Location-based charging request: Remember GPS position when signal lost

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rybolt

Something I would like to see included in a future software update is the ability for the Location-Based Charging GPS to "remember" the last-known coordinates even after the signal is lost, in order to make location-based charging possible in an underground parking garage/ covered lot / or other GPS-obscurred area. Realistically speaking, the system just needs to know that the last-known location of the vehicle was "close enough" to the coordinates saved in the Location-Based Charging preferences in order to activate that feature; there's no need for pin-point precision down to the individual parking stall!

Thanks, and I'm loving my Bolt EV!

rybolt said:
Something I would like to see included in a future software update is the ability for the Location-Based Charging GPS to "remember" the last-known coordinates even after the signal is lost, in order to make location-based charging possible in an underground parking garage/ covered lot / or other GPS-obscurred area. Realistically speaking, the system just needs to know that the last-known location of the vehicle was "close enough" to the coordinates saved in the Location-Based Charging preferences in order to activate that feature; there's no need for pin-point precision down to the individual parking stall!

Thanks, and I'm loving my Bolt EV!

It's my pleasure, rybolt. I'll log your feedback within our systems and make the appropriate parties aware of your suggestion. We appreciate your input!

I'm really glad to hear that you're loving your Bolt EV. What's your favorite aspect of your new ride?

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
It's my pleasure, rybolt. I'll log your feedback within our systems and make the appropriate parties aware of your suggestion. We appreciate your input!

I'm really glad to hear that you're loving your Bolt EV. What's your favorite aspect of your new ride?

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks for logging this, Amber.

I suspect others aren't chiming in because there are probably not a lot of early adopters who have gone to the trouble and expense to install a personal charging station inside a parking structure...yet! Running 120ft of conduit into my building's electrical turned out to be no small (nor inexpensive) endeavor, but I am optimistic that it will be totally worth it once L.A. DWP actually turns on my power!

Once they do, I know I'm going to get frustrated having to remember to manually flip back and forth between "Immediate" and "Departure" in the Energy Screen in order to avoid peak-charging fees! So if you can give engineering a nudge, I suspect it'll be a fairly simple programming addition to let the Bolt remember the last known GPS coordinates so that a car who calls a concrete parking structure home can still make use of the automatic location-based charging features.

I think the favorite aspect of my new ride is that it has obliterated even the most skeptical range anxiety concerns! I've attached photo proof: My best battery has been an astonishing 300.7 miles (5.3 mi/kWh over 9 days of commuting, errands, and one joyride). I even used the fan (but no heat or AC) and the seat and wheel warmers occasionally. More typically, I'm still getting in the 250-280 mile range, even with HVAC!

If anyone from advertising is listening, PLEASE TELL THE PUBLIC ABOUT THE EPA 238 MILE RANGE!!! I'm so distraught hearing my local NPR station's "sponsorship spot" rattle off cargo stats and 'regen on demand' without hearing the EPA rating! "How far, how fast, how much" to quote Chelsea Sexton! ;)

Bolt EVSE.jpg
Bolt 300miles 1024.jpeg

rybolt said:
ChevyCustomerCare said:

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks for logging this, Amber.

I suspect others aren't chiming in because there are probably not a lot of early adopters who have gone to the trouble and expense to install a personal charging station inside a parking structure...yet! Running 120ft of conduit into my building's electrical turned out to be no small (nor inexpensive) endeavor, but I am optimistic that it will be totally worth it once L.A. DWP actually turns on my power!

Once they do, I know I'm going to get frustrated having to remember to manually flip back and forth between "Immediate" and "Departure" in the Energy Screen in order to avoid peak-charging fees! So if you can give engineering a nudge, I suspect it'll be a fairly simple programming addition to let the Bolt remember the last known GPS coordinates so that a car who calls a concrete parking structure home can still make use of the automatic location-based charging features.

I think the favorite aspect of my new ride is that it has obliterated even the most skeptical range anxiety concerns! I've attached photo proof: My best battery has been an astonishing 300.7 miles (5.3 mi/kWh over 9 days of commuting, errands, and one joyride). I even used the fan (but no heat or AC) and the seat and wheel warmers occasionally. More typically, I'm still getting in the 250-280 mile range, even with HVAC!

If anyone from advertising is listening, PLEASE TELL THE PUBLIC ABOUT THE EPA 238 MILE RANGE!!! I'm so distraught hearing my local NPR station's "sponsorship spot" rattle off cargo stats and 'regen on demand' without hearing the EPA rating! "How far, how fast, how much" to quote Chelsea Sexton! ;)

View attachment 1

That's an amazing EV mpg, rybolt! You've really gotten optimal use out of your Bolt EV.

Don't worry; our teams are here and listening to all the suggestions customers like yourself have to offer. Customer feedback is the only way to make our vehicles the best they can be, and your comments are greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to reach back out if you ever have any additional questions, comments, concerns or need of assistance from my end.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back