Selecting a Level-2 Charger

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sgt1372 said:
Should cost less when I get my L2 charger hooked up and can schedule charges to correspond to lower demand/lower rate time periods.
Sorry for not rereading through this thread, but do you already have Time of Day metering setup with your electricity provider?

I was told that requires an electrician to install.

About 3 years ago for the Volt I was quoted $1,400 to bring 240v into the garage and just did not see its value for the Volt. Now I am considering a full redo of my electrical box, Time of Day metering and/or solar, so I am delayed due to so many permutations.

Also I have an electrician about to give me an estimate on a temporary solution, a 100' heavy duty 240v extension from the 240v outlet I had installed 3 years ago at the electrical box all the way to the Clipper Creek that I will install in the garage for now (16amp).

120v is working fine for my personal needs. 240v is really only needed for the turnaround when I drive Uber on Friday and Saturday nights and so far I have been comvering that with DC Fast Charging, but of course that one to 1-1/2 hours out would be better spent as 7-9 hours at home.

Once I dedicate a permanent 240v line, I will purchase a 32amp EVSE and get a $750 rebate from LADWP.

I have an extra ClipperCreek HCS-40 less than a year old (hardwire version w/25' cord) and like new if anyone in the SF Bay area is interested. Switching to an outdoor retractable system. Feel free to message me.

Ok, just got the 240V outlet wired up and my Clipper Creek HCS-40P charger plugged in. Only needed a short charge. Went from 178 to 238 estimated miles in 2.5 hours or about 24.4 miles of additional range per hr of charging time. That's a lot better!!!

According to the car's screen, it was charging at a rate between 7-8 kwh; kept flipping between 7 and 8. The charger is rated at 7.7 kwh. So, it was doing what it was supposed to do. It's early yet but I'm very happy with the charger.

BTW, my electrician charged me $500 to run about 35 ft of conduit (up, across and down a wall) and to install the NEMA 14-50 outlet from a new 50amp circuit in the auxiliary box that he previously installed in my garage.

The Clipper Charger itself (including tax/shipping) cost me $653 plus another $27 (including tax/shipping) for an extra connector holster. So, my total cost for the install was $1,180 for the charger and wiring altogether.

Does ClipperCreek make an EVSE that is WiFi enabled and comes with a SmartPhone app?

y4UVM

Charge https://imgur.com/gallery/y4UVM
https://imgur.com/gallery/YCBAz
YCBAz

sgt1372 said:
Ok, just got the 240V outlet wired up and my Clipper Creek HCS-40P charger plugged in. Only needed a short charge. Went from 178 to 238 estimated miles in 2.5 hours or about 24.4 miles of additional range per hr of charging time. That's a lot better!!!

According to the car's screen, it was charging at a rate between 7-8 kwh; kept flipping between 7 and 8. The charger is rated at 7.7 kwh. So, it was doing what it was supposed to do. It's early yet but I'm very happy with the charger.
I just had a 2nd electrician out (the first one disappeared!) to give me an estimate to build and install a 100' 240v extension cord from the 6-30 I had installed at the electrical box in 2013 and to my garage to use my Clipper Creek LCS-25P.

Since the LCS-25P only runs 16amps it should only provide about half of yours, or 12 miles of additional range per hr of charging time, which is sure better than the 4 hours I get now at 120v!

scbolt said:
Does ClipperCreek make an EVSE that is WiFi enabled and comes with a SmartPhone app?

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-20-to-32

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80

SparkE said:
scbolt said:

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-20-to-32

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-40-to-80

Thanks for the links from ClipperCreek website; I had already looked at those but see no mention of any WiFi ability or SmartPhone app support. Hence I am assuming ClipperCreek does not support this, but wanted to still confirm with some actual owners here.

I am looking at a 40amp EVSE with a good Android app support. My Bolt has been ordered but won't be here for another ~2 months, but would like to get the setup ready for charging before it gets here.

I am currently leaning towards the JuiceBox 40 Pro. Are there any other ones that are similar that folks here have used and like?

Is there any reason to get the JuiceBox 75 Pro instead of the 40 Pro for future protection?

scbolt said:
Thanks for the links from ClipperCreek website; I had already looked at those but see no mention of any WiFi ability or SmartPhone app support. Hence I am assuming ClipperCreek does not support this, but wanted to still confirm with some actual owners here.

No Cllipper Creek does NOT offer a charger w/mobile app monitoring capability. That's one of the reasons that I chose it; less to malfunction and worry about. That's also what other Clipper Creek buyers mention as well.

Trolling the reviews for Juice Box and other such devices, inability to link is a problem, as it is w/all mobile devices from time to time. Doesn't mean it can't be useful info but I don't think it's really necessary.

FWIW, you can "monitor" charging sessions on the Bolt via the MyChevy app (which is supported by OnStar). You can get notifications if charging is interrupted and when it's finished.

There seems to be a problem w/false interruption warnings (there's a thread about this). I was getting quite a few such messages until I turned that notification off. However, the "charging completed" notice seems to be right on and that's all I really need to know.

sgt1372 said:
scbolt said:

No Cllipper Creek does NOT offer a charger w/mobile app monitoring capability. That's one of the reasons that I chose it; less to malfunction and worry about. That's also what other Clipper Creek buyers mention as well.

Trolling the reviews for Juice Box and other such devices, inability to link is a problem, as it is w/all mobile devices from time to time. Doesn't mean it can't be useful info but I don't think it's really necessary.

FWIW, you can "monitor" charging sessions on the Bolt via the MyChevy app (which is supported by OnStar). You can get notifications if charging is interrupted and when it's finished.

There seems to be a problem w/false interruption warnings (there's a thread about this). I was getting quite a few such messages until I turned that notification off. However, the "charging completed" notice seems to be right on and that's all I really need to know.

Thanks much for the details! Much appreciated!

Will do so more reading before finalizing.

Other than this forum and Amazon reviews, are there​ any other websites that has good coverage of multiple EVSEs, preferably from real owners?

markbolt11 said:
I went with the Chargepoint Home 32 Amp Plug-in station with a 25 foot cord. It was $749 on Amazon but fortunately Delaware's Clean Vehicle rebates cover 50% of the cost up to $500! Mounting and set-up was very easy, once it turned on was a couple clicks in the Chargepoint app and it connected to Wifi and set itself up very quickly. Definitely recommend. Now waiting for the car...

I got the same. Pretty great and looks slick - currently waiting to be approved for a CA $400 rebate through SoCal Edison for the pilot Sub-Metering program. Allows to have the Chargepoint act as a second household meter that can be charged as an EV rate ( .14¢ from 21:00 to 12:00 per kWh).

There is almost nothing you can do with a wi-fi connected EVSE that you cannot do with the my.chevrolet web site or the available smartphone app for iPhone or Android.
The Bolt has all that stuff, so there is no point in paying for a redundant set of capabilities in an EVSE.

We're going with the FLO X5. For the Canadians amongst us, this unit is made in Canada - support local!

They were all over the place at the Ottawa/Gatineau International Auto Show.

Nice looking unit that will meet my needs for home use.

https://flo.ca/at-home/single-family/x5

58040329_934.jpg

EldRick said:
There is almost nothing you can do with a wi-fi connected EVSE that you cannot do with the my.chevrolet web site or the available smartphone app for iPhone or Android.
...as long as you continue to pay for your OnStar subscription after the free trial expires.

SeanNelson said:
EldRick said:
...as long as you continue to pay for your OnStar subscription after the free trial expires.

The basic OnStar service (which supports the MyChevyApp notifications and diagnostics) is supposed to last for at least 5 years without any additional payment.

sgt1372 said:
SeanNelson said:
EldRick said:

The basic OnStar service (which supports the MyChevyApp notifications and diagnostics) is supposed to last for at least 5 years without any additional payment.

So the 'free trial' for notifications and diagnostics ... is 5 years.

SparkE said:
sgt1372 said:
SeanNelson said:

So the 'free trial' for notifications and diagnostics ... is 5 years.

Yes, according to the Chevy salesperson who handled the lease of my Bolt and according to this web article that I just found:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/07/2015-model-year-gm-vehicles-introduce-free-onstar-basic-plan/

and according to these OnStar webpages as well:

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/help-support/basic-plan.html
https://www.onstar.com/us/en/help-support/basic-plan/services-included.html

Back