MyChevy App Key Fob

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil0909 said:
dandrewk said:
It's a bit more than a mere connection. When you send a command, it travels the cyber highway to some GM server. All credentials are checked, then the command is beamed back to your Bolt. All these connections take time before they handshake, with added latency from waking a slumbering car and waiting for it to connect with your home's WiFi or a cellular tower.

Yeah, none of that should take anywhere near 45 seconds. This is 2017, and we're not using 300 baud modems. Perhaps 'waking' the car takes a long time, but then you would think issuing a second command would go much faster, since the car is already awake. But it is still just as slow. Not sure where the problem is in the system, but clearly there's something wrong.

Then show me another car's system that is faster.

You/I may not like it and want it to go faster. But neither of us know what it takes to implement these systems. And in any case, 45 seconds is hardly a long time.

The BMW iRemote was in the 10-15 second range. My SoulEV remote stuff (and I assume the LEAF is simlar) is 30-45s.

Schnort said:
The BMW iRemote was in the 10-15 second range. My SoulEV remote stuff (and I assume the LEAF is simlar) is 30-45s.

The Nissan version is almost unusable. Start the app, start pre-conditioning, about 60 seconds later it says "command sent". A minute (or longer) you get the acknowledgement that pre-conditioning has started. That's if everything has gone well and the app hasn't "timed out", which is frequent.

Note - if you have a 2011-2012 Leaf, you have longer have remote connection because AT&T discontinued 2g service.

Ok, not sure why some here are having difficulty. I just tried to remote lock, and it took about 3 seconds. Same with unlock. I've just come back from using the Bolt, about 15 minutes or so. I'll let the car sit for a few hours and see if it takes longer.

Bolt sat overnight in garage. I used iOS MyChevy App to lock it, and it was near instantaneous. Car is connected to house WiFi, so later I will try it with the Bolt's WiFi turned off.

do we still get these features after the 3 month trial period?

I like to check on my charge status, but I'd hate to pay extra for it.

Thanks.

The Nissan version is almost unusable. Start the app, start pre-conditioning, about 60 seconds later it says "command sent". A minute (or longer) you get the acknowledgement that pre-conditioning has started. That's if everything has gone well and the app hasn't "timed out", which is frequent.

The "Nissano" app, which is third party but uses Nissan's servers, can start the Leaf's climate control in 15 seconds or less. It takes longer than that to get a response from the app, but that isn't needed. I typically used it (I have 2G, alas, so no more) to start the climate control right before I left the house.

How easy is it to just activate the Bolts' climate control right before walking out the door?

Back