Suggestions

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camarobh

I have just under 2K miles on my Bolt. I love the car and the technology, but I have these suggestions and one problem:

1. Allow me to set L as the default driving mode.
2. Allow me to access the cameras on the vehicle from my iPhone. When it's parked I'd like to check in on it.
3. Allow me to turn off inputs I never use, like Sirius-XM. I only use Apple CarPlay.
4. Put the outside temp somewhere on the instrument cluster. It doesn't show when in CarPlay.
5. Most of the time the first time I plug in my iPhone when I receive a text the volume is very low. When I unplug my iPhone and plug it back in the volume is normal.

Camarobh said:
Allow me to access the cameras on the vehicle from my iPhone. When it's parked I'd like to check in on it.
That's actually a very cool idea. Even better, I'd like to see them offer a "dashcam" capability using the built-in cameras. It seems stupid to have to buy more cameras and wire them up when the car is already festooned with them.

Camarobh said:
4. Put the outside temp somewhere on the instrument cluster. It doesn't show when in CarPlay.
This so much! I use Android Auto and would love to still be able to see the temp.

If I may add one:

5) Stop telling me that I shouldn't be looking at the screen while driving once a week on a screen I can only look at while driving. And I have to look at that screen to click the OK button that I shouldn't be interacting with anyway.

SeanNelson said:
Camarobh said:
Allow me to access the cameras on the vehicle from my iPhone. When it's parked I'd like to check in on it.
That's actually a very cool idea. Even better, I'd like to see them offer a "dashcam" capability using the built-in cameras. It seems stupid to have to buy more cameras and wire them up when the car is already festooned with them.
Yeah, and in theory they could either store the video in the cloud, on your plugged in phone, or on a thumb drive plugged into a USB port. Or to the MyChevy app on a BlueTooth or Wifi connected phone or tablet.

This is a feature they could add in a software update and use as a selling point. Clearly the cameras are available to the infotainment console and the USB ports can read and presumably write to the USB.

SeanNelson said:
Camarobh said:
Toyota is looking to start adding dashcams as an option. I recently got a survey from Toyota asking about whether I would like it, how much I would be willing to pay for it, etc.

bbock said:
SeanNelson said:
Camarobh said:
Yeah, and in theory they could either store the video in the cloud, on your plugged in phone, or on a thumb drive plugged into a USB port. Or to the MyChevy app on a BlueTooth or Wifi connected phone or tablet.
The thumb drive in a USB port is the obvious choice, IMHO. The hardware is already there, and USB provides a simple, no fuss way to transfer your videos elsewhere without having to rely on services that require accounts, passwords, etc. etc.

bbock said:
SeanNelson said:
Camarobh said:

This is a feature they could add in a software update and use as a selling point. Clearly the cameras are available to the infotainment console and the USB ports can read and presumably write to the USB.

While most of the necessary hardware is already in place, and I think this is a great idea, the biggest obstacle is storing the video since it wasn't designed with that function in mind. What happens if your USB stick isn't plugged in? Or you forget to plug in your phone? Or your phone's Bluetooth connection has failed? Or you don't have OnStar service signal? Dashcams have dedicated memory for this, either built-in or via an SD card that has to be plugged in in order for the camera to function.

devbolt said:
While most of the necessary hardware is already in place, and I think this is a great idea, the biggest obstacle is storing the video since it wasn't designed with that function in mind. What happens if your USB stick isn't plugged in? Or you forget to plug in your phone? Or your phone's Bluetooth connection has failed? Or you don't have OnStar service signal? Dashcams have dedicated memory for this, either built-in or via an SD card that has to be plugged in in order for the camera to function.
It's not that hard - if the storage medium isn't available then you don't record the video. If it is available, you record the video.

Of course, they can't even get the radio to remember how it was set from turning the car off to on again, so maybe it is too hard for them to figure out... :roll:

SeanNelson said:
devbolt said:
It's not that hard - if the storage medium isn't available then you don't record the video. If it is available, you record the video.

Of course, they can't even get the radio to remember how it was set from turning the car off to on again, so maybe it is too hard for them to figure out... :roll:

I figured if no storage medium was available, it simply wouldn't record anything.

And then I can see an owner suing GM because they got into an accident, assumed the dashcams were working, and then found that they had forgotten to plug something in, and subsequently were found at fault because they had no proof (the dashcam video) the other driver was at fault. "But GM said I had dashcams now!"

It also occurs to me that only the Premier has the necessary cameras already in place.

devbolt said:
SeanNelson said:
devbolt said:

...I can see an owner suing GM because they got into an accident, assumed the dashcams were working, and then found that they had forgotten to plug something in, and subsequently were found at fault because they had no proof (the dashcam video) the other driver was at fault. "But GM said I had dashcams now!"
A simple message on the DIC would solve that problem.

devbolt said:
mikegrb said:
There is http://www.chevrolet.com/performance-data-recorder on the Camaro and Corvette which includes modes for normal driving and valet mode where it's auto on. PDR uses an SD card but storing to a thumb drive would technically work the same.

$1795 for the package on the Corvette. $1300 on the Camara ZL1. Ouch. Nice toy, though...
For those looking for a dashcam, there's a group buy portal over on the Model 3 Owners Club they just opened up.
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/group-buy-blackvue-thinkware-dashcam-gauging-interest.4517/page-8#post-43153
Once they get 75 orders, they start shipping.

Back