Ticking sound?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedMichon

Today we noticed a faint but clear 1 Hz ticking sound coming from the interior back that stopped when we started the car and did not immediately resume when we shut down again. Anyone familiar with this?

1 Hz ticking sound is infrasound you cannot hear. Bottom audible range is 20 Hz. Human ability maxes out at 20 to 20,000 Hz.

Expanding body panels? Are you coming out into the sun from a shaded area?
I noticed a slight ticking sound, but it sounded like the roof ticking like it was heating up in the direct sunlight and it went away after a few minutes of driving.

I've heard it too. It's definitely mechanical. I suspect it is a coolant system thing.

Since I've disabled the noisemaker (don't lecture me please) I can hear a bunch of noises this car makes while "on" but not moving. A little mechanical symphony.

SeanNelson said:
Yeah, those valves make quite a clattering sound as they pinch and release the wires running to the motor...
I always thought of it more as a stroking, milking, peristaltic kind of motion... but that's just me.

Back