Loss of Vehicle Location after OnStar Trial

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aknies66

I was wondering if anyone else had lost the ability to geo-locate their Bolt from the Chevy app once their initial OnStar trial had finished.

This is *super* disappointing. My last two vehicles included this location service free -- even my Kia Soul EV which is a much less sophisticated car has the feature.

I understand OnStar does a lot of things, but for a loaded ~$44k vehicle, I am super-disappointed in GM that they don't include such a basic feature. :(

Allan

I tried to get a location report online also, but no luck. I called OnStar, and they told me that my vehicle must be turned on every 10 days or the system will not be able to find it. My Bolt has been parked for 11 days at the shipping docks in Seattle, en route to Honolulu as of this weekend. I cannot get a location, but in theory, per the OnStar agent I spoke with, it will work once the car is "up and running" here next month. More will be revealed!

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing.html lists "Location Manager" as an add-on (Family Link) for any of the On Star plans (Basic, Protection, Security, Guidance). Seems like the 3-month On Star Trial plan with a new vehicle comes with all of the features (Guidance + Family Link + WiFi hotspot).

Family Link is $3.99 per month, according to https://www2.onstar.com/web/portal/family-link .

Yeah... thanks for finding the reference. That still seems like a steep price given that it is free for other (less expensive) cars I have owned.

Allan

On Star might not want to make it free for business purposes, since it may somewhat cannibalize their stolen vehicle assistance service. If you have the vehicle locator service and find your vehicle missing, you can locate it and tell the police to go there and find it (and possibly the thieves as well).

Back