My eGolf was totaled now looking at Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oftheseven

Hi everyone,

I was going to look into the Bolt next year once my eGolf SEL lease expired in 2018 but it was rear ended and deemed a total loss so now I'm here.
Loved my eGolf handling, rear storage, generic looks, haha.

Want to stay EV and could lease a eGolf SE with DCFC: $194/mo. 30mos, 12k miles/yr, $2500 down (taxes, fees inclusive) but it would be the current iteration. Next upgrade isn't until the fall for the 2018 model. More range and a little more pep are nice so strongly considering the Bolt.

Anyone driven/owned both?
Should I be worried about getting the 1st generation?
All the fancy camera views are nice but is Premium trim worth it if I don't need heated seats/steering wheel or leather?
We drive pretty efficient: 4.5-4.7mi/kWh and most trips are less than 100 miles; only had a few 'close calls' with range.

Thanks

oftheseven said:
Hi everyone,

I was going to look into the Bolt next year once my eGolf SEL lease expired in 2018 but it was rear ended and deemed a total loss so now I'm here.
Loved my eGolf handling, rear storage, generic looks, haha.

Want to stay EV and could lease a eGolf SE with DCFC: $194/mo. 30mos, 12k miles/yr, $2500 down (taxes, fees inclusive) but it would be the current iteration. Next upgrade isn't until the fall for the 2018 model. More range and a little more pep are nice so strongly considering the Bolt.

Anyone driven/owned both?
Should I be worried about getting the 1st generation?
All the fancy camera views are nice but is Premium trim worth it if I don't need heated seats/steering wheel or leather?
We drive pretty efficient: 4.5-4.7mi/kWh and most trips are less than 100 miles; only had a few 'close calls' with range.

Thanks

I haven't driven an eGolf, so can't comment about that.

However, I've owned and driven a lot of cars, trucks and motorcycles in my time and I LOVE the Bolt!

I use my Bolt mainly for local driving w/in 5-15 miles of my house and can go weeks on end w/o recharging using it that way. I also drove it 150 miles RT on the freeway into San Francisco (at very high speeds) and had enough estimated range to get there and back on a single charge -- although I'd stop for a quick DCFC charge to get another 40-50 miles before heading home just "in case."

The car is extremely nimble, has more than enough speed and acceleration and more than enough luggage/passenger space for normal needs. You can drive it as fast or slow as you like and it will handle like a champ.

I got an LT w/the comfort and convenience packages and the luggage shelf which I think are absolutely necessary. The MSRP was just under $39k which I leased for just $282/month (before sales tax) for 36 months w/a 10k annual mileage allowance plus $2k net down ($5k cash up front less $3k in rebates still to be received). That was an excellent deal that I'm not sure you can still get now.

The deal Chevy is currently offering is $329/month for 36 months plus $3809 down on a "basic" LT. See: http://www.hybridcars.com/pricey-chevy-bolt-lease-deal-keeps-company-on-more-conservative-approach/

I personally don't think the extra features of a Premier model are worth the extra $5k or so. That's a choice you'd have to make for yourself.

The only common "problem" many (but not all) people are complaining about are the seats. Many feel that the seats are poorly designed because they are either just uncomfortable or downright painful. You can read a couple different threads on this forum about this problem. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in person size or model involved when the problem is raised. Can be a small or large person or an LT or Premier.

All you can do is sit in the seats of different Bolts to decide if this is a problem for you or not. Just be aware that if one Bolt of your choice (LT or Premier) has the problem, another similar Bolt may not. So, try as many as you need to find the one that feels the best.

Good luck!

PS: My battery consumption while driving sedately in town averages 4.0-4.2 m/kwh. On the freeway driving fast the way I do, it averages only 2.6-2.8. Extrapolating these numbers and assuming a full charge at 60 kwh, my range locally would be 240-252 and on the freeway 156-168 if I drain the battery to zero. Lots of cushion left for local driving, not so for the freeway, which is why adding at least 40-50 miles w/a mid-trip charge seems essential to me to complete my 150 mile RT journeys into the City.

Regarding the Bolt seats, they are somewhat on the narrow side, and relatively sporty, with large firm bolsters. Wider people who do not fit completely within the bolsters are more likely to find that design to be an issue.

Some have also observed what appear to be production variations in the amount and density of the foam padding in the seats, based on sitting in several different cars at a dealer. So sitting in several different cars may be warranted if you find the seats in the first one to be problematic.

The 6 levels you can get on the Bolt are:

LT no options
+ Comfort and Convenience (front heated seats, heated steering wheel, autodim mirror)
+ Driver Confidence I (side blind spot monitor and parking aids)
Premier (leather seats, rear armrest, rear camera mirror, surround vision display, turn signals in side mirrors, roof rails (effectively fixed points for aftermarket racks), rear heated seats, extra level floor for cargo area)
+ Infotainment (upgraded stereo, wireless charger for phone, rear USB charger for devices)
+ Driver Confidence II (low speed forward automatic braking and other driver aids)

DC fast charge capability is an independent option on any of the 6 levels. Of the 8 colors, 3 are extra cost colors.

Recommend getting at least the Comfort and Convenience, since using the regular heater is a big drag on efficiency and range, while using the heated seats has minimal effect.

The e-Golf supposedly got upgraded from 84 to 124 miles of EPA range for 2017, but you want to verify that.

Thanks for the replies!

My wife and I are pretty skinny, so the narrower seats shouldn't be an issue. Will test drive this weekend.
As for the trim, I'll probably get the LT with convenience packages and DCFC.

The only upgrades that attract me in Premium are the side mirror signal lights and usb ports on the back of the center console (kids fight over the front ones all the time).

I've seen recent Bolt deals, which will be comparable to what I paid with the eGolf; however, I know the deals will only get better as time goes on. I can imagine 4th of July or Labor Day deals should be even better.

Maybe a question for another thread but anyone Bolt owners also have Model 3 reservations?

Give me a shot at your business...My name is Neal "Diamond" Weinstein and have been a very active participant on the Volt forums , having delivered the Chevrolet Volt to over 37 different states..I am @ Manfredi Chevrolet in Staten Island NY and will not disappoint..718-351-4200
statenislandchevy.com

nealauto said:
Give me a shot at your business...My name is Neal "Diamond" Weinstein and have been a very active participant on the Volt forums , having delivered the Chevrolet Volt to over 37 different states..I am @ Manfredi Chevrolet in Staten Island NY and will not disappoint..718-351-4200
statenislandchevy.com

Does it need to be a sale or can you lease a Bolt in a different state?

Does it need to be a sale or can you lease a Bolt in a different state?

You can lease from any state. You can ship the car on a truck very easily. I bought a car a while back and had it shipped via truck about 1000 miles. Very simple.
Some of the lowest Bolt LT prices on the West coast come from California and it is relatively inexpensive to ship the vehicle anywhere on the West coast. This will help you negotiate a better price from a local dealer. The lowest prices I have seen on the east coast are in Massachusetts (e.g. LT @ $2,500 out of pocket + 35 payments of $170/mo (+sales tax). Includes dealer fees and destination. Leather seats are about $20/mo extra. @ Quirk Chevy. )
Google "ev lease deals" and you will find a couple of different sources for "street prices" and then add $500 to $1500 to the cost for interstate shipping (depending on how far the vehicle has to be shipped.)

oftheseven said:
I've seen recent Bolt deals, which will be comparable to what I paid with the eGolf; however, I know the deals will only get better as time goes on. I can imagine 4th of July or Labor Day deals should be even better.

Maybe a question for another thread but anyone Bolt owners also have Model 3 reservations?

If you're asking about Model 3 reservations, it sounds like you have time to wait.

The fact of the matter is that there is a large supply (sitting on dealer lots) and low demand. When the Model 3 starts shipping, and the 2018 Bolt arrives at dealerships it's reasonable to assume that big discounts are coming, I'm guessing that along with a few minor upgrades from Bolt 1.0, the seats will be "fixed" in next year's release.

Back