How much EV range do you actually need?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
charge said:
For those with Plan A, Plan B, etc.:
If you knew the probability of an available charging parking spot NOT being available, you can calculate the odds of making it home without calling AAA.

For my example above, Plan A (DCQC when we arrive) is more like 10% not available mostly due to the chance of being busy, Plan B is about 0.01% not available (but would add a half an hour), Plan C would be to use the DCQC after dinner (maybe a 1% risk) if not too many people are waiting for a charge (again would add some time), and there are about 10 L2's in easy driving distance and not far out of our way... Yes, would add an hour to the trip to bail to Plan D or E or F or G or H or... Having the whole state's electric grid go down would be a larger risk, as that would take out all of these stations. While that has not yet happened in Washington State, it has happened elsewhere.

I don't know of any charging stations that are anything close to as bad as you suggest. Yes, some can get busy. Some are broken, but you usually can find that out in advance. Especially free ones, which are somewhat higher risk of being down and a much larger risk of being busy.

charge said:
If you knew the probability of an available charging parking spot NOT being available, you can calculate the odds of making it home without calling AAA. Like this: For Plan A = 30% chance of NOT being there for you, backup Plan B = 40%, and Plan C = 60%...
Those unavailability percentages seem pretty high to me. Remember that you always have the "just wait for it to be free" option unless the charger is physically broken.

SeanNelson said:
charge said:
If you knew the probability of an available charging parking spot NOT being available, you can calculate the odds of making it home without calling AAA. Like this: For Plan A = 30% chance of NOT being there for you, backup Plan B = 40%, and Plan C = 60%...
Those unavailability percentages seem pretty high to me. Remember that you always have the "just wait for it to be free" option unless the charger is physically broken.
And 120 V outlets are ubiquitous.

DucRider said:
Quite honestly, I do not see how everybody does not have the DCFC adapter AND a portable 110v/220v charging cord in the back of their Bolt EV!

I chose the AV TurboCord since it was only $100 more than the "extra" cord that Chevy sells that is only single voltage (although there is some discussions of "modifications" to make it dual-voltage).

Of course 110v charging is horribly slow, but I lived through it with my Volt and any port in an ubiquitous storm!

MichaelLAX said:
DucRider said:
Quite honestly, I do not see how everybody does not have the DCFC adapter AND a portable 110v/220v charging cord in the back of their Bolt EV!

I chose the AV TurboCord since it was only $100 more than the "extra" cord that Chevy sells that is only single voltage (although there is some discussions of "modifications" to make it dual-voltage).

Of course 110v charging is horribly slow, but I lived through it with my Volt and any port in a storm!

Voltages in the US are 120, 208 (commercial) and 240. 110 and 220 have been gone for decades now.

LeftieBiker said:
MichaelLAX said:
DucRider said:

Of course 110v charging is horribly slow, but I lived through it with my Volt and any port in a storm!

Voltages in the US are 120, 208 (commercial) and 240. 110 and 220 have been gone for decades now.

That's true, but us old-timers still use the terms "110" and "117" for 120 household supply, and "220" to refer to 208/240 commercial/residential supplies.

And I agree...I always carried a 110/220 (sic) Turbo Cord in my Focus Electric and will with my future Bolt.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm 58. How old are you 'Old-timers'? Maybe I should come here more often, to feel young again.
Let's put it this way: I am covered by Medicare; you have to worry!!! :lol:

MichaelLAX said:
DucRider said:

What kind of adapter are you talking about? Have a pic of or link to one?

BTW, I'm 66.

sgt1372 said:
MichaelLAX said:
DucRider said:

What kind of adapter are you talking about? Have a pic of or link to one?

BTW, I'm 66.
Just a youngster! I was born a year before ya!

Notice the mauve colored cover just below the J1772 charging plug. It is covering the additional portion of the DCFC-CCS fast charging adapter that has been added to this particular Bolt EV (and note a full DCFC-CCS charging plug below it for comparison):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.34.27 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.34.27 AM.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 7,626
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.29.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.29.08 AM.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 7,626
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.22.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 10.22.37 AM.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 7,626
No insult taken...

Always happy to learn the correct terminology! :D

Having studied Computer Science, English is my 2nd language! :lol:

SeanNelson said:
I'm hearing here that there seems to be a plethora of charging stations collecting dust on the west coast. Not so in the middle of the country.
Its the supply/demand ratio that counts, and far more electric cars are sold out on the west coast too, so interesting that there are still enough charging stations.

You and another commenter above bring up a good point about time you're willing to allocate to waiting for your car to charge at a station. There is another reason to avoid charging stations: Who has the time to wait? Unless its DCFC or there is something you really want to do while waiting, its not worth it. Charge at home and be done with it.

charge said:
SeanNelson said:
I'm hearing here that there seems to be a plethora of charging stations collecting dust on the west coast. Not so in the middle of the country.
Its the supply/demand ratio that counts, and far more electric cars are sold out on the west coast too, so interesting that there are still enough charging stations.

You and another commenter above bring up a good point about time you're willing to allocate to waiting for your car to charge at a station. There is another reason to avoid charging stations: Who has the time to wait? Unless its DCFC or there is something you really want to do while waiting, its not worth it. Charge at home and be done with it.

- Charging spots are ALL OVER San Jose and the San Francisco peninsula, yes - look in PlugShare. And those are the public ones - many tech companies provide charging at work as well. And of course charging spot availability drastically affects the experience for EV drivers. So does having an ICE available (two drivers, two cars, one is an EV).

- "interesting that there are still enough charging stations" ; well, we generally charge at home. Or at work. The public chargers are there to be used if needed. When there are 10-20 DCFCs along a given route, you simply pick the one that is currently available. And I almost never wait for a charger because if I have to drive 'out of range' and there aren't lots of chargers available, then I just take the ICE (maybe once every 4-6 weeks). And waiting 15 mins for a DCFC isn't a big deal if it is only once every 6 months.

- "waiting for your car to charge ....". If I am out and about, and would like a 'sanity charge' (so I don't worry about range), those 24 kW chargers are really great in the strip malls. Stop off to pick up groceries or whatever and 20 mins later you get back to the car and have an extra 30 miles of range. (Useful for those like me who 'only' have 80 miles or so of range). I am finding that these chargers bring me to locations - my first choice 'drug store' (for batteries, snacks, band-aids, etc) is now the one that has that 20 kW charger. The L2 chargers are great at places where you are going to spend an hour or more: restaurant, movie theater, large shopping mall, hiking trails, fitness center, downtown shopping area, ...etc...

I do those 'sanity charges' a lot, but I only charge for 10-20 minutes to get 5-10% added. It's usually all I need to not worry.

Back