Range less than 200

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
globecanvas said:
SeanNelson said:
EastWestBrothers said:
Remember that air resistance increases exponentially so while it only seems like a few miles per hour, the faster you go, the far greater the air resistance gets.
A lot of people don't seem to "get" exponential increases. But it's really significant - it means that while 75mph is only about 1/3 faster than 55mph, you need almost twice as much energy to push the air aside at that speed.

More than 2.5x as much, for the record. Power required to overcome aerodynamic drag increases as the cube of the velocity. Doubling the speed requires 8 times the power; increasing the speed by a factor of 75/55 requires increasing power by more than 2.5x.

Yes, but it only increases the energy (what Sean said, not power) as the square of the velocity. So 75/55 requires 1.86x as much energy per mile. That's the factor that most people care about, not instantaneous power.

At these speeds, the aero drag is the primary (but not only) source of loss. Rolling resistance does not scale with speed, so your actual efficiency will drop by somewhat less than 1.86x. Maybe 1.75x if I had to make a WAG.

As I've reported elsewhere:

1) At freeway speeds of 75 mph+, I got an estimated range of 180-190 miles (120-130 driven w/an estimated 50-60 remaining).

2) Driving only on local steets/roads at 45 moh or less w/o driving on the freeway, I got an estimated range of 295-305 miles (235-245 driven w/an estimated 50-60 remaining)

If use was evenly balanced between the 2 types of driving, the estimated range would be 237.5-247.5 (177.5-187.5 driven w/50-60 remaining) which would be well w/in the publicized range of 238 miles per charge.

If the car is brand new, I would ignore the lifetime efficiency number in the app. It is artificially low due to a number of factors, mostly related to QA testing at the factory. When I got mine, it reported a lifetime efficiency of 1.2 miles per kWh and the car only had 10 miles on it when I picked it up. After 8500 miles, it’s now up around 3.2 miles per kWh.

However, I know that figure is still artificially low because I reset my trip meter after every full charge, and it normally shows my efficiency for my 80 mile roundtrip commute to be between 3.6 and 4.2 miles per kWh. Your trip meter will provide a more accurate number.

And to echo other people, if you drive 75 all the time, your range is gonna suck, as will be the reported effeciency. The only problem with the car likely exists between accelerator pedal and driver’s seat. :)

For the record, my range using hilltop reserve is between 180 and 195 miles. On a full charge, that’s between 200 and 215 miles, with A/C on. I’m good with that number because I knew going in I wasn’t going to meet the EPA numbers because I live in a hilly area, and I’m not the most conservative driver.

Back