How does Bolt predict mileage ranges?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeanNelson said:
MichaelLAX said:
There is no guessing involved and using the word "guess" to describe the Mileage Gauge on the Bolt EV is an insult to all Bolt EV drivers!
Using "Guess-O-Meter" to colourfully describe the estimated range reminds us of the need to be cautious about it...
I didn't realize before you are British which explains much about your opinions on this forum, and less about my need to debate them!

MichaelLAX said:
SeanNelson said:
MichaelLAX said:
There is no guessing involved and using the word "guess" to describe the Mileage Gauge on the Bolt EV is an insult to all Bolt EV drivers!
Using "Guess-O-Meter" to colourfully describe the estimated range reminds us of the need to be cautious about it...
I didn't realize before you are British which explains much about your opinions on this forum, and less about my need to debate them!
Actually I'm Canadian, eh?

So then I guess you don't mind my using "Upper US" as a "colourful" way to describe how I feel about you using "Guess-o-Meter" on the Bolt EV? hahaha :D

MichaelLAX said:
So then I guess you don't mind my using "Upper US" as a "colourful" way to describe how I feel about you using "Guess-o-Meter" on the Bolt EV? hahaha :D
The fact that I have no idea what you mean by that prevents me from taking offense...

SeanNelson said:
MichaelLAX said:
The "Guess o Meter" moniker was given to the Nissan Leaf and is an insult to the Bolt EV!
While I appreciate the sentiment given the wonky way the Leaf's estimated range works, even the Bolt's estimated range is still just a guess - so "Guess-O-Meter" is an appropriate moniker, IMHO.
It's a good guess. Still, unless we get some sort of quantum-entangled prognostication from this thing that absolutely knows the future, its just a guess (guestimate).

SeanNelson said:
There certainly is a guess involved, because the car cannot predict future conditions. Even if you do drive exactly the same route, traffic, weather conditions and other factors can and do affect range. It is very unwise to place too much trust in the estimated range, particularly if you know that your future driving conditions are going to differ from past ones (you need to go up a long grade, for example).

Yes, it's a much more educated guess than we've seen in some other cars. But an educated guess it still is.

Using "Guess-O-Meter" to colourfully describe the estimated range reminds us of the need to be cautious about it, and it's also a good way to help educate new EV drivers who have a consistent habit of asking why they can't get the advertised range or even the range that's displayed in big numbers on their dashboards.

Excellent post. The Guess-O-Meter looks at past performance to predict future performance.
An interesting analogy popped into my head the other day while I was flying the Pawnee.
Driving this car is a lot like soaring, and the GOM is like your McCready setting.
What SOC you're willing to launch with for the next charge station is comparable to how early you're willing
to leave the thermal you're in to head to the next one. The GOM 'guesses' your range based on past
performance, like your McCready setting 'guesses' that your future thermals will be like past ones.

Gasoline vehicles have a Fuel Gauge not a Mileage Gauge and the remaining amount of fuel is subject to the same "future" concerns.

The analogy on the Bolt EV is the Energy Used Gauge which is highly accurate!

I watch three indicators on a long trip: The Mileage Remaining on my Nav, the Mileage Gauge and the Energy Used Gauge. If I know the topography from having driven it before, then I know approximately how much charge I need to get to my next charging station or home as need be.

Remember, if the next charging station is only 130 miles instead of 220 miles, it makes a BIG difference!

Also the Bolt EV provides a MAX and MIN to their Mileage Gauge: I ask the question: How many times has it been wrong for you for future drives within those MIN/MAX parameters?

I still maintain that "guess" is an insult to the technology provided in the Bolt EV!

Back