Tesla Model 3 vs Chevrolet Bolt EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit, after last night's reveal, I am leaning much more towards the Model III. It is a sleek, sexy machine. And it's available in AWD. I'm still concerned about Tesla's reliability record, though, so I don't want to be at the front of that line - let the early owners work through the issues first. I doubt the Model III will ever match the Bolt on that front.

If I had the option to choose between a Bolt and a Model 3, I think the Model 3 would suit me better. And based on the preliminary manufacturers' numbers, the Model 3 will be similarly priced, maybe even cheaper ($30K after incentives vs $35K before incentives).

BUT

I hope and expect that a year from now I can go to a Chevy dealer and lease a Bolt for less tha $400 a month. I expect to have 30,000 miles on that Bolt before I see any significant number of Models 3 on the road. And I expect the lease on the Bolt to be ending before the cheaper versions become readily available. By that time, who's to say what will be on the market? The Model 3 might by then have been surpassed by something else.

michael said:
If I had the option to choose between a Bolt and a Model 3, I think the Model 3 would suit me better. And based on the preliminary manufacturers' numbers, the Model 3 will be similarly priced, maybe even cheaper ($30K after incentives vs $35K before incentives).

BUT

I hope and expect that a year from now I can go to a Chevy dealer and lease a Bolt for less tha $400 a month. I expect to have 30,000 miles on that Bolt before I see any significant number of Models 3 on the road. And I expect the lease on the Bolt to be ending before the cheaper versions become readily available. By that time, who's to say what will be on the market? The Model 3 might by then have been surpassed by something else.

Exactly my thinking. I expect to get a Bolt in December and be ready for whatever the impending EV explosion brings about 3 years from now.

michael said:

BUT

Yup. In my case, I'll keep driving my Leaf until those cheaper Model IIIs are available. Or better yet, something else is available that everyone else will flock to. Then I can pick up a used Model III (or Bolt) that someone is looking to get rid of.

The Bolt's only competitor is the BMW i3, and that isn't even a straight comparison because the i3 is a EREV not a BEV.

If Tesla lasts long enough to put the Model 3 into production (since they're bleeding cash, and yes, I know, I'm a glass half empty type of person, but I do hope they continue to succeed) then the Model 3 will definitely blow the doors off the Bolt if the price is similar.

I will hold my final comments until I've seen and test driven both of them. There is still the unknown of what a Tesla that is built on a budget will be like...

shane78 said:
The Bolt's only competitor is the BMW i3, and that isn't even a straight comparison because the i3 is a EREV not a BEV.
Try the i3 BEV, LEAF gen 2 (not officially announced), IONIQ Electric, e-Golf or Focus Electric. All of these do or will have range above 100 miles when the Bolt EV is available.

I'm seeing so many Tesla Model 3 vs Chevy Bolt in the Chevy Bolt forum, but frankly, I don't see the point. Both the cars are very different and people are going to choose as they prefer.

Back