Test Drove and Looking For Input and Feedback

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
Note that a 30 A circuit like this will support 24A maximum continuous load like charging a car.

This would require about 20 hours for an empty to full charge. Probably not a real problem, but do think about it.

Errr, I should correct, this is far too pessimistic. Far less than 20 hours, 5.8kW should charge an empty battery to full, balanced battery in about 13 hours.

WetEV said:
I suspect that it is a NEMA 10-30, which is obsolete and should not be used. If so:

You might convert to NEMA 14-30 or NEMA 6L-30. I'd suggest an electrician, unless you know better and ignore my advice. :)

It also might be a NEMA 6-30.

Note that a 30 A circuit like this will support 24A maximum continuous load like charging a car.

This would require about 20 hours for an empty to full charge. Probably not a real problem, but do think about it.

https://www.clippercreek.com/does-clippercreek-offer-an-evse-that-can-plug-into-a-nema-10-30-receptacle/

https://store.clippercreek.com/level2/level2-20-to-32?product_id=121

Until now I didn't know what type of dryer plug I had since for the past bizillion years I've only had gas dryers.

Why can't a NEMA 10-30 be used?

RyanZ said:
iankh said:
Why can't a NEMA 10-30 be used?

There's no grounding pin. You had to tie the chassis to ground separately.

I'm definitely WAY out of my depth.

I saw that the Juicebox charger has an adapter. Is there something wrong with this method?

The following was in the product description as an option that can be ordered:

Regular Dryer (NEMA 10-30)

Plug into common dryer outlets! - standard 3 prong 30 amp plugs.
AD-RD.jpg

iankh said:
Is there something wrong with this method?

How much would a small electrical shock bother you? How about a large one? Got a problem with fatal shocks to you or your family members?

The reason by the NEMA 10-30 is no longer recommended is that people got shocked by their dryers. Usually just a little shock. Sometimes badly. Sometimes fatal.

If all is connected right and nothing ever breaks, OK. But if there is a specific fault, namely an open in the neutral someplace upstream, then the neutral can have a hazardous voltage on it. How hazardous depends on what other loads downstream of the neutral break are connected at the time you touch it. Sure, is a somewhat unlikely fault, but happened in my Grandparents house, and things like light, TVs and other electronics might be extra bright, extra dim, dead or just not working to might clue you to turn off the main breaker and call an electrician. Or in my Grandparent's case, to just leave the house and call from a neighbor's house.

The ground of the charging station is connected to neutral by the adapter cord, which is connected to the car. Just like an old dryer. Neutral is usually the same as ground, except when it isn't. The right way to wire it is to connect the ground to ground, and keep neutral out of it. Yes, should be a GFI in the charging station (and is, except for cheap junk) and the GFI, if it works, might prevent your death.

How lucky do you feel?

Call in an electrician and see if you can get the existing dryer outlet rewired so that it's a 14-30. Or better yet, see if they can convert it to a 14-50 so that you can support a higher amperage EVSE.

WetEV said:
iankh said:
Is there something wrong with this method?

How much would a small electrical shock bother you? How about a large one? Got a problem with fatal shocks to you or your family members?

The reason by the NEMA 10-30 is no longer recommended is that people got shocked by their dryers. Usually just a little shock. Sometimes badly. Sometimes fatal.

If all is connected right and nothing ever breaks, OK. But if there is a specific fault, namely an open in the neutral someplace upstream, then the neutral can have a hazardous voltage on it. How hazardous depends on what other loads downstream of the neutral break are connected at the time you touch it. Sure, is a somewhat unlikely fault, but happened in my Grandparents house, and things like light, TVs and other electronics might be extra bright, extra dim, dead or just not working to might clue you to turn off the main breaker and call an electrician. Or in my Grandparent's case, to just leave the house and call from a neighbor's house.

The ground of the charging station is connected to neutral by the adapter cord, which is connected to the car. Just like an old dryer. Neutral is usually the same as ground, except when it isn't. The right way to wire it is to connect the ground to ground, and keep neutral out of it. Yes, should be a GFI in the charging station (and is, except for cheap junk) and the GFI, if it works, might prevent your death.

How lucky do you feel?

I appreciate the explanation. I did know that 220 could kill but had though that if it works for a dryer, what's the problem. I'd rather get an electrician in to change the socket than risk it.

I never thought that one little test drive, the result of going solar had such a cascading effect. Not that that's bad, just not common knowledge, for me at any rate.

WetEV said:
iankh said:
Picked up my Chevy Bolt today.

Congratulations.

I'm hoping for a trip report.

Definitely! Today, I did a "dress rehearsal" with an EVgo fast charging station, in preparation for my trip to Carlsbad this week on Wednesday. Since I've never used a charging station, I wanted to see how they work and get familiar with it. I didn't want to end up in Carlsbad and then be panicked at five in the morning or 9 o'clock at night trying to figure it out. After a few halting starts I was OK. I felt like a real dolt. I hooked up started charging and then went into the Starbucks to get a drink. Came back out and I didn't see the progress bar on the EVgo screen. Had a panic that it stopped. Ended up calling EV go again, and learned that the screen refreshes and the progress bar goes away. Not very intuitive for a first timer.

I also need to check out the ChargePoint fast charger when I'm in Carlsbad.

iankh said:

Order a card from ChargePoint (they are free). Set up your account (with credit card info). Downlaod the ChargePoint app to your phone. You can start a charge with your mobile phone, even without a card (if your phone has signal).

SparkE said:
iankh said:

Order a card from ChargePoint (they are free). Set up your account (with credit card info). Downlaod the ChargePoint app to your phone. You can start a charge with your mobile phone, even without a card (if your phone has signal).

In the stuff that came with the car was a ChargePoint card that I activated today as well.

Back