Tesla Supercharging (topic split)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt1372

SparkEVPilot said:
[Yep! Put the charging stations in a location that people will not like to park in. At the Bass Pro Shop in Manteca, CA, there are 8 TESLA Super Charging stations at the furthermost distance away from front of The Bass Pro Shop. I have never seen these locations ICED.

I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla using any of the chargers in Manteca. Must be one of the least used Supercharger sites in the Bay Area.

On the other hand, the ones at the Dublin showroom are always in use. The sales rep showed me the data and it's one of the busiest Supercharger sites in the WORLD.

sgt1372 said:
SparkEVPilot said:
[Yep! Put the charging stations in a location that people will not like to park in. At the Bass Pro Shop in Manteca, CA, there are 8 TESLA Super Charging stations at the furthermost distance away from front of The Bass Pro Shop. I have never seen these locations ICED.

I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla using any of the chargers in Manteca. Must be one of the least used Supercharger sites in the Bay Area.

On the other hand, the ones at the Dublin showroom are always in use. The sales rep showed me the data and it's one of the busiest Supercharger sites in the WORLD.

Actually, the Tesla Super Chargers in Manteca are being used. I often see at least one Tesla there and many times 3 or 4.

SparkEVPilot said:
sgt1372 said:
SparkEVPilot said:

Actually, the Tesla Super Chargers in Manteca are being used. I often see at least one Tesla there and many times 3 or 4.

Just not when I'm out there then, I guess, but I'm not out there often.

Still not used as much as Dublin and, if I had a Tesla and had the choice, I'd head out to Manteca where I can browe the Bass Pro store, watch a movie and/or have something to eat while waiting for my Tesla to charge up.

sgt1372 said:
SparkEVPilot said:
sgt1372 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla using any of the chargers in Manteca...

Actually, the Tesla Super Chargers in Manteca are being used...

Just not when I'm out there then...
What am I missing here: given that Tesla's charging technology is proprietary; do we care?

Do we debate the availability and usage of Chademo's too?

MichaelLAX said:
What am I missing here: given that Tesla's charging technology is proprietary; do we care??

You're just missing the point that SparkEVPilot and I were having an off-topic conversation about our observations concerning the usage of the Tesla Supercharger site in Manteca.

Of course, it's nothing you need to worry about (unless you own a Tesla). Nor should we unless either of us decide to buy/lease a Tesla, which is certainly an option that I would consider after my Bolt lease expires.

sgt1372 said:
SparkEVPilot said:

Manteca is not in the Bay Area - it is in the central valley.

SparkE said:
sgt1372 said:

LOL!!!

You're right, of course, but the boundaries of what is considered the "Bay Area" has been vastly expanded from days of old.

Back in the day, it was only those parts of the counties located directly along the Bay -- the metropolitan area -- but tell that to all the people who now commute to SF from Tracy, Manteca and Modesto, Gilroy and Morgan Hill, Santa Rosa and Sebastopol, Fairfield and Napa which are certainly on the outer fringes of the 9 counties and heretofore where NEVER even thought of as part of the metropolitan "Bay Area."

Even Antioch, Brentwood and Oakley are technically in the Delta and are on the Central Valley side of Mt. Diablo, even though they are still w/in the boundaries of Contra Costa County.

Manteca isn't even in a county that *touches* the Bay - the entire county is in the central valley (or the hills overlooking it). But yes, it's only 50 mins or so to Hayward from Manteca.

SparkE said:
sgt1372 said:
SparkEVPilot said:

I had to laugh yesterday as I remembered this posting. The Manteca Tesla charging site has 8 charging parking spaces. Yesterday, after a fine meal at Red Robbin, I walked out at 1:30 pm to see all 8 Tesla charging spots were occupied by Teslas being charged.

SparkEVPilot said:
I had to laugh yesterday as I remembered this posting. The Manteca Tesla charging site has 8 charging parking spaces. Yesterday, after a fine meal at Red Robbin, I walked out at 1:30 pm to see all 8 Tesla charging spots were occupied by Teslas being charged.

Just wait til they start selling the Model 3. If they actually sell 100's of thousands of them, there will be Teslas waiting at all of the Supercharger sites and probably taking over public sites as well.

sgt1372 said:
SparkEVPilot said:
Just wait til they start selling the Model 3. If they actually sell 100's of thousands of them, there will be Teslas waiting at all of the Supercharger sites and probably taking over public sites as well.

It's a good thing then that Tesla is planning to double their supercharging network by the end of THIS year. Some sites with have "several dozen" chargers. I am a CCS user currently and I cannot even fathom how amazing that would be!

Meanwhile GM plans to sit back and watch Telsa eat their lunch, I guess. I'd describe the CCS network in the midwest where I am in a single word: pathetic.

ssspinball said:
sgt1372 said:

It's a good thing then that Tesla is planning to double their supercharging network by the end of THIS year. Some sites with have "several dozen" chargers. I am a CCS user currently and I cannot even fathom how amazing that would be!

Meanwhile GM plans to sit back and watch Telsa eat their lunch, I guess. I'd describe the CCS network in the midwest where I am in a single word: pathetic.

Tesla fan, huh?

The Supercharger network was NOT designed for local use. Got that info directly from a Tesla sales rep.

It's supposed to be used by Tesla owners on long drives but the Superchargers located near urban centers are being overwhelmed by local use by Tesla owners who don't have access to an L2 charger in their condo/apt or who don't want to put one in their house.

So, even if Tesla doubles the Supercharger network there will still be Tesla owners that will have to resort to public charging stations if they don't want to wait or can't gain access to a Supercharger.

That's why I plan my trips so that I NEVER have to use a public charger. I just charge at home on my own L2 and drive one of my 4 other ICE vehicles when I have to drive farther. Problem solved. ;)

sgt1372 said:
SparkEVPilot said:

You're forgetting that in addition to doubling the superchargers as mentioned above, the destination chargers will increase exponentially. Also, most of the Tesla's on the road today have free for life supercharging so there may still be some abuse whereas all current and Model 3 Tesla's get approximately 1000 miles/year and then there is a fee. It's still about 1/2 the cost of gas/mile but a little more than you would pay to charge at home. This and the parking fee that was recently added should lessen some of the strain on the handful of superchargers that are maxed out so I doubt "there will be waiting at all the Superchargers". As far as I know, it's really more of a California problem. I've not heard of it being widespread by any means.
Another poster also mentioned when charging gets to 200 miles in 20 minutes, then he could see using an EV for long distance trips. Currently, the superchargers are 170 miles in 30 minutes but in the next year or so, they are planning to upgrade the output to around 300-400% more than is currently available. This should get them closer to 200 miles in 10 minutes.

Dgodfrey said:
...most of the Tesla's on the road today have free for life supercharging so there may still be some abuse

If unlimited Supercharging is in the contract; it isn't abuse...it's part of the deal. If those owners want to charge their car for free every day, and twice on Sunday at a Supercharger - they have every right to do so.

oilerlord said:
Dgodfrey said:
...most of the Tesla's on the road today have free for life supercharging so there may still be some abuse

If unlimited Supercharging is in the contract; it isn't abuse...it's part of the deal. If those owners want to charge their car for free every day, and twice on Sunday at a Supercharger - they have every right to do so.

Technically correct, however there have been steps taken as mentioned above per this friendly reminder:
"“The Supercharger Network’s intent remains to expand and enhance your long distance travel while providing the flexibility for occasional needed use during local trips. Our goal is to provide the best charging experience, keeping charge times low to get you back on the road as quickly as possible. As a frequent user of local Superchargers, we ask that you decrease your local Supercharging and promptly move your Model S once charging is complete….”"
http://insideevs.com/tesla-sends-out-supercharger-abuse-emails-model-s-owners-not-impressed/

I've not heard if Tesla has gimped any "abusers" as of yet but the parking fee after charging is complete is certainly within their rights and causes the lions share of grief.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1107867_tesla-to-charge-for-supercharger-parking-if-charging-is-over-sometimes

Using a Supercharging station as a "free parking" spot is abuse. Using it for unlimited free charging is not. Tesla has the contractual obligation to provide it to the customers they sold it to. Elon musk can send all the "friendly reminders" he wants. A deal is a deal.

Back