Range announcement tomorrow?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo

No details were released, but this teaser clip was posted on Chevrolet’s Facebook page...

Are we going to be getting a real EPA number? I hope so...

found at : http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-electric-range-announcement-coming-tomorrow/

bolt-750x424.jpg

I think it will be about 240 miles! Since the Bolt EV is very similar size and shape as the Honda Fit EV (which is taller than the standard Fit), and the Fit EV had an 82 mile range on its 20kWh pack - and since the Bolt EV will have a 60kWh pack.

NeilBlanchard said:
I think it will be about 240 miles! Since the Bolt EV is very similar size and shape as the Honda Fit EV (which is taller than the standard Fit), and the Fit EV had an 82 mile range on its 20kWh pack - and since the Bolt EV will have a 60kWh pack.

Similar logic to compare to the Chevy Spark EV (and not very good method). While I *hope* the range will be about 225-240, ...

- how heavy is the vehicle? I can't imaging it being LIGHTER than the Fit or the Spark. Having betteries with 3x the kWh capacity should increase the weight. A heavier vehicle would have an effect on city miles.

- drive train : the Spark has a VERY efficient motor, and the Chevy engineers bragged about it. I would hope that the Bolt is at least as good

- aerodynamics (i.e., drag coefficient) : reports have it that the Bolt is a (relative) pig in this respect and this will affect highway miles. The Bolt has an announced drag coefficeint of 0.32, compared to the Tesla Model S and Toyota Prius of 0.24.

NeilBlanchard said:

I was very close! :)

The Bolt EV is ~3,650 pounds if my memory serves. It is almost the same Cd as the Fit EV and similar frontal area. Aero drag is more important than weight; even at lower speeds. And the Bolt EV has improved the drivetrain efficiency with a better gearbox design; and it may have a better charger/battery/controller efficiency, too?

Back