Should Chevy call their EV the Bolt or not?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukestuke

Found this article on GreenCarReports

chevrolet-bolt-ev-concept-2015-detroit-auto-show_100496697_m.jpg

Or, as reporters found ourselves saying by the end of the show: "Bolt-with-a-B, not Volt-with-a-V."

Which highlights the challenges that would follow if Chevy actually gave the electric car--which will reportedly go into production in mid-2017--a name so similar to "Volt" that many people don't hear the difference.

Especially some Spanish speakers, for whom "V" sounds are pronounced with a "B" anyhow.

That's where a few electric-car advocates come in, having floated the idea that it should be called the "EV2" on forums and in private discussions.

But, it raises another question: What does GM have to do to be forgiven for killing the EV1? In some eyes, it seems, there will never be forgiveness.

"I don't care how far you can drive on a Bolt, I would never buy a GM Electric car after what they did with the EV-1 from 1996 [to] 1999," wrote one member of a Nissan Leaf online forum.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096293_should-gm-name-its-bolt-electric-car-the-2018-chevrolet-ev2

I like Bolt as a name - bolt of lightning, very electric in it's nature.

I didn't know that V is pronounced B sometimes in Spanish - that could be very confusing for those countries.

However, rhyming model names isn't really that big of a deal. There are so many vehicles I imagine there's a rhyme out there already, I just couldn't think of one.

And how about some of the automakers that use all numbers, it's confusing because you can never remember what's what - M5, X5 etc, or QX50, QX60, QX70, QX80... which one is the biggest SUV? Hint: not the QX80

I can attest to the confusion between the Bolt and Volt, especially for Spanish-speakers. I live in a largely Spanish-speaking community, where most if not all the sales staff at my local Chevy dealership are Latino. I and asked about the Bolt they thought I was asking about the Volt. Not a great choice of names, if only because of that, and also, because a bolt is something you attach to a nut with a wrench. A very low-tech image, at best.

roundpeg said:
Not a great choice of names, if only because of that, and also, because a bolt is something you attach to a nut with a wrench. A very low-tech image, at best.
"Bolt" is also used as a noun to describe lightning, and therefore suggests a surge of electricity.

And it's also used as a verb meaning "to escape suddenly", which suggests a surge of speed.

It's unfortunate that it's sound is so similar to the Volt, but otherwise I think it's as good as many of the other car names out there.

SeanNelson said:
Bolt" is also used as a noun to describe lightning, and therefore suggests a surge of electricity.

And it's also used as a verb meaning "to escape suddenly", which suggests a surge of speed.

It's unfortunate that it's sound is so similar to the Volt, but otherwise I think it's as good as many of the other car names out there.

I would not buy or not buy this or any other car just because of the name (I suppose if was truly hideous I might make an exception), I just wonder sometimes if marketing departments think these things through as much as they should.

Aidan said:
Most car names are not that impressive

But Chevy Bolt is an awesome name. a. It represents lightning bolt and b. It's the name of the fastest man alive!

mark111 said:
Er, they are already calling it Chevy Bolt EV. Why are we having this discussion?

We're not having this discussion about Chevrolet Bolt's name anew. It's just a very old post.

GetOffYourGas said:
stephen said:
It's the name of the fastest man alive!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one making this connection while watching the Olympics!

lol. Who can forget Usain Bolt! I can't help but think GM thought of him too while naming Chevrolet Bolt.

Back