No employee discount, but Costco discount available!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundpeg said:
As someone who has a Bolt on order and expects to see the car in a few weeks, I do indeed have something to lose, which is my place in line for one of the first to arrive. Even if Costco offers me a couple of hundred off, I don't see the win if I have to wait until April to get the car. Besides, they'd probably ask me for a member number before quoting me a price, which I ain't got. One of the fans of buying cars though Costco should really be the person who checks this out.
With the Costco program, you don't purchase thru them. They refer you to a local dealer (who pays a monthly fee to be eligible get sales referrals from Costco). By participating in the program, they agree to sell you the car at the pre-negotiated price. My understanding is that it will be about $600 below invoice. If the dealer you ordered thru is a participating dealer, you could very well get the same car you ordered and not lose your place in line. But you do need to be a Costco member (unless you can talk the dealer into giving you the Costco price anyway).

roundpeg said:
Even if Costco offers me a couple of hundred off, I don't see the win

One of the fans of buying cars though Costco should really be the person who checks this out.

What DucRider said. Simply phone the dealer you ordered the car from and ask - or not. There is nothing to lose. If it turns out that there is a discount above the price of a $50 membership - then get a membership. Takes 10 minutes. I'm a fan of saving money, but what you do is your call.

oilerlord said:
roundpeg said:
Even if Costco offers me a couple of hundred off, I don't see the win

One of the fans of buying cars though Costco should really be the person who checks this out.

What DucRider said. Simply phone the dealer you ordered the car from and ask - or not. There is nothing to lose. If it turns out that there is a discount above the price of a $50 membership - then get a membership. Takes 10 minutes. I'm a fan of saving money, but what you do is your call.

I am a huge fan of saving money, so there's no call to be snide. What DucRider said was Costco refers you to a participating dealership. My local dealership is small, in an area with many much larger dealerships, so the chances they participate are low. Also the chances that the first Bolts off the line will be discounted through Costco are even smaller (I thought we'd already had that discussion). Nevertheless, I will ask at the appropriate time, though it seems to be the ultimate Hail Mary pass.

It seems to me that the appropriate time is "now". Why wait? And if a larger dealership in the area WILL give you a discount, why not use that to leverage a lower price at the dealer where you first went? Or jump ship to save $1000?

SparkE said:
It seems to me that the appropriate time is "now". Why wait? And if a larger dealership in the area WILL give you a discount, why not use that to leverage a lower price at the dealer where you first went? Or jump ship to save $1000?

Perhaps because I have one of the first batch on order and I'd prefer to get the car before the middle of next year. I also have other fish to fry at the moment, so for me, an appropriate time is later.

But then, why should I be the one tasked to check on this? We have lots of preorder buyers in this forum. What about the person who started this thread?

OK, I'll drop the " Or jump ship to save $1000?"

It seems to me that the appropriate time is "now". Why wait? And if a larger dealership in the area WILL give you a discount, why not use that to leverage a lower price at the dealer where you first went?

The Italics are all about getting a better price at your current dealer, with the pre-order you made. But if you don't care about possibly saving $500 or $1000, that's fine with me. Or maybe you signed a contract and are obligated to honor it? Or maybe the price was fully specified when you dropped a (?refundable?) deposit. Frankly, I don't care one way or the other.

We bought a 2016 Volt last November with the Costco discount, plus a $700 gift card, plus a GM private sale $1K voucher. I have checked with the same sale dealer and he said there is no Cosco price for the Bolt, but that was a month ago. So, I am hoping for some discounts. Even if the dealer doesn't give you a Costco price, I think Costco still gives you a $700 gift card.

I've use the Costco Chevy discount before on purchasing a new vehicle and it was very easy no fuss no muss you just get the discount

summit said:
We bought a 2016 Volt last November with the Costco discount, plus a $700 gift card, plus a GM private sale $1K voucher. I have checked with the same sale dealer and he said there is no Cosco price for the Bolt, but that was a month ago. So, I am hoping for some discounts. Even if the dealer doesn't give you a Costco price, I think Costco still gives you a $700 gift card.

Are you planning on checking back with them on the current status of discounts and gift cards on the Bolt?

I gave Costco a call this afternoon. After we straightened out Volt from Bolt (V as in Victor!), I was told they would not have pricing on the car until 30-60 days after it begins to arrive at dealerships, and that the dealerships can exclude any car from participating in the program. Cars in high demand, for instance, or low supply, are typically not included. So where does that leave us, sports fans? Not really knowing what Costco can do until well after some of us early adopters will have their cars.

Which, is pretty much what I thought.

I just submitted a request on the costco.com website.

I got a call from a dealer and they said the costco deal is invoice at 35155 for the LT version.

Going Saturday to lock in lease terms will update when that happens.

I guess one nice thing about Costco is the no-haggling aspect of the pricing. You don't get the best pricing but you save precious time not being at a dealer interacting with sleazeballs lying through their teeth.

Back