Plugshare/Chargepoint Post $$/Pictures/Tips/Information

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxters

As you use a charging station and your experience with them. Feel please lets find a way to post the Cost, Picture, Tips to the individual apps. That way we know which charging stations have what prices and power.

Some of the DCFC seem almost to expensive to bother with it (+5$/session = .20 kwh)

Maxters said:
As you use a charging station and your experience with them. Feel please lets find a way to post the Cost, Picture, Tips to the individual apps. That way we know which charging stations have what prices and power.

Some of the DCFC seem almost to expensive to bother with it (+5$/session = .20 kwh)

The app for ChargePoint already has this; you set the length of charging and time of day, then you get an estimated cost at any given station. Some evGo stations didn't price out, but most did.

SpaceMan said:
The app for ChargePoint already has this; you set the length of charging and time of day, then you get an estimated cost at any given station. Some evGo stations didn't price out, but most did.

Attachments

• IMG_2197.PNG
    88.7 KB · Views: 9,564
Maxters said:

Do you find $0.20 per kWh expensive? That is less than my daytime off-peak TOU home electric rate (PG&E EV-A).
That also works out to about 20 mi per dollar, or about $1.50 a gallon of gas if your car magically grew an ICE and achieved 30 mpg.

Have you driven an electric car much on road trips? There is currently usually zero choice as to what DCFC you can use (at least in my home state, CA), and I am usually very happy just to arrive at a charger after spanning long gaps like the "Great Electron Desert" along 101. I'd gladly pay $0.20 / kWh; the EVgo prices are about 2x that for infrequent users.

SpaceMan said:
Maxters said:

Yes ChargePoint, Plugshare all have the ability to post pictures, and tips for different places. I want to encourage people to use them more so we can see the good and bad about a certain spot.

The EVgo price for the cheapest no-monthly-cost plan is $5 + $0.20 per *minute*, so for a 30-minute charge, if we assume that gives you 25 kW-h, then it's $0.44 per kW-h. Still not obscene though considering you're paying for much more than just the electricity (since the costs also cover the station, land, support and billing.)

However frequent users can get a $15/month plan where each charge has no up-front cost and is $0.10 per minute. So that would be $0.12 per kW-h for each charge, plus the $15/month flat fee.

tgreene said:
Maxters said:

Do you find $0.20 per kWh expensive? That is less than my daytime off-peak TOU home electric rate (PG&E EV-A).
That also works out to about 20 mi per dollar, or about $1.50 a gallon of gas if your car magically grew an ICE and achieved 30 mpg.

Have you driven an electric car much on road trips? There is currently usually zero choice as to what DCFC you can use (at least in my home state, CA), and I am usually very happy just to arrive at a charger after spanning long gaps like the "Great Electron Desert" along 101. I'd gladly pay $0.20 / kWh; the EVgo prices are about 2x that for infrequent users.

It is a *minimum* $0.20 per kWh FEE on top of what you are paying for the electricity ($5/session on top of the electricity cost). If, of course, you aren't paying the $15/mo subscription fee because you charge so often at EVgo.

SparkE said:
tgreene said:
Maxters said:

It is a *minimum* $0.20 per kWh FEE on top of what you are paying for the electricity ($5/session on top of the electricity cost). If, of course, you aren't paying the $15/mo subscription fee because you charge so often at EVgo.

I know that is what EVgo charges (as I said in the post you quoted), but @Maxsters's post implied that he pays only $0.20 / kWh. Is that EVgo with the $15/mo subscription or another network?

That's not how I read it - I didn't get that implication at all. I did notice his math skills were limited, however.

tgreene said:
Maxters said:

Depends on what time of day you charge. http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.pdf indicates that night (11PM to 7AM) rates are $0.11813 (summer) or $0.12091 (winter). But part-peak (7AM to 2PM and 9PM to 11PM) rates are $0.24573 or $0.19381 and peak (2PM to 9PM) rates are $0.44976 or $0.31604.

Wow, that's cheap. San Diego is $0.18 off-peak. Guess it's because there are no local power plants so lots of power losses in distribution.

Back