Public Fast Chargers in Oregon

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL1

Here is a report of my experience traveling from Medford, OR to Portland, OR and back using Public Level 3 Fast Chargers:

http://sites.google.com/site/jalcomputing/home/chevy-bolt-goes-to-portland

Jeff

I am a little confused by your report.

Going northbound; why not just stop at the Chevron in Cottage Grove for a fast charge and arrive in Beaverton with plenty of miles to spare?

Similarly southbound: Why not stop at the Fred Meyer in Albany for a fast charge and arrive home in Medford with plenty of miles to spare?

This result should happen with or without using the air conditioning!

Remember, once you agree to make a charging stop, you do not need 230 miles. You only need as much as it takes, with or without air conditioning, to make it to the DCFC and then again to the destination!

Remember, time wise, it is inconvenient to charge much past 80% on a DCFC, as they will slow down considerably at that point, to protect the battery. You can continue to charge, but just know that they will take much more time to reach into the 90s

// I am a little confused by your report.
Fair enough. Thanks for asking for clarification. I hope I can answer your questions in a way that does not come off as combative or argumentative. Not my intention at all.

//Going northbound; why not just stop at the Chevron in Cottage Grove for a fast charge and arrive in Beaverton with plenty of miles to spare?
Excellent question. I agree that charging at Cottage Grove would have be ideal if I knew the charger at Cottage Grove would not be in use when I arrived. My thinking was that if someone plugs in at Cottage Grove just as I arrived, I may need to wait one to two hours before starting my charge. The wife would not be happy. If my backup plan was to move on to Albany instead of waiting on an in use charger, I would have been sorely disappointed as the Albany charging has not worked for a long time.

//Similarly southbound: Why not stop at the Fred Meyer in Albany for a fast charge and arrive home in Medford with plenty of miles to spare?
As I noted earlier, the Albany charger has a reliability rating of 1.0 and was reported down on Aug. 28, Aug. 23, Aug. 21, Aug. 13 and Aug. 3 etc.

//Remember, once you agree to make a charging stop, you do not need 230 miles. You only need as much as it takes, with or without air
//conditioning, to make it to the DCFC and then again to the destination!
I am married, so no air is not an option, even if it means slowing down to a crawl to make this happen :)

Good point about being flexible and charging at more than one charging station.

//Remember, time wise, it is inconvenient to charge much past 80% on a DCFC, as they will slow down considerably at that point, to protect
//the battery. You can continue to charge, but just know that they will take much more time to reach into the 90s
Understood. I completely agree here and felt guilty when another Bolt driver pulled up at Roseburg with only a 50 mile charge left in his car. He was headed-on on to the Bay Area and we had a really nice chat. I was not at full charge, but I thought I had enough juice to get to Portland, so I stopped my charge, left early so that he would not need to wait. In my defense, the Roseburg charger only shows one to two users on average per day. Just my bad luck that I was using the charger to top off when another Bolt owner arrived.

I understand your points:

I always use air conditioning when appropriately HOT! It uses much less energy than does cabin heating in the winter, when in Southern California, I just use seat warmers when necessary.

Maybe I have just been leading a charmed life in my drives around California! Also, I do not know how to factor in elevation, until I actually make the drive the first time.

To get up north, I usually drive to the single CCS 25 KWh charger in Paso Robles (unless I take the 99) and it has always been available to me (checking on Plugshare first of course). I will admit, the last time, this 25KWh charger was down to 50% speed and took me 2.5 hours to charge what would normally take me 1.5 hours to charge.

My backup is 30 miles in the wrong direction to San Luis Obispo to get multi-CCS chargers. I went there once directly just to try them out.

I do carry the AV TurboCord for 120/240v charging when necessary with appropriate adapters when visiting friends/family/motels with dryer outlets.

The whole point of the Bolt EV is to eliminate "range anxiety" and I am sorry if your drive to Beaverton didn't really do that for you!

Of course, GM does not market this car as inter-city; but as intra-city! It is we pioneers that are leading the way!

Best of luck on the next trip and hopefully more DCFC's will be available to you!

Back