Strange Sound

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see no reason why somebody would want/need to put the car into "P" while it is still moving. I agree there should be a software update to prevent this from happening. No Park mode unless the brake is depressed.

It's not a "nanny state". Even though the vast majority of drivers are careful, it doesn't take much to hit the Park button prematurely. Especially if in a hurry. It could save a costly and lengthy repair.

gbobman said:
I'll just add this has happened to me 3 times. Each while setting in Park while my foot is on the brake and in L and on a flat surface not moving.

I think its a bit of gear grinding in the transmission. Not sure how detrimental it is as the motor is not moving. If it fails, they fix.
Given that the car has a fixed gear transmission with no "neutral" position, I fail to understand how there could be a grinding sound when applying the parking brake if the car isn't moving. If the car isn't moving that means the wheels aren't turning, which means that the motor and gears aren't turning either.

To me, if there's a grinding sound then it sure sounds like there must be some movement going on...

I cannot imagine the growling sound being any good for the car.

In my view, this is related to the greater 'one-pedal' L-mode driving concept which Chevy promoted heavily with this car; which generally discourages the use of the brake pedal. I routinely did not use the brake pedal with this car, as per GM 'one-pedal' guidance.

This growling issue, together with the brake light which comes on during re-gen, then goes off at full-stop in L-mode will, in similar ways, create issues for Chevy. I was almost rear-ended twice in stop-go traffic jams before I starting to use the brake pedal again during heavy traffic.

So from the other forum I visit for bolt, 17-NA-088 Noise Heard Under Hood Towards Right Side of Vehicle when shifting to Park

http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?625-Bolt-Service-Bulletins-Campaigns-and-Recalls

It's apparently a known thing.

gbobman said:
So from the other forum I visit for bolt, 17-NA-088 Noise Heard Under Hood Towards Right Side of Vehicle when shifting to Park

http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?625-Bolt-Service-Bulletins-Campaigns-and-Recalls

Is this somehow indicating that this is normal and okay?

flamaest said:
gbobman said:

Is this somehow indicating that this is normal and okay?

No! It's to inform people of why it makes the noise and adjust their use to appropriately stop doing this.
Stop the car with the foot brake before shifting to park. Same as you would with any other car. :idea:

gbobman said:
I don't believe that is what is stated on the release.

While I'm sure you're looking for some other answer, the simple FACT IS: Use the foot brake the same as you
would with any other car to stop the vehicle before putting it into park I don't know what answer you're looking
for, but this is a simple rule for all cars and trucks.

Do you NOT use the foot brake to stop your ICE before putting it into park ??

Here's the TSB. It's telling you the same thing

Attachments

• trans noise.jpg
    trans noise.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 8,245
drdiesel1 said:
...the simple FACT IS: Use the foot brake the same as you
would with any other car to stop the vehicle before putting it into park I don't know what answer you're looking

Dude, chill. No need to get all SJW up in here. We are discussing. If you think you are going to "win", you don't know the internet.

I do appreciate a conversation where you can bring up opposing thoughts to refine an answer. You are getting a bit overboard on it.

gbobman said:
drdiesel1 said:
...the simple FACT IS: Use the foot brake the same as you

Dude, chill. No need to get all SJW up in here. We are discussing. If you think you are going to "win", you don't know the internet.

I do appreciate a conversation where you can bring up opposing thoughts to refine an answer. You are getting a bit overboard on it.

LOL! It has nothing to do with winning, anything, Dude.... It's about common sense and not being an idiot over a simple
everyday operation. Don't hit the frickin park button without stopping using the same brake pedal we've all been using
since the automobile was invented. It's nothing new, so don't go looking for some other solution. The TSB has it in black and white.......Read IT!

This is a new side effect totally relating to one pedal driving. Before, our foot was always on the brake when parking, so the car was always stopped when shifting into "P".

Now, it's quite easy to come to a complete stop without using the brake. It's a learning curve - get back into the habit of using the brake pedal before shifting into Park. Better yet - engage the emergency brake before shifting.

Official "Chevy Bolt one-pedal driving" marketing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sH-tvEE8aM

drdiesel1 said:
LOL! It has nothing to do with winning, anything, Dude.... It's about common sense and not being an idiot over a simple
everyday operation. Don't hit the frickin park button without stopping using the same brake pedal we've all been using
since the automobile was invented. It's nothing new, so don't go looking for some other solution. The TSB has it in black and white.......Read IT!
OK, since it is clear you have not read or maybe understood what I wrote, let me clarify for you.

I do not imply that the theory that switching to Park can cause the sound. I do imply that it may not be the only cause.

As I have stated, I have encountered the sound - more than once - while still meeting the criteria set forth in the TSB. The facts being; my car was stopped, foot was applied to the brake throughout the process, and the sound was still heard.

OMG, took in my car to get its 1st courtesy car wash and as the dealership salesman was driving the car back to me all clean, and as he stopped the car, he failed to handle the parking brake and park setting correctly, and the car growled heavily like the gears were grinding really bad. This really pissed me off, I hope the idiot didn't destroy my transmission. There were two other sales guys that witnessed this. Only have 3k miles on the car.

I'll be washing my own car moving forward, thank you very much for possibly screwing up my car's transmission.

Back