Ioniq vs Bolt: 124 miles or $9,280?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sgt1372 said:
OP did not specify lease or purchase. Just presented the choice of 124 miles or $9280, which I rearded as a false dichotomy.
How is it a "false dichotomy" to ask the question "are you willing to pay $9280 in order to get another 124 miles of range"? You may argue the numbers, but the question itself is a perfectly cromulent one.

SeanNelson said:
sgt1372 said:
OP did not specify lease or purchase. Just presented the choice of 124 miles or $9280, which I rearded as a false dichotomy.

How is it a "false dichotomy" to ask the question "are you willing to pay $9280 in order to get another 124 miles of range"? You may argue the numbers, but the question itself is a perfectly cromulent one.

LOL!!! I had to look up "cromulent."

Do you know that it's NOT a real word -- that it was made up as a nonsense term for an episode of The Simpsons.

The meaning as defined in the Urban Dictionary is: "Used in an ironical sense to mean legitimate, and therefore, in reality, spurious and not at all legitimate."

See: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cromulent

The meaning as defined in Dictionary.com is similar: "Appearing legitimate but actually being spurious: These citations are indeed cromulent. [a word used by the schoolteacher, Miss Hoover, in an episode of The Simpsons, in which she defended one made-up word by making up another]

See: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cromulent

So, you are essentially agree with me when you use the term because you are saying that the question of whether one is willing to pay $9280 extra to get 124 miles of additional range is in fact a "spurious" proposition and "not at all legitimate," as was my premise that the question set up a false choice dichotomy because few, if any people, would have to make such a choice.

sgt1372 said:
SeanNelson said:
sgt1372 said:

Do you know that it's NOT a real word -- that it was made up as a nonsense term for an episode of The Simpsons.
Ah, poor Mrs. Crabapple, rest her soul. I remember guffawing when I heard that line.

I wouldn't say that it's in common usage, but IMHO it's a perfectly cromulent word and you do see it here and there. I like to use it where I can in an effort to encourage its spread. ;)

I still don't see what's wrong with the OP's question.

SparkE said:
SeanNelson said:
... I like to use it where I can in an effort to encourage its spread. ;)
I have a friend that specifically requests $2 and $1 coins at the bank, for the same reason.
That ship sailed long ago here in Canada. In fact I do the opposite - during the transition to "loonies" and "toonies" I started hoarding $1 and $2 bills - and now every so often I dole out one of them when I'm paying for something just to see what the reaction will be. These coins were introduced around 20+ years ago, so plenty of people have never actually seen the paper money equivalent. It's fun to watch their eyes go wide in amazement.

But (to awkwardly bring us back on topic) it would take quite a few of them to buy any EV, Ioniq, Bolt or otherwise.

sgt1372 said:

SeanNelson said:

sgt1372 said:

Sgt, I asked a simple question that somehow morphed into "false dichotomy". I even posted photos to show that I wasn't making this stuff up...what was "false" about it? Please be specific. At the time of the post, one car's MSRP is $9280 more than the other one. That $9280 yields an extra 124 EPA miles. I didn't ask the question "Which car offers the best lease deal?" or "which car is better?".

So, would you pay $9280 more for those 124 miles? Some would, others wouldn't. It is a valid question. Yes or no will suffice.

oilerlord said:
So, would you pay $9280 more for those 124 miles? Some would, others wouldn't. It is a valid question. Yes or no will suffice.
There are too many differences between the Ioniq and Bolt to isolate only the range. If there were two versions of the Bolt available, I doubt I would pay $9K for 124 miles longer range.

I would not pay the extra $9K for the Ioniq, but then again I would not purchase either of these cars new.
If, in three years, a used Bolt is $14K and a used Ioniq is $10K, I might very well choose the Bolt.

Your question assumes a purchase of the car. Many do not.

Any new EV I obtained would be leased, and I would pay the extra ~$20(?)/mo. The better performance, handling and utility - to me - of the Bolt would easily justify that.

DucRider said:
I would not pay the extra $9K for the Ioniq, but then again I would not purchase either of these cars new.
If, in three years, a used Bolt is $14K and a used Ioniq is $10K, I might very well choose the Bolt.

Any new EV I obtained would be leased, and I would pay the extra ~$20(?)/mo. The better performance, handling and utility - to me - of the Bolt would easily justify that.

ygap4.gif

oilerlord said:
DucRider said:

ygap4.gif
We'll make it simple for you.
I likely would take a Bolt with 124 miles of range for an MSRP of $29,500 (before incentives)
I would NOT take a 2017 Ioniq with 124 miles of range for the same $29,500 (base versions on both)

DucRider said:
We'll make it simple for you.
I likely would take a Bolt with 124 miles of range for an MSRP of $29,500 (before incentives)
I would NOT take a 2017 Ioniq with 124 miles of range for the same $29,500 (base versions on both)

And I would prefer a yellow apple to a red one. What do you MEAN that in no way answers the question you actually asked? :mrgreen:

Back