Level 2 charger

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure how the Adapter A - NEMA 14-XX plug to NEMA L6-20 receptacle helps, as the L6-20 is twist-lock. The 120 v socket one needs is NEMA 5-15. I think I would start with a pre-made a/c extension cord with 10 or 12 gauge wire, cut off the plug and wire to a 14-50 plug. If I read you correctly, the wiring is 1-1, cutting off the flat pin across from the round pin.

I am not sure how the Adapter A - NEMA 14-XX plug to NEMA L6-20 receptacle helps, as the L6-20 is twist-lock
if you look at the bottom of the referenced page you will see they offer a FREE "My240" which connects to the twist-lock, converting it to 3pin.

BoltDriver29 said:
One thing I have not found is the actual wiring for the four contacts of, say, a Nema 14-50 to the three pins of the 120 v plug. I should be able to guess, but guessing is a good way to ruin it.

You don't need the neutral for the connection. Connect the ground and 2 hots. And if you look at the product I referenced above you will see the neutral prong missing in the photo.

It is "a good thing" to be missing the neutral pin on the pigtail's plug : the only difference between a 14-50 socket (oven, EV, 40 or 50 amp) and 14-30 socket (30A, electric dryer) is the neutral pin has a different shape. So if there is no neutral pin on the plug, you can plug into both 14-30 and 14-50 sockets.

the only difference between a 14-50 socket (oven, EV, 40 or 50 amp) and 14-30 socket (30A, electric dryer) is the neutral pin has a different shape. So if there is no neutral pin on the plug, you can plug into both 14-30 and 14-50 sockets.

Great observation, thanks! I was planning on doing dryer plug to carry with me. Now I don't have to.

BoltDriver29 said:
the only difference between a 14-50 socket (oven, EV, 40 or 50 amp) and 14-30 socket (30A, electric dryer) is the neutral pin has a different shape. So if there is no neutral pin on the plug, you can plug into both 14-30 and 14-50 sockets.
Great observation, thanks! I was planning on doing dryer plug to carry with me. Now I don't have to.

Well, the one you have is fine for 14-30 ( "new" style dryer plug, 1990s era and after). There is also the "old style" (pre-1995-ish) NEMA 10-30 (30A, with two hots and a neutral, no dedicated ground) - you might want a pigtail for one of those, for use when you visit older homes. HOWEVER, since you already have a 14-30P (plug) to "your receptacle" , I would suggest a 10-30P -to- 14-30R (Receptacle = socket) converter, that you can plug your 14-30<->YourBoltEVSE into.

Just remember that your pigtail (basically a 240V plug connecting to a 120V socket) is potentially VERY DANGEROUS and should be VERY clearly labeled, and probably zip-tied to the cable of your EVSE so that it can't be used for/by anything else.

FYI, Here's a chart of (some of the) different socket types (Green = Ground, While = Neutral, Black = Hot) :

Outlet-chart1.png

There are also NEMA 6-20, 6-30, and 6-50 sockets (240V only, 2 hots and one ground with no neutral) that are usually only used for welders or high-draw power tools (or air conditioners or MAYBE electric water heaters). You will probably never see one of these sockets.

There are also LOCKING versions of (many of) these sockets (you insert, then twist - to make sure they can't be pulled out by accident) - they are different and incompatible with the non-locking plugs. Again, generally for power tool use, and you probably will never see one of them.

Just remember that your pigtail (basically a 240V plug connecting to a 120V socket) is potentially VERY DANGEROUS
Of course. In my home it's no issue, there is no one else around. The pigtail would be kept in the Bolt. I've already labeled it "240v for EV" but that is no assurance to the uninformed.

And thanks for clarifying the age difference on 30a receptacles. My brain was remembering the "old style" 10-30 with the angled hot prongs and when you mentioned 14-30 I just figured my memory was faulty. Glad to find out those neurons aren't completely lost.

The sell at many hardware stores (or online) factory made 6-50 to 5-15 converters.

For welding machines. I’ve used one at my workplace to connect to my Bolt and it worked great.

It is store bought and there was no fancy label or warning. The 6-50 was actually on a 208 v circuit but the Bolt EV stock EVSE gobbled up those electrons happily at the 1.8x speed.

I have also used a home made 10-30 to 5-15.
Works great at 2x speed.

I call it “LEVEL 1.5 Charging”.

Back