I bought my 2017 Bolt EV about 3 years ago and I assume it was a lease turn in.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allsmiles277

It has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. Before this car I had a 2012 I-MiEV which got about 63 miles per charge and I was terrified. I thought having a car that originally got 238 miles per charge would solve my range anxiety. No......it didn't and I had the upgrade battery put in about 1 1/2 years ago and that raised the mileage to 259 miles per charge. Recently I left home with a full charge of 232 miles and the trip was 170 miles. The weather had turned cold and I was a little scared and when I got to my destination I had 87 miles left on the battery pack. It was about 61-71 degrees during that trip and I think that made all the difference. Most of my level 2 charging has been free for my car's history. Charging infrastructure is not very good on my way to my current destination except for free Level 2 charging. I am hoping my next EV will get 363-500 miles per charge.

It has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. Before this car I had a 2012 I-MiEV which got about 63 miles per charge and I was terrified. I thought having a car that originally got 238 miles per charge would solve my range anxiety. No......it didn't and I had the upgrade battery put in about 1 1/2 years ago and that raised the mileage to 259 miles per charge. Recently I left home with a full charge of 232 miles and the trip was 170 miles. The weather had turned cold and I was a little scared and when I got to my destination I had 87 miles left on the battery pack. It was about 61-71 degrees during that trip and I think that made all the difference. Most of my level 2 charging has been free for my car's history. Charging infrastructure is not very good on my way to my current destination except for free Level 2 charging. I am hoping my next EV will get 363-500 miles per charge.
To be honest, I have never had range anxiety beyond that which you feel with a gasoline car on long journeys looking for a gas station. I have done up to 2000 miles in a single 3-day vacation; with proper planning and backup chargers, I had no problems doing 400 miles in a day.

head-on and side winds can really reduce the range. Hopefully the Bolt guessometer will eventually get upgrade for better accuracy. For example, Tesla's destination estimate of remaining charge includes elevation. It claims to also include wind data, but I haven't experience that yet.

head-on and side winds can really reduce the range. Hopefully the Bolt guessometer will eventually get upgrade for better accuracy. For example, Tesla's destination estimate of remaining charge includes elevation. It claims to also include wind data, but I haven't experience that yet.
The free ABRP will predict range to a planned stop including your weather and traffic, if you have an OBD adapter.

To be honest, I have never had range anxiety beyond that which you feel with a gasoline car on long journeys looking for a gas station. I have done up to 2000 miles in a single 3-day vacation; with proper planning and backup chargers, I had no problems doing 400 miles in a day.

We've done 400 mile days, with charging during meal stops.
I use ABRP to plot my routes, but always check the proposed destinations in Plugshare. I found some that had never been installed, and some that had been removed.

Plugshare Trip Planner has a better view of the unplanned chargers along a route. You can add a few more chargers to the planned trip around a given charging stop. The Trip Planner on Android Auto lets you get directions to "nearby" stations (within 10 miles), or any of the stops that you added to the saved trip. ("backup chargers")

In Los Angeles, the charging locations are crowded, so it's nice to have the nearby alternates on the screen.

Back