LT Options - what's worth it, what's not?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RickCH said:
GetOffYourGas said:
the Thruway Authority is planning on rolling out DCFCs from NYC to Buffalo, so much of the state should be well covered.

Any word about west, from Buffalo to the NY-PA state line? I often travel to Cleveland (from Toronto) and right now there are no DCFCs from Buffalo to Cleveland. At least if there's something right before the state line, I could charge up enough to get to Cleveland via the interstates.

Sorry, I was using short-hand, I simply meant the entire length. Are there any service areas between Buffalo and PA? I'm not familiar with that stretch. Here is what they wrote to me when I reached out to them:

Governor Cuomo has announced to promote the use of electric vehicles in New York, the Thruway Authority will install 69 new plug-in electric vehicle charging stations along the Thruway which are scheduled to be installed by the end of next year. Once completed, there will be at least one charging station at each of our 27 Service Areas.

GetOffYourGas said:
Sorry, I was using short-hand, I simply meant the entire length. Are there any service areas between Buffalo and PA? I'm not familiar with that stretch. Here is what they wrote to me when I reached out to them:

Governor Cuomo has announced to promote the use of electric vehicles in New York, the Thruway Authority will install 69 new plug-in electric vehicle charging stations along the Thruway which are scheduled to be installed by the end of next year. Once completed, there will be at least one charging station at each of our 27 Service Areas.

There's one near Angola, so it could help me complete the trip via interstate.

GetOffYourGas said:
This thread just popped up, sorry I missed it earlier. Congrats on the new car! (I assume you've had it for a week now). What did you end up with?
Thanks! I got a Kinetic Blue LT, with DCFC, Driver Confidence I and Comfort/Convenience packages. I'm not sure the Driver Confidence package is really worth it, but I liked the color and they had one at a dealer that was convenient to my office.

I then immediately went out of town for a week, so today was my first full commute to/from work (about 53 miles round-trip - yes, from Rochester). It was funny; I must be driving uphill in the morning, because my estimated range dropped 43 miles on the way in, but only 10 on the way home. :lol: This is mostly highway driving, and I did run the defrost a few times on the way in... I'll be interested to see how she does the rest of the week.

GetOffYourGas said:
Although it's too late to affect your decision, living in western NY (from the name, I would guess Rochester?), you should know that the Thruway Authority is planning on rolling out DCFCs from NYC to Buffalo, so much of the state should be well covered. Also, with our cold winters, the heated seats/steering wheel are really nice to have.
That's great news! I was surprised when I saw that there were basically no DCFCs in New York state - but I wasn't really counting on using the Bolt for road trips. We made it to and from Buffalo on Thanksgiving without any charging, but it was definitely a bit closer to empty than I was hoping (about 39 miles left after ~155 miles driven, on a cold day). It's nice to know that I might actually be able to make it NYC if I really wanted to at some point... or even the Albany area. And yes... I'm really enjoying the heated seats/steering wheel. :)

Back