Steering wheel lights, reset, favorite station paddles not working

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjim

The steering wheel lights, check button, and favorite switches are not working on my Bolt premier with less than 800 miles. Any ideas or suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

Lights returned to the steering wheel controls, as did the functionality of the fav paddles. Don't know why they disappeared or reappeared.

jimmyjim said:
Lights returned to the steering wheel controls, as did the functionality of the fav paddles. Don't know why they disappeared or reappeared.

Hi jimmyjim,

If you'd like, I can definitely reach out to your dealership to ask that they run some diagnostic testing and do a quick check up on your Bolt EV. If this is something I can do for you, please provide your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and servicing dealership name within a private message.

To review GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

This may not be an isolated incident, I'm afraid. I came across this thread via a google search - I'm having the exact same issue. I have a Bolt LT, with ~1500 miles on it. Curiously, I found the heated steering wheel does get warm when I hit the button for it, but the light doesn't turn on. Arrows, check, voice, hangup, and paddles do not work (favorite station and volume).

Fingers crossed that it starts magically working again - but this behavior is a big dodgy for a new car.

afragilis said:
This may not be an isolated incident, I'm afraid. I came across this thread via a google search - I'm having the exact same issue. I have a Bolt LT, with ~1500 miles on it. Curiously, I found the heated steering wheel does get warm when I hit the button for it, but the light doesn't turn on. Arrows, check, voice, hangup, and paddles do not work (favorite station and volume).

Fingers crossed that it starts magically working again - but this behavior is a big dodgy for a new car.

Hi afragillis,

I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing some reduced functionality in your Bolt EV. If you haven't already reached out to your servicing dealership to get a diagnostic appointment scheduled, please follow up with me via email at [email protected] or via private message here. We can take a look at things on our end and assist accordingly from that point.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

It just happened to our Bolt on our way home. All the buttons on the steering wheel are dark but the steering wheel heater is working. Our Bolt LT is only 7 days old with 300 miles driven so far.

Load6376 said:
It just happened to our Bolt on our way home. All the buttons on the steering wheel are dark but the steering wheel heater is working. Our Bolt LT is only 7 days old with 300 miles driven so far.

Oh no, Load6376! If you haven't already made your selling dealership aware of this issue and scheduled a diagnostic appointment, please send your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and servicing dealer name. We can be reached via private message on this forum or via email at [email protected]. We'd be happy to help!

To review GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Me too. The lights and controls went out. They came back after I restarted the car. The outage happened right after a full (trickle) charge. It hasn't happened again, yet, but the car has less then 200 miles on it.

I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that the pedestrian warning speaker and the steering wheel are both on the same fuse now? They combined the circuit back in January to stop people from pulling the fuse for the warning speaker. I wonder if this isn't an unforseen consequence?

Anyone having the problem know their build date?

How would one figure out the build date? (My car is about 2 weeks old, and a custom order, so I assume it is a recent build date).

But, this would seem to be a software problem given that it fixes itself with a reboot (aka, power cycling the car).

Well, I couldn't find the build date. There were tire pressure and Union stickers on the door, but nothing with the build date. I looked under the hood and couldn't find anything there either.

salterpoint said:
Well, I couldn't find the build date. There were tire pressure and Union stickers on the door, but nothing with the build date. I looked under the hood and couldn't find anything there either.

It's on the body to the right of the opening, covered by the door when it's shut.

At this point, the easiest way to check is to look at your software version in Software Information. All post-January builds have version 14.1.0 and the older builds have 13.4.0. But the VIN and some door sill stickers would have that build date info.

Just hit 1700 miles. It was raining and I noticed my odometer wouldn't change screens from following distance with the right check buttons. Then I noticed the orange indicator lights on the lane assist, and heated steering wheel did not illuminate but both functions still worked. I could use cruise control buttons but the favorite paddles and volume paddles stopped working. I tried restarting my car, and plugged it in. But still no change. Hopefully the full charge fixes it but it seems to be a software bug, because so many people had the same experience.

Anyone have updates to this issue?

It just happened to me on a return trip from the market. 1440 miles. I was messing with driving in L and back to D then noticed I couldn't change anything via the steering wheel control buttons .

Went home, turned off and restarted, still nothing. :(

Will wait until the morning to see if it resets.

Amber G from Chevy Customer Care sent my information about my steering wheel control problem to my local Chevy service center. My Bolt was "reprogrammed" and the problem hasn't returned. The reprogramming took up to 4 hours. Amber G is really there to help us resolve our Bolt problems. Much appreciated!

Hi everyone,

For those of you currently experiencing concerns with your steering wheel controls, there is in fact a fix that can be done through your dealership now. Please feel free to send us a private message, and we'd be happy to connect with your dealer on your behalf. We'll just need your VIN, contact information, mileage and preferred dealer.

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back