Ultra-Fast-charging just around the corner ???

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not different than my U.S. Bolt EV.
This is not news.

There was ~55 kW coming out of the charge stand.
There are losses and maybe the cooling system was running on top of the charging.

My Bolt EV shows up to 47 kW going INTO the battery on the dash screen inside the car.

We need a photo from inside the car to mean anything. My US bolt EV can draw 55 kW from the pole, sure. So can everyone’s. That does not change the charging time.

gpsman:

What brand DCFC were you using that gave you 55 kW "from the pole" ? Most of the fastest CCS DCFCs in the U.S. are 50 kW fast-chargers (max of 125A).

The interest of the charging report from Norway was that it was a 100 kW DCFC, but the Bolt pulled a max of ~55 kW. So it appears that the Bolt pulled a max of 150 amps - I don't know if that was the max the charger could put out (150A at up to 650V would qualify as "100 kW"). It seems to me that the more logical rating for a "100 kW" DCFC would be 200A @ up to 500V, but I really don't know the detailed specs.

Can you provide a picture of the charger specs of the "55 kW from the cable" unit you used (there's usually a plaque or tag on the unit) ?? And an overall picture of the DCFC itself?

For example (I hope this works) :

196767.jpg

SparkE said:
EXCELLENT! Thank you. I had gone to youtube to try and find videos of people charging (like the Tesla owner who tried to supercharge when it was -20 outside). No joy.

So it looks like 150A (~55 kW) max, AND it drops down to around 37 kW (?95A?) at a lower SoC (closer to 50% than 55%) when charging at the faster rate. (The supposition was that was due to battery temperature, because a user stopped the charge when the rate dropped to 37 kW, waited for a while, and re-started the charge, and the charge rate had returned to 55 kW for a short while).

So the Bolt doesn't ever charge at a rate of 1C. And the latest ChargePoint Express 250 units (max 62.5 kW) should fill the Bolt at its highest charge rate.

I was also happy to see that the posts were from August, so that the charge data wasn't impacted by extreme cold.
We aims to please!

I can’t wait for 100 kW units to be deployed here in the US and get a chance to see just what the max rate is. Got OBDII reader and app all ready to start logging data.

Back