Looking for Purchasing Advice from Bolt Owners

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epete

I was leasing a Honda FIT EV and we really loved that car. I was rear ended and Honda is taking back the car to be totaled. They are paying for a rental until the end of the month so I am kind of in a hurry to get something. Not a great position to be in. I think the Bolt is what I am looking for. Other than the head rest that jabs you in the back of the head while driving, I like everything else about it.

This is the configuration i am looking to buy. But I have a few questions.

CODE MODEL RETAIL
1FC48 4 Door Premier $40,905.00
DESTINATION CHARGE $875.00
WPX Driver Confidence II Package $495.00
JSA Infotainment Package $485.00
CBT DC Fast Charging $750.00
5XB Charge cord, portable, 120-volt $535.00
PDH Interior Protection Package $200.00
$44,245.00

I believe that there are several standards to DC Fast Charging. If true, is the CBT - DC Fast Charging option worth it. I would hate to put $750 into something that becomes obsolete or hard to find. Currently in NJ there are only a few places to charge. I have had my FIT EV since Jan 2014 and we have only charged at home, so maybe I don't need this.

The FIT EV came with a 120V Charging Cable. Maybe 5XB - Charge cord, portable, 120-volt is an additional cable and this already comes with the Bolt? The Bolt would be useless without it.

Does anyone have the PDH - Interior Protection Package? This is the (VAV) all-weather floor mats, LPO and (VLI) all-weather cargo mat. I usually like to get WeatherTech, but it seems WeatherTech did not make a custom set of mats for the Bolt EV and they are recommending a universal set of mats. Does anyone know the quality of these Chevy mats? I would like something that really protects from mud and salt, etc.

I found photo's of the all weather mats. Definitely not as good as the WeatherTech. Maybe I should scratch that. Also, it looks like the charging cable is separate. I assume it is the same as the one I already had for my FIT EV. I also already have one of these EVSE Upgraded cables http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=25 so maybe no need to buy this either.

...and now seeing the DC Fast Charging thread, maybe it is a good option to have. I didn't have this option on the Honda

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6634

I have a Preimer and have the DCFC added on. The 120v charger I think is standard.

And yes, there are 3 DCFC standards. CHAdeMO Used by Asian brands. CSS is a standard developed by European and US makers. Bolt uses CSS. Tesla is used only by Tesla. . There may be adaptors, but at significant cost.

Which will win? I don't know. Because of Nissan, there are probably more ChAdeMO currently, but CSS is growing rapidly, and many stations install both. Personally, I think long term, CSS may have the most adoption, due to the size of car companies that will use the standard.

I do most of my charging at home with a L2 240 watt EVSE (most people call them chargers). Almost all manufacturers use a standard J1772 connector. These L2 CHARGERS are by far the most common public chargers.

But 4-6 times a year I will make a 220 mile round trip to the closest airport. While it is likely I could do it on a single charge, I will feel much better hitting a DCFC for 30 minutes that is at the airport.

epete said:
I believe that there are several standards to DC Fast Charging. If true, is the CBT - DC Fast Charging option worth it. I would hate to put $750 into something that becomes obsolete or hard to find.
The CCS charging standard is the one that's being adopted by most car manufacturers for cars sold in North America. There will probably be improvements to the standard that will provide future cars with faster charging rates, but they should be backwards compatible with today's cars. In terms of the available charging standards out there for North American cars, it seems to be the most future-proof one out there aside from Tesla.

You can think of it like AC plugs for stuff you use in your house. There are different standards used in overseas countries, but here in North America there's a standard that you can rely on to be compatible with your gadgets.

I'm not a Bolt owner, but I know that the car comes with a 120 volt charging cable. Did you want another one? Make sure they aren't charging for the one included.

epete said:
I was leasing a Honda FIT EV and we really loved that car. I was rear ended and Honda is taking back the car to be totaled. They are paying for a rental until the end of the month so I am kind of in a hurry to get something. Not a great position to be in. I think the Bolt is what I am looking for. Other than the head rest that jabs you in the back of the head while driving, I like everything else about it.

This is the configuration i am looking to buy. But I have a few questions.

CODE MODEL RETAIL
PDH Interior Protection Package $200.00
$44,245.00

I believe that there are several standards to DC Fast Charging. If true, is the CBT - DC Fast Charging option worth it. I would hate to put $750 into something that becomes obsolete or hard to find. Currently in NJ there are only a few places to charge. I have had my FIT EV since Jan 2014 and we have only charged at home, so maybe I don't need this.

The FIT EV came with a 120V Charging Cable. Maybe 5XB - Charge cord, portable, 120-volt is an additional cable and this already comes with the Bolt? The Bolt would be useless without it.

Does anyone have the PDH - Interior Protection Package? This is the (VAV) all-weather floor mats, LPO and (VLI) all-weather cargo mat. I usually like to get WeatherTech, but it seems WeatherTech did not make a custom set of mats for the Bolt EV and they are recommending a universal set of mats. Does anyone know the quality of these Chevy mats? I would like something that really protects from mud and salt, etc.

You don't need the extra 120V charging cordset (5XB) as it already comes with a 120V cordset. You definitely want the DC Fast Charging option to future proof things.

There are some great lease deals out there. Where are you located? The advantage of leasing over buying is you will be able to get driverless for the freeway when it is available. Lease deals: http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/

DanCar said:
There are some great lease deals out there. Where are you located? The advantage of leasing over buying is you will be able to get driverless for the freeway when it is available. Lease deals: http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/

Guess I just wasn't in the right place at the right time, but the lease deals the GM website and/or those Camp Chevrolet offered me were way high and not at all interesting.

jack vines

Here's at least one Bolt owner who will trade you his lease with 32 months remaining. Zero down. $445 a month. Usually these things are negotiable.

http://www.leasetrader.com/2017_Chevrolet_Bolt_EV_LT_275787.xhtml

epete said:

I bought the Chevy all weather rubber mats and like them. They are heavy duty and well made. Posted pics of them somewhere on the forum. Do a search for them. Unless WeatherTech has finally released their mats, they are the only rubber mat option available for the Bolt.

Didn't buy the all weather cargo mat. Things are complicated enough in the cargo area with the false floor cover. A cover would just be another thing that has to be removed if you need to get to the compartments below. I use collapsible plastic crates on top of the false floor; anything wet sits in them and protects cargo area.

The rear hatch is large enough to prevent rain from reaching the cargo area but if you plan to toss wet and muddy stuff back there, only a rubber cargo area mat may be sufficient for your needs.

PS: You definitely want the DCFC option. Getting a up to a 40-60 mile charge in 30 mins on an L3/DCFC charger beats the heck out of waiting 2-3 hours for the same additional range on an L2/J1772 charger.

The fast charging option is very much worth it and it my opinion should be standard. We used our Bolt on a 2600 mile trip to Oregon and back, without fast charging, that would not have been possible. It allows you to go anywhere. The ChAdeMO is only for Japanese cars, hoping they will switch this out soon. The CCS is for U.S. and Europe (basically everyone but Japan). The connector is more compact and shares the same standard connector on the top as the regular level 2 chargers. The Bolt is capable of 80KW fast charging and so far I have only seen 50KW chargers which will charge the Bolt nearly from empty in an hour.
There are several leasing deals, the deals I've seen are around $200 a month with $3000 down. We bought ours, since we plan to use it for at least 7 years.

Thanks everyone. With your help, I am now the owner of the following configuration

CODE MODEL RETAIL
5XB Exterior Paint Options / Orange $395.00

$43,905.00

I also purchased the mycartrim body moldings to ship in about 2 weeks

still looking at floor mat options and maybe something to protect the seats.

(I guess that means I can officially post in this "owners" forum.)

sgt1372 said:
I bought the Chevy all weather rubber mats and like them. They are heavy duty and well made. Posted pics of them somewhere on the forum. Do a search for them. Unless WeatherTech has finally released their mats, they are the only rubber mat option available for the Bolt.

No custom fit mats for the Bolt from Weathertech yet; only trim-to-fit mats.
http://www.weathertech.com/chevrolet/2017/bolt-ev/

Husky also sells rubber mats for cars, but they also do not have a set specifically for the Bolt.
https://www.huskyliners.com/

I already emailed WeatherTech to ask when Bolt EV mats will be available. I figure the more they are asked the better.

epete said:
I already emailed WeatherTech to ask when Bolt EV mats will be available. I figure the more they are asked the better.

I signed up in Feb when I got my Bolt on WeatherTech's site for an auto-email notice when the mats become available. Couldn't wait and bought Chevy's. Still haven't gotten any notice from WeatherTeach about any Bolt mats.

Today I went to home depot and got a roll of vinyl floor runner and cut it to size. I also purchased the goodyear mats that were on sale in Costco. These will work temporarily until some better mat comes along.

My wife looked at it and said, why didn't you get WeatherTech? I didn't even know she was aware of that brand. I guess she also liked how they worked in our Prius and noticed the logo. Hopefully WeatherTech will come up with something before Winter.

Back