Programming Garage Door Opener...

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a couple of older Liftmaster (Chamberlain) garage door openers that lack the MyQ stuff. For about $100 in parts (2 new switch panels, and an Internet gateway) I was able to add the MyQ features to the existing openers. I can now operate my garage doors from my iPhone or Apple Watch if I want, but I continue to use the 3-button remote clipped to my visor.

Isn't BlueMate cheaper and easier to install than retrofitting MyQ to an existing system? It took me about five minutes, and I had an unusual wiring setup in my 20 y.o. LiftMaster.

dandrewk said:
Isn't BlueMate cheaper and easier to install than retrofitting MyQ to an existing system? It took me about five minutes, and I had an unusual wiring setup in my 20 y.o. LiftMaster.

To retrofit MyQ to our existing garage door openers just required replacing each of the control panels with MyQ compatible ones, and installing the internet gateway, and then pairing the new panels with the gateway. The replacement control panels are basically a drop-in replacement. No additional wiring necessary at the garage door opener, or additional power sources necessary, and it upgrades the security to what Chamberlain/Liftmaster calls Security+ 2.0. The new control panels also added motion sensors to automatically turn on the lights, and added the ability to automatically close the garage after a set time if you want. Liftmaster sells a retrofit kit that includes the internet gateway and one replacement control panel. Additional control panels can be had for less than $30, and the retrofit kit was less than $70.

The Bluemate system would've worked for us, but it would've cost a bit more than the MyQ since we have two garage doors, and each Bluemate receiver costs $49.95. Also, it requires that you have a phone that has Bluetooth 4.0. I like the concept of the system, but having to have an additional power adapter for the Bluetooth adapter, and having to wire the receiver directly into the garage door opener would make me hesitate to buy it. The MyQ retrofit package seemed to be a bit more elegant and simple.

The reason I installed the MyQ system was because I was tired of not remembering if I had closed the garage door when I left for work in the morning. More than once I turned back after a couple miles to make sure I had closed the door. Now the system alerts me if I left the garage door open and lets me close the door remotely.

I've also had those "did I remember to close the garage door?" moments. Luckily, I have a security cam that has the door in its field of view.

dandrewk said:
I've also had those "did I remember to close the garage door?" moments. Luckily, I have a security cam that has the door in its field of view.

Funny you should say that. I had originally wired up an old WiFi security camera to show me if I had remembered to close the door and save me the hassle of driving back. However, the camera or it's power supply was interfering with the receiver in the opener such that the garage door wouldn't reliably open or close. My wife was not very happy with that setup. Rather than try to make some sort of EMI shield for the camera, it was easier just to throw different technology at the problem.

Leave the garage door open? After the first couple of times, I bought the $40 Magic Closer, a far simpler solution: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DD10GJS

It closes any garage door for you after selected 5- or 15-minute interval. No Internet required...

EldRick said:
Leave the garage door open? After the first couple of times, I bought the $40 Magic Closer, a far simpler solution: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DD10GJS

It closes any garage door for you after selected 5- or 15-minute interval. No Internet required...

That one would be slightly cheaper than the MyQ setup for me. $80 for two units versus the ~$100 I spent. The main complaint I see with the Magic Closer is having to change the battery every few months.

The new MyQ control panel that came the retrofit kit also has 1, 5 or 10 minute automatic closing option with no internet required, too. You can purchase just a new control panel and not bother with the internet connectivity if you want.

The Magic Closer works with all older openers, but not suggested for the newer MyQ stuff. It basically pushes the button for you after x minutes if the door is open.
My battery life has been about 8 months before replacement in an unheated garage, using rechargeable Eneloops. I replaced the batteries in both boxes at the same time when one told me it needed it, because why wouldn't you?

It looks like you can add the aftermarket Homelink to the Volt. Has anyone tried this on the Bolt? I don't have the balls right now :)

For those who have a "Did I close the Garage Door", I do too.. I installed a motion detector on the garage door rail, linked to my home automation network. The automation system then sends a notification to my phone when the door closes.. I have a unique sound that catches my attention..

Eastocean said:
I installed a motion detector on the garage door rail, linked to my home automation network. The automation system then sends a notification to my phone when the door closes.. I have a unique sound that catches my attention..
I just watch the door close.

I just watch the door close.

True, that is possible.. Often in the morning I am on automatic pilot until the caffeine kicks in, and my mind is really on the rest f the day as I pull out of my driveway :)

Here's a great $40 fix for forgetting to close the garage door: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DD10GJS

EldRick said:
Here's a great $40 fix for forgetting to close the garage door: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DD10GJS

There is a more expensive option : it's called 'wife'. Said accessory will definitely let you know anytime you have forgotten to do something (it works for more than just the garage door).

:mrgreen:

SparkE said:
There is a more expensive option : it's called 'wife'. Said accessory will definitely let you know anytime you have forgotten to do something (it works for more than just the garage door).

Mine broke and the replacements are too damn expensive. I'll have to find a more convenient/cost effective method.

gbobman said:
SparkE said:

Mine broke and the replacements are too damn expensive. I'll have to find a more convenient/cost effective method.

Did you follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule? It's a lot of work, but well worth it.

GetOffYourGas said:
gbobman said:

Did you follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule? It's a lot of work, but well worth it.

It had an issue with the BCM/logic unit and that couldn't be fixed. Thankfully, after some expensive maintenance, I don't have to deal with that unit now. The cost savings are worth the small inconvenience. Of course, not all models are the same, YMMV.

gbobman said:
GetOffYourGas said:
gbobman said:

It had an issue with the BCM/logic unit and that couldn't be fixed. Thankfully, after some expensive maintenance, I don't have to deal with that unit now. The cost savings are worth the small inconvenience. Of course, not all models are the same, YMMV.

Ah yes, the logic unit. There seems to be a fault in some of them which is simply not repairable. I'm glad that you found an eventual resolution.

dandrewk said:
Why is everyone so against using the remote that came with the garage door opener?

It seems the logical solution. There is even a flat area on the bottom of the Infotainment center that is ideal for velcro-ing a remote. I have mine there, and it is more easily accessible than any Homelink button on any car I've had.

I only use the regular garage door remote control unit. I don't use the remote link in the BMW or Mercedes and haven't used it in any other car previously that was so equipped.

Reason: I often found the remote link buggy -- difficult to link in the 1st place and sometimes difficult to retain the link which required constant reprogramming. Just easier to rely on the garage door remote.

Back