Quality Control Issues (Handles, A/C)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 962

-When I rolled off the lot, discovered that both doors on driver side didn't have a crucial piece of the handle mounted correctly (a mounting screw was completely forgotten at the factory). It was only by friction and luck that the end piece of each handle didn't fall off.

-900 miles in and my air conditioning sprung a leak.

Overall I still think the car is great - but boy, was my car built on a Monday or what? :(

Problem was a leak had sprung in the hose leading to the compressor. Took from Fri to Tuesday for the part to arrive and was fixed and cleaned up. They had to put in more fluid but I think the spill must have been contained as I didn't notice any drips under the car in the garage.

On the plus side - the loaner they gave me was a 2017 Volt, so I got to sample that at least!

Air conditioner lines are largely filled with gas. There is oil in there to help lubricate the compressor, but it's not enough to drip in most cases. Usually you just get an oily smear in the engine bay around where the leak was.

wakkoroti said:
Problem was a leak had sprung in the hose leading to the compressor. Took from Fri to Tuesday for the part to arrive and was fixed and cleaned up. They had to put in more fluid but I think the spill must have been contained as I didn't notice any drips under the car in the garage.

On the plus side - the loaner they gave me was a 2017 Volt, so I got to sample that at least!

Sorry to hear about your situation. This stuff happens with all cars, but is all the more likely with a car as new as the Bolt.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the Bolt-vs-Volt, now that you've driven them both back-to-back if you are willing to share. How do they compare in terms of drivability, comfort, performance, interfaces, etc?

I actually really liked the new Volt. It has a sportier feel.

The acceleration was about the same. 'L' mode didn't actually bring you to a full stop if you let off the accelerator like the Bolt does and the regen paddle wasn't as aggressive.

The backseat does not offer a lot of clearance for anyone sitting back there. I'm 5'6" and my hair was grazing the slanted roof. It has an official '5th Seat' in so far as it has a buckle for a 5th person. But said person still needs to straddle the battery island.

The Bolt got the better GUI/Infotainment system. I didn't like the Volt one comparatively as far as how the graphics looked and how everything was presented (except for the driver display, that was fairly similar). Car Play was pretty buggy (well, more buggy than the Bolt).

I never went in to ICE mode except just to try 'Hold' mode once (where you bank your Electrical Charge for use later and force the Volt into using the ICE). It seamlessly switched right from Electric to ICE. Pretty cool. At full charge it was reporting 53 miles.

Back