May Bolt sales

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshallinwa

Sales of 1,566 Bolts for May 2017.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1110762_plug-in-electric-car-sales-for-may-best-bolt-ev-month-yet-leaf-and-volt-higher-too

"Chevrolet delivered 1,566 Bolt EVs, bringing this year's five-month total to 5,950"

Weren't we supposed to see 30,000 (or more) Bolts sold in 2017? I get they aren't available in all 50 states, but (at its current price) I'm not sure it would make much difference. I think even the hardcore EV fans are having a tough time with justifying the cost vs other alternatives.

I'd expect that GM does want to move ~30,000 Bolts this year to grab as many CARB credits they can. I'll bet we'll see big lease discounts this fall.

oilerlord said:
"Chevrolet delivered 1,566 Bolt EVs, bringing this year's five-month total to 5,950"

Weren't we supposed to see 30,000 (or more) Bolts sold in 2017? I get they aren't available in all 50 states, but (at its current price) I'm not sure it would make much difference. I think even the hardcore EV fans are having a tough time with justifying the cost vs other alternatives.

I'd expect that GM does want to move ~30,000 Bolts this year to grab as many CARB credits they can. I'll bet we'll see big lease discounts this fall.

How much GM Bolt advertising have you seen - ZIP!

That coupled with all of the Bolt complaints I have seen on this forum has dissuaded me from even considering a Bolt until next year. Hopefully, by then the BUGS will have been worked out. Meanwhile I will continue driving my two trouble-free Spark EVs.

SparkEVPilot said:
...with all of the Bolt complaints I have seen on this forum has dissuaded me from even considering a Bolt until next year.
The low sales volume explained... The question is: Is GM listening.

SparkEVPilot said:

That coupled with all of the Bolt complaints I have seen on this forum has dissuaded me from even considering a Bolt until next year. Hopefully, by then the BUGS will have been worked out. Meanwhile I will continue driving my two trouble-free Spark EVs.

"all of the Bolt complaints" . . . ?

The only complaints are about the seats and those complaints are NOT uniform. It's something that Chevy "should" be able to fix easily but they obviously don't want to fix them at this point.

My guess would be that it will be taken care of with the 2018's, which is a good reason to wait if you can't find a Bolt with a seat comfortable enough for your butt.

The Bolt is otherwise probably as "trouble free" as your Spark. Except for the lack of a seat mounting bolt and a minor reverse cam issue that resolved itself, the Bolt has been entirely trouble free for me and I have no trouble recommending it to anyone.

EldRick said:
I'd say that the Bolt actually has a very low level of new-car problems.

Not sure about that.

Given the number of complaints on this board with only ~7,000 cars sold (vs an Accord or Camry that sells in the 100's of thousands) - on a percentage basis, there are probably a higher number of new-car problems than you think. How big would those"seat issue" threads be if there were 70,000 Bolts sold at this point? With that said, it is an all-new model and the problems shouldn't surprise anyone.

oilerlord said:
Given the number of complaints on this board with only ~7,000 cars sold (vs an Accord or Camry that sells in the 100's of thousands) - on a percentage basis, there are probably a higher number of new-car problems than you think. How big would those"seat issue" threads be if there were 70,000 Bolts sold at this point?
To be fair, the seat problem seems to be a design issue rather than a quality issue. As long as a design issue don't dissuade me from purchasing the car I'm not concerned that it's suddenly going to "break" after I drive it off the lot.

When people bring their car in to fix a problem, I don't think they care if it's a "design" issue or otherwise. Given the relatively high number of complaints on the low number of cars - it is a problem regardless on how we spin it.

It is entirely possible that complaints about the Bolt may have turned into sales for the Volt and other cars.

sgt1372 said:
SparkEVPilot said:

"all of the Bolt complaints" . . . ?

The only complaints are about the seats and those complaints are NOT uniform. It's something that Chevy "should" be able to fix easily but they obviously don't want to fix them at this point.

My guess would be that it will be taken care of with the 2018's, which is a good reason to wait if you can't find a Bolt with a seat comfortable enough for your butt.

The Bolt is otherwise probably as "trouble free" as your Spark. Except for the lack of a seat mounting bolt and a minor reverse cam issue that resolved itself, the Bolt has been entirely trouble free for me and I have no trouble recommending it to anyone.

My lease on my 2015 Spark EV 2LT will end next May. I hope Chevy fixes the seat problem and a few other things by then because a Bolt is still in my future - just not right now.

oilerlord said:
When people bring their car in to fix a problem, I don't think they care if it's a "design" issue or otherwise. Given the relatively high number of complaints on the low number of cars - it is a problem regardless on how we spin it.
I agree that it's a problem, but it doesn't affect my perception of the car's reliability because if I don't like the design I just don't buy the car.

I hear an equally large number of people moaning about the car's aesthetics, but I haven't seen anyone suggest that they're a reliability issue.

Complaints on an internet board are not an accurate indicator of the severity or pervasiveness of a problem. People bringing their cars into the dealership, or responding to manufacturer surveys, or calling into the customer care number is the only way that Chevy will be able to get an idea of how bad the seat issue actually is.

Enthusiast sites like this one give a distorted view of things.

Back