Is there a plan for a dual charger option?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetEV

This would allow full usage of higher power L2 chargers in remote areas. Would be more commonly desired for more rural areas, where high power L2s are a better solution than DCQCs.

Suppose I'm going here:

501 3 Ave, Fernie, BC V0B 1M0, Canada

There is a 70 A 230V L2 charging station there.

I'd like to charge at 15.3kW rather than 7.6kW.

WetEV said:

You can't do that with the Bolt as it's manufactured today. Whether the built-in charger will be upgraded in future models to handle higher power levels is anyone's guess, but my suspicion is that it's further down on the priority list than a lot of other stuff.

SeanNelson said:
WetEV said:

You can't do that with the Bolt as it's manufactured today. Whether the built-in charger will be upgraded in future models to handle higher power levels is anyone's guess, but my suspicion is that it's further down on the priority list than a lot of other stuff.

Yes, I know that the Bolt can't do this today. I'm asking the question to make sure GM has this on the priority list, as it is something I'd like.

The major use of an electric is commuting. No out of home changing needed.

Longer trips in cities use DCQC. Bolt has this, only real issue is higher DCQC currents would be nice.

Less common still would be longer trips outside cities. This is where higher current charger in the car would be useful, as that is where the stations are higher current L2s.

WetEV said:
This would allow full usage of higher power L2 chargers in remote areas. Would be more commonly desired for more rural areas, where high power L2s are a better solution than DCQCs.

Suppose I'm going here:

501 3 Ave, Fernie, BC V0B 1M0, Canada

Hi WetEV,

Right now we have no plans to make this available. However, I have gone ahead and logged your suggestion within our systems. This will allow our internal teams the opportunity to review your input for potential future product development.

If you have additional questions, comments or feedback to provide about the Bolt EV, please feel free to reach out to us again.

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I'm all for this as an option. An 80A/240V (19.2kW - the limit of the J1772 standard) EVSE is cheaper to install than a 25kW DC charger. So for this "intermediate" charge rate (faster than normal, but not really quick charging), it makes more sense to install the 80A AC EVSE. Cheaper installations can lead to more infrastructure being built.

As a bonus, any modern EV can still use that charger. Even my "old" 2012 Leaf with an 18A charger will use it, just at a lower rate. If a DC charger were to be installed, I wouldn't be able to use it (no CHAdeMO port on my car).

Many people won't want or need this option, but that's exactly why you make it an option.

a) Where would you put a second charger? Look under the hood - not a lot of free space there.
b) As a one-in-a-hundred-choose-it option it would be expensive - would you really want to pay an extra thousand dollars or so for this?
c) Installing an 80a-capable EVSE would get expensive for a 100a installation (as much power as most full homes). Maybe another $500-1000 over the cost of a 40a outlet. Still interested?
It seems like an unrealistic amount of money for a two-and-a-half hour hundred-mile charge instead of four, particularly once DCFC installations are more pervasive, so I'm betting it will never happen...

EldRick said:
a) Where would you put a second charger? Look under the hood - not a lot of free space there.

There is plenty of room in the car if Chevy wanted to provide the option. Don't necessarily limit yourself to under the hood.

EldRick said:
b) As a one-in-a-hundred-choose-it option it would be expensive - would you really want to pay an extra thousand dollars or so for this?

Totally depends. Right now, there are more 70-80A public EVSEs within 238 miles of my house than there are DCQC. That could change either way in the future. Right now, only Tesla pulls more than ~32A, so anyone installing an 80A EVSE will have a limited audience. If the Bolt could use it to, it would make more sense to install these.

EldRick said:
c) Installing an 80a-capable EVSE would get expensive for a 100a installation (as much power as most full homes). Maybe another $500-1000 over the cost of a 40a outlet. Still interested?
It seems like an unrealistic amount of money for a two-and-a-half hour hundred-mile charge instead of four, particularly once DCFC installations are more pervasive, so I'm betting it will never happen...

You are comparing an 80A EVSE to a 40A EVSE, whereas I was comparing it to a 25kW DCQC. The kind that VW+BMW recently installed up and down the east/west coasts of the US. You are also the only one here who is talking about home charging. WetEV and I are talking about public charging. Spending 2 hours at the mall, for instance, sounds a lot more tolerable than spending 4 hours at the mall.

These would/could be installed anywhere someone might spend 1-2 hours. A mall. A movie theatre. Even a nice restaurant (a casual dinner + dessert easily takes 1.5+ hours).

You also missed the point that, when compared to a DCQC, it serves far more potential customers. If I use an 80A EVSE with my Leaf, it will charge perfectly fine, albeit only at 18A.

It would still be a $750-1000 option at a guess, and thus unlikely to be a viable option. Don't hold your breath.

Why an option? Why not standard? I know there is a trade off regarding weight & cost, but I am seeing quite a few L2 stations rated at 60-80 amps. When I am waiting to top up at 7 kw/hr when I know the station is capable of 10+ then I might not be so sanguine. Especially if I am paying by the hour.

Back