Selecting a Level-2 Charger

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MichaelLAX said:
How do they know what time I am charging?
LADWP offers TOU but it requires a special timed meter be installed which I do not have.

So they have no idea what time of day I am charging and just charge me per KWh.

I generally charge between 5pm until morning.

PG&E used to have 5 tiers, but over the last couple of years they've collapsed it down to just 3 tiers. Most people won't hit the third tier since it only applies if you go over 400% of baseline (they call it High Usage).

drgnfish said:
I just purchased the JuiceBox Pro 75A from eMotorWerks https://emotorwerks.com/store-juicebox-ev-charging-stations/1630-juicebox-pro-75-smart-75-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable/category_pathway-23 it was $899 with a $100 discount if you join their rewards program, which basically has your car charge during off peek hours. Also got the $299 install for the 240V ( only in California). I'll keep you updated on how fast it charges the Bolt.
Dear drgnfish, You never got back to the Bolt forum regarding how long it takes to charge the Chevy Bolt with the JuiceBox Pro 75A. The JuiceBox Pro 75A is rated at 18kW which is a much higher charge rate than most level 2 chargers, so does it charge the Chevy Bolt faster than a normal 32A 7.8kW level 2 charger? How long does it take to charge the Bolt with JuiceBox Pro 75A from an almost empty state? Thanks.

sparkyps said:
Max L2 charging is 32A, a higher rated EVSE won't charge the Bolt faster
I don't think all Level 2 charging is capped at 32A because Tesla home chargers and the JuiceBox Pro 75A claim to be Level 2 chargers on their product page (https://emotorwerks.com/store/residential/juicebox-pro-75-smart-75-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable). Does anyone know if the Bolt's Level 2 charging is capped at about 7.7kW which would be around 32A. If so, it would be a waste of money to spend an additional $400.00 on the JuiceBox Pro 75A Level 2 charger which costs $899 as opposed to their basic 40A at $499.00.

jeff3948 said:
sparkyps said:
I don't think all Level 2 charging is capped at 32A because Tesla home chargers and the JuiceBox Pro 75A claim to be Level 2 chargers on their product page (https://emotorwerks.com/store/residential/juicebox-pro-75-smart-75-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable). Does anyone know if the Bolt's Level 2 charging is capped at about 7.7kW which would be around 32A. If so, it would be a waste of money to spend an additional $400.00 on the JuiceBox Pro 75A Level 2 charger which costs $899 as opposed to their basic 40A at $499.00.
Chevy lists it as:
7.2 kW high-voltage on-board charger
http://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle/features-specs-trims-dimensions.html

Not ALL AC L2 is capped at 32A. The spec allows for up to 80A. The Bolt, however, is limited to 7.2 kW (30A @ 240V). The only J1772 vehicle above 32A is the Mercedes 250e @ 40A (Tesla HPWC are not SAE J1772 and require an adapter to charge the Bolt).

The AC "charger" is in the car - not mounted to the wall. This is true for Tesla as well as J1772 compliant EV's.

The JuiceBox 75A EVSE will not charge the Bolt any Fast than the 40A unit.
The EVSE will "advertise" the available amperage when connected to an EV, and the charger (in the car) then controls the charging session. Since the Bolt charger is 7.2 kW, either unit will supply the maximum amperage it can utilize/

The 75A unit might be useful to "future proof" your EVSE installation in anticipation of faster chargers in upcoming vehicles. Or prices/technologies might have changed when you replace the Bolt....

jeff3948 said:
sparkyps said:

Jeff wasn't saying that all EVSEs are capped at 32A. He was saying the Bolt is capped at 32A and a higher capacity charger would be overkill for it. And yes, the Bolt is capped at 32A. It's mentioned in various Chevy press coverages, and the fact that Chevy offers a 32A unit specifically for the Bolt. If the Bolt was capable of higher amperage charging, Chevy would supply a higher amperage unit.

DucRider said:
jeff3948 said:
sparkyps said:
Chevy lists it as:
7.2 kW high-voltage on-board charger
http://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle/features-specs-trims-dimensions.html

Not ALL AC L2 is capped at 32A. The spec allows for up to 80A. The Bolt, however, is limited to 7.2 kW (30A @ 240V). The only J1772 vehicle above 32A is the Mercedes 250e @ 40A (Tesla HPWC are not SAE J1772 and require an adapter to charge the Bolt).

The AC "charger" is in the car - not mounted to the wall. This is true for Tesla as well as J1772 compliant EV's.

The JuiceBox 75A EVSE will not charge the Bolt any Fast than the 40A unit.
The EVSE will "advertise" the available amperage when connected to an EV, and the charger (in the car) then controls the charging session. Since the Bolt charger is 7.2 kW, either unit will supply the maximum amperage it can utilize/

The 75A unit might be useful to "future proof" your EVSE installation in anticipation of faster chargers in upcoming vehicles. Or prices/technologies might have changed when you replace the Bolt....

The Bolt goes up to 32A/7.68 kW. It's not limited to 30A/7.2 kW. I've seen it pull 30A@244V which is 7.32 kW.

Thank you devbolt and DucRider for clearing that up with source link proof and real world experience. Now the only question that remains is do I want to future proof and spend the additional $400 for 75A or just stick with the basic 40A model? Since I hope to keep the Bolt for at least 4 years, a full charge only takes 10 hours at 32A, and the future may reduce the price of this higher powered Juicebox, I think I'll stick with the basic 40A model for $499.00. Also, I know now to refer the Juicebox as the "charging station" not the "charger".

Back