chevy models. It makes me think it's a "feature". Bad design choice? Probably yeah.

rybolt said:
I don't understand why so many people seem to be apologizing for or justifying this peculiarity of the Infotainment system's operation.

How hard is it to say THIS IS A BUG and CHEVY SHOULD FIX THIS?

It's not about the semantics of "radio off" vs. "mute" -- there's a button that, when you push it, turns the sound off! Is it so unreasonable to expect the car to remember this setting, like it does EVERY other setting on the Infotainment system?

Turning the volume allll the way down is one way to accomplish this, and a great way to not be blasted by sound when you turn your car back on, but it's still a work-around.

c'mon, everyone. We know we're early adopters. We know we're going to find things Chevy didn't discover during testing. By making design excuses and getting lost in linguistic weeds, we're just setting our Bolts up to frustrate the next driver. Let's help make a better Bolt by stepping up and telling Chevy that there's a documented, repeatable glitch that needs fixing.

Once again, as they say, the number to call is 855-478-7767

I'm not sure you understand. The menu allows you to set the volume when the car comes on from "off" to loud so even if you have the volume loud when you turn the car off this is a simple way to have the volume off when the car is turned back on.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, I just did it the first time I didn't want the radio to come on when I turned on the car. I kind of like this system because I often find having the option to set the volume to a specific point when the car comes on is better than the last volume setting especially in multi driver households.

Mute button on steering wheel noted.

Can someone tell me how to stop that stupid startup sound from playing every time I get in or start the car?

Can I mute that?

Eriamjh1138 said:
Mute button on steering wheel noted.

Can someone tell me how to stop that stupid startup sound from playing every time I get in or start the car?

Can I mute that?
Seriously should be an option after being "introduced" to my car these many times.

scbolt said:
Speaking of the updated version of the Infotainment System, what is the latest version? I purchased my Bolt mid-May and the Infotainment System version is: 14.1.0

How does one determine which version of software one's Infotrainment System has?

Eriamjh1138 said:
scbolt said:
Speaking of the updated version of the Infotainment System, what is the latest version? I purchased my Bolt mid-May and the Infotainment System version is: 14.1.0

How does one determine which version of software one's Infotrainment System has?

See page 159 of the user guide. From home, go to icon view, then settings, then software information, then software update

alienbogey said:
My wife and I drove it 130 miles round trip yesterday, our longest trip yet, and with both Sirius and FM radio we would hit the power(mute) button, it would stop, and approximately a minute later it would start playing again. All. By. Itself.

Do you know what version of software your radio is running? Settings > SW Info > System Update

Also are you using KeyPass? If you have 13.4.0 and using KeyPass then the radio may be coming on due to a concern with personalization settings.

Bulletin #17-NA-071 should be used to update the radio to 14.1.0. Condition: Some personalization options lost or changed such as
favorite stations, source, screen color/theme, etc.

Eriamjh1138 said:

Can I mute that?
Radio Settings -> Audio Cues: Off

The manual (page 177) never defines what "Audio Cues" are, but it's the swooshy sound that plays with the animation on power-up and power-down, and I am grateful that there's a way to turn it off!

I should note, my vehicle (which IS running 14.1.0) doesn't ALWAYS respect the "Audio Cues" setting on every power-up; it follows the setting about 90% of the time (and 100% on power-down). If I could figure out what conditions provoke it, I'd report it to the Infotainment Hotline and my dealer, much as I'm hoping other drivers are doing regarding the lack of mute memory.

Robaroni said:
I'm not sure you understand. The menu allows you to set the volume when the car comes on from "off" to loud so even if you have the volume loud when you turn the car off this is a simple way to have the volume off when the car is turned back on.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, I just did it the first time I didn't want the radio to come on when I turned on the car. I kind of like this system because I often find having the option to set the volume to a specific point when the car comes on is better than the last volume setting especially in multi driver households.
I do understand. It's a clever way to have the car turn the volume all the way down for you in between power-ups. I'm glad it works for you!

However, as I am a single-driver household, I would ALSO prefer that the mute remember its state, so that when I "turn on" the sound, it comes back at the volume at which I left it. This is not an unusual behavior to want; every car I drove while waiting for my Bolt EV (I was renting weekly for three months) could remember whether the freakin' sound was left "on" or "off" in between drives. Whose idea was it for the Bolt's Infotainment system to buck this particular convention?

I'm not at all convinced this was the intended operation.

Should GM be motivated to assign this issue to engineering, it should be a fairly trivial fix for someone with access to the Infotainment system's source code. They're already saving variables for volume, balance, fade, tone, source, station, and a host of other things in between power-cycles. In purely broad-strokes terms, it feels like someone just forgot to store (or recall) the TRUE/FALSE value for the mute state. As customers, we'll never know for sure, but I'm willing to bet it's literally ONE line of code; two tops.

rybolt said:
Robaroni said:

I do understand. It's a clever way to have the car turn the volume all the way down for you in between power-ups. I'm glad it works for you!

However, as I am a single-driver household, I would ALSO prefer that the mute remember its state, so that when I "turn on" the sound, it comes back at the volume at which I left it. This is not an unusual behavior to want; every car I drove while waiting for my Bolt EV (I was renting weekly for three months) could remember whether the freakin' sound was left "on" or "off" in between drives. Whose idea was it for the Bolt's Infotainment system to buck this particular convention?

I'm not at all convinced this was the intended operation.

Should GM be motivated to assign this issue to engineering, it should be a fairly trivial fix for someone with access to the Infotainment system's source code. They're already saving variables for volume, balance, fade, tone, source, station, and a host of other things in between power-cycles. In purely broad-strokes terms, it feels like someone just forgot to store (or recall) the TRUE/FALSE value for the mute state. As customers, we'll never know for sure, but I'm willing to bet it's literally ONE line of code; two tops.

I does work for us and by the way one of my jobs is programming embedded uC's (microcontrollers) in assembly language.

rybolt said:

The manual (page 177) never defines what "Audio Cues" are, but it's the swooshy sound that plays with the animation on power-up and power-down, and I am grateful that there's a way to turn it off!

I should note, my vehicle (which IS running 14.1.0) doesn't ALWAYS respect the "Audio Cues" setting on every power-up; it follows the setting about 90% of the time (and 100% on power-down). If I could figure out what conditions provoke it, I'd report it to the Infotainment Hotline and my dealer, much as I'm hoping other drivers are doing regarding the lack of mute memory.
My god that's the best! Thank you for that.

rybolt said:
Eriamjh1138 said:

Can I mute that?

Thank you for this tip! I've had some peace and quiet for a few days since I turned that off.

I thought audio cues was the beeping it did when you hit the screen to change things. Nope! Still beeps (and that's OK).

Must be a pretty good car if this is what people are complaining about!

"A bitching sailor is a happy sailor" as the old expression goes. Hat's off to GM- good job!

Back