Software glitch when on DCFC

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpsman

About 3 times now I have noticed the following software glitch. It does not happen all the time.
Probably 3 / 15 times, or 20% of the time this has happened.

I pull into a DCFC stall. I leave the car "on". I put it in park, and have the parking brake on. I plug in and activate the 50 kw DCFC.

While I'm charging, the car thinks I am in "Regen" mode on a long downhill and my miles per kWh go through the roof.

The following screen shot is of highway driving (70 mph) followed by 20-25 minutes of DCFC, followed by more highway driving. I always net 4.0 mi/kWh +/- 0.2.

There was no downhill in this graph.
My "tank" average jumped to a whopping 51 mi/kWh overall.

IMG_2879.JPG

If this happened all the time, I would say it is normal, and the software can't tell the difference between power coming in from a plug or regen.

I would then recommend to everyone who cares about keeping accuate energy data to always turn off the car, so the mi/kWh computer is "asleep" during DCFC.

However, it has only behaved like this during 3 of 15 DCFC sessions for me. I like to leave the car on while I sit because I like to have the radio on, and I like to watch the charge rate (still looking for the elusive charge rate greater than 46 kw) and once in a blue moon, I run the climate control while sitting.

Anyone else see this?

What is equally odd, in retrospect, my "range" did not change.

Even though my tank average was 51.1 mi/kWh my range stayed at 77 miles for 6 green bars, which is normal. To bad. It would have been a cool screen shot to see a range of +/- 770 miles, with 6 bars remaining, even if false!

I did drive about 20 miles to get home after the DCFC and my range dropped just 1 mile from 77 to 76.

I have also had this happen one time. I don't recall leaving the car on that time, but it's possible, and I had assumed that's what happened.

In my case, the recent history bar rolled over 252 mi/kwh and went to zero, as I've described in another thread.

I recently did a 30 min fast charge session with the car on and this did not happen.

Back