Speed vs Efficiency with respect to total travel time

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redpoint5 said:
Neat experiment.

I can cover that distance in 6 hrs, 30 minutes at 70 MPH in my Prius and burn only 9 gallons of fuel. I bet I could go 1000 miles on a tank of fuel if I drove 25 MPH. Perhaps even further since my engine would be off most of the time, only kicking on to periodically charge the battery.

We drove out to a dog show in southern Alberta (and back) yesterday. 782 km / 485.9 miles. I drove 80 mph on the way down, but was hauling ass at 85 on the way back. No charging stops and/or fill ups required. Burned just over 10 gallons of diesel, averaging 47.9 mpg. I don't know of any other car that is capable of that kind of highway fuel economy - at over 80 mph, without tailgating a semi truck or otherwise hypermiling to achieve it. Not bad for a 5 year old wagon. I'm still amazed at how efficient this thing is, even driving fast.

The Prius Prime is rated at a combined 54 mpg. At 80 mph, It might have a shot beating those 47.9 mpg due to it's 0.24 cd.

oilerlord said:
redpoint5 said:
Neat experiment.

I can cover that distance in 6 hrs, 30 minutes at 70 MPH in my Prius and burn only 9 gallons of fuel. I bet I could go 1000 miles on a tank of fuel if I drove 25 MPH. Perhaps even further since my engine would be off most of the time, only kicking on to periodically charge the battery.

We drove out to a dog show in southern Alberta (and back) yesterday. 782 km / 485.9 miles. I drove 80 mph on the way down, but was hauling ass at 85 on the way back. No charging stops and/or fill ups required. Burned just over 10 gallons of diesel, averaging 47.9 mpg. I don't know of any other car that is capable of that kind of highway fuel economy - at over 80 mph, without tailgating a semi truck or otherwise hypermiling to achieve it. Not bad for a 5 year old wagon. I'm still amazed at how efficient this thing is, even driving fast.

The Prius Prime is rated at a combined 54 mpg. At 80 mph, It might have a shot beating those 47.9 mpg due to it's 0.24 cd.
stolenmoment said:
Yes, you can get better fuel economy when you disable the pollution controls...
oilerlord said:
stolenmoment said:
Yes, you can get better fuel economy when you disable the pollution controls...

Have you heard of anyone doing that on a Prius Prime? Is that even possible?
Don't give up your day job! :lol:

MichaelLAX said:
redpoint5 said:
This is close to my calculated sweet spot of 71 MPH.
The fastest (and safest) speed that gets you to the next DCFC is always best, as DCFC are outputting fastest when the energy remaining is lowest.

You clearly have not read any of my posts, or those posted in the link above. Not only that, but speed has nothing to do with state of charge. I can arrive at a DCFC station with 1% remaining capacity regardless of if I drove 50 MPH, or 90.

DCFC for the Bolt is incapable of charging at a rate that offsets the inefficiency of driving above about 75 MPH. Travel above that speed, and you are likely to not only arrive later, but spend more money at those ridiculously priced EVGo chargers.

California always has a right lane for slower traffic!

In addition, there is the unofficial "California Courtesy" which is if you are driving the left lane at no matter what speed and someone approaches you at a faster speed from behind, you move over to the right and let them pass, and then move back to the left lane.

Not only does California have the best traffic engineers (for example, HOV lanes that interchange to HOV lanes), but, for the most part, the best drivers, too!

California didn't invent multilane roadways. All 50 states have them.

It isn't a courtesy to move out of the way of faster traffic, it's the law CVC 21654(a).

California has among the harshest roadways and most gridlocked traffic in all the country. This doesn't speak well of their engineering prowess. Most measures of CA drivers ranks them poorly, especially since the state has the 2nd highest motor vehicle fatality rate per capita.

California
> Road deaths per 100,000: 7.9 (2nd highest)
> Total roadway fatalities in 2014: 3074 (2nd highest)
> Pct. of residents using seat belts: 97% (tied-2nd highest)
> Pct. of drivers killed w/ BAC ≥ 0.08: 359 (the highest)
> Pct. of fatal crashes on rural roads: 38% (tied-12th lowest)

I was referring to the multi-city interstates; not the intracity interstates and your comment: "For some people, 75 MPH is not normal freeway speed. I know that's slow on California interstates, and some states have 80 MPH speed limits"

There is plenty of room for slow and safe drivers in California, thank you!

And I will note for the record, that California has more automobiles per capita than any other state, and in the 50+ years that I have lived here, it is their excellent highway engineers that have attempted to keep pace with this growth!

But bash California all you want

On the one hand you accuse Californians of consistently traveling faster than "the law" when it furthers your argument:

redpoint5 said:
For some people, 75 MPH is not normal freeway speed. I know that's slow on California interstates, and some states have 80 MPH speed limits.

And on the other hand you quote the law when it it consistent with Californian's driving conduct when it furthers your argument:

redpoint5 said:
It isn't a courtesy to move out of the way of faster traffic, it's the law CVC 21654(a).

Which is it?

Back