is removing head rest safe?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterCT

I'm asking a question, not stating an opinion. I've assumed that head rests exists to keep your neck from snapping in a frontal or rear aspect collision. So I'm puzzled to see reports on this forum that owners are removing head rests because they're uncomfortable. I'm asking, not stating. Is it an inherently unsafe act? Was the Bolt safety tested with crash dummies and the head rests removed?

I'm clueless. I'd love to be educated on this by anyone who has something factual to share.

PS: Notice my use of the word "assume" above. An old USAF joke was that "Assume makes an A-- out of U and ME".

Having no headrest is much less safe in some types of crash - mainly rear impact crashes. If the headrest is removed, it should at least be re-angled in a vise and reinstalled. That uncomfortable position, though, is apparently best for head protection in rear impacts. I believe the cushion actually changes its angle in a crash. Maybe for that brief moment it becomes comfortable. ;-)

Only rear headrests, and only on cars that never have anyone in the back seat. The purpose is to enhance rearward vision.
If I ever took someone for a ride back there, I'd certainly replace the headrest.

EldRick said:
Only rear headrests, and only on cars that never have anyone in the back seat. The purpose is to enhance rearward vision.
If I ever took someone for a ride back there, I'd certainly replace the headrest.

I removed my rear headrests because I almost never had a passenger back there. Lately I've had a few drives with two other people, so I reinstalled the one on the passenger side in the rear.

The head restraints are there to reduce the risk of whiplash injuries if you get hit in the rear.

Due to publicity around IIHS rear crash testing, car companies have designed more effective ones. However, one aspect of effectiveness is how close they are to the head in normal driving, so that there is space for the head to move before being caught by the head restraint. But since such positioning is based on a "typical" occupant, someone who normally keeps his/her head more back (relative to the seat back) may find such a head restraint less comfortable if it actually prevents him/her from leaning his/her head back as s/he normally holds it.

EldRick said:

Note that the rear ones in the Bolt (and some other cars) can be folded down to reduce (but not completely eliminate) the blocked view to the rear. If someone gets into the back seat, s/he can just fold them back to the upright position.

If you have the Premier, use the rear vision camera mirror instead of removing the rear headrests. Even though I rarely will have rear passengers in the car, I always leave the rear headrests installed. I've driven this way for decades and know how to use my side mirrors to supplement the view from the rearview mirror.

LeftieBiker said:
Having no headrest is much less safe in some types of crash - mainly rear impact crashes. Maybe for that brief moment it becomes comfortable. ;-)

From personal experience, yes. Leaf seat including headrest never felt more comfortable than it did for the second or so while getting smacked from behind.

Back