The Official Bolt Performance Thread (TOBPT)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
So, I'm thinking of getting a Bolt and putting performance tires on it right away. Any suggestions?

No disrespect but I'm sure you know that the Bolt is NOT a performance vehicle w/a top speed of 93 mph and 0-60 in 6.3 secs. So, the tires really aren't going to do anything for you in this respect.

They may improve the "felt" handling of the car a bit (whether it would actually improve the car's time performance on the track/road is another matter) but I wouldn't trash the OEM tires and replace them for new ones just for that. I'd only consider new tires if/when the OEMs wore out or had to be replaced for some other reason.

In any event, as a car enthusiast who has spent tens of thousands of dollars "upgrading" and tinkering w/his cars over the years, I'd say do whatever makes you feel good/better about your car. If you are convinced putting performance tires on it is a good thing, then go for it!

Just don't think that it will somehow transform the car into something that it is not.

My OEM tires are stored, waiting to be re-installed whenever I eventually sell the car.
Better tires and lighter wheels make the car a bit more enjoyable to drive on my local twisty roads, and improve the ride a bit as well.
The Bolt is not a sports car, but it keeps up well enough for use on public roads.

I'm leasing. I just want to burn through a set of tires that won't chirp every time I touch the pedal. I don't need the range of low rolling resistance tires. I'll put the the OEMs back on before I return the lease. That way, no excess wear.

This thread has wrung out the performance of the Bolt as delivered, or maybe with better tires. Has anyone done any other modifications to the car? Different size tires? Lowering the body? Lighter wheels? I'm well aware that the car is not a sports car, but I'm curious what can reasonably be done.

Lest it seem absurd, know that there are people who have put money into making their Leafs more of a "hot hatch" (to use that term very lightly) and are happy with the results.

This thread has wrung out the performance of the Bolt as delivered, or maybe with better tires. Has anyone done any other modifications to the car? Different size tires? Lowering the body? Lighter wheels? I'm well aware that the car is not a sports car, but I'm curious what can reasonably be done.

Lest it seem absurd, know that there are people who have put money into making their LEAFs more of a "hot hatch" (to use that term very lightly) and are happy with the results.

I traded in a highly modified 350z (e.g. aftermarket supercharger etc.) for a Bolt :) I tired of all the noise my Z made which seemed to spark a competitive streak even in grandmas in their mini-vans. Don't underestimate the stealth of a quiet car under acceleration or the advantages of a low center of gravity due to the under-floor placement of the battery packs in real life everyday driving.

My experience is that the Bolt has more torque than tires meaning that it is very easy to spin the drive tires. The stock tires are very good according to independent test reports, EXCEPT in snow. I suspect that wider tires would give more grip on acceleration off the line at the cost of decreased mileage and increased risk of hydroplaning. I would make sure the tires do not hit the fender well under compression (Been there. Done that.) Also, given the same tire technology wider tires generally WORSEN snow traction. If you upgrade the tires, you may want to carry an air compressor. Personally, I would rate tire break away behavior and rain grip as more important than all out dry weather grip. Your real life experiences may vary.

Have fun and be careful,
Jeff

Back