One month review by Steven Sinofsky

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
devbolt said:
siennared said:
Interesting review. He's got a few facts wrong, like parking sensors have been around for longer than a decade (our 2004 Sienna had them) and backup cameras have existed for over a decade as well. That and describing an L2 EVSE incorrectly...

Was thinking about the 2007 Nissan has having the first birds-eye view camera. https://www.wired.com/2007/10/nissan-to-bring/ and for sensors I was thinking about cameras more than beepers.

What did I describe wrong in the L2 EVSE?

stevesi said:
devbolt said:
siennared said:
Interesting review. He's got a few facts wrong, like parking sensors have been around for longer than a decade (our 2004 Sienna had them) and backup cameras have existed for over a decade as well. That and describing an L2 EVSE incorrectly...

Was thinking about the 2007 Nissan has having the first birds-eye view camera. https://www.wired.com/2007/10/nissan-to-bring/ and for sensors I was thinking about cameras more than beepers.

What did I describe wrong in the L2 EVSE?

Well, not to sound too harsh, but you never actually say it's an EVSE, you call it a "home charger high amp". However, the charger is in the car and the EVSE safely provides an electrical connection for charging the car. You also don't mention that the car does come with a portable EVSE that can charge the car, but at a slower rate using a standard household plug at 120V. Nor do you mention the difference between a Level 1 EVSE (the one that comes with the car) and a Level 2 EVSE or the fact that a "home charger high amp" requires a 240V connection, just that you use an RV outlet, which can be 120V, or it can be 240V depending upon plug type used.

If you meant a 360-degree camera system where you said backup camera, then say that. Same for parking sensors meaning a plain backup camera. I had no idea that Nissan had introduced a 360-degree system a decade ago. The first time I ever drove car with them was a year ago in the RAV4 hybrid, but I knew that they had existed for about 4 or 5 years previous to that.

And one last nit, I think your math for how much time you'll need to spending charging the car is probably off. As the car's battery gets full, it tapers the amount of current going into it, which means it takes longer to fill the last 20%. You calculations for how much electricity will be consumed to go 36K miles is probably accurate. Depending upon how conservative a driver you are, you may actually go further on a kWh. So far I've been able to do about 3.6 miles per kWh, which is probably the minimum someone should get, but I'm not afraid to use the climate control system because I like being comfortable.

Back