Unfortunately Bolt is still a compliance car from GM

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently it can happen when the battery is fully depleted, and going up a steep grade. In that scenario, the gasoline engine doesn't provide enough power. A simple coding fix restores the car's hold mode making it a non-issue. Alex on Autos tried to make it happen during his review of the i3 (and couldn't replicate the issue). That said, there is a class-action lawsuit regarding this matter.

oilerlord said:
Apparently it can happen when the battery is fully depleted, and going up a steep grade. In that scenario, the gasoline engine doesn't provide enough power. A simple coding fix restores the car's hold mode making it a non-issue. Alex on Autos tried to make it happen during his review of the i3 (and couldn't replicate the issue). That said, there is a class-action lawsuit regarding this matter.

It's true that the coding can be changed, but the problem goes a little deeper.

The problem is that worldwide, BMW allows the generator to cut-in when there's still a reasonable amount of energy left in the battery. This is similar to the "mountain mode" in a Volt.

In the US, they made a special deal to cripple this capability in exchange for additional CARB credits. At the same time, they also reduced the size of the fuel tank. So while yes, you can restore an I3 to worldwide standards by telling it that it isn't a US car, it is still acting as designed when slowing precipitously.

Even worldwide, where the engine cuts in with reasonable battery reserves still present, the engine is so small that eventually the battery buffer is expended and the car slows.

Whether one reviewer could or couldn't replicate the problem, look at the mybmwi3.com website and you will see many people reporting this problem, not only in the USA where the car was crippled, but worldwide where a deeper battery reserve exists.

But the point is that for the BMW to slow is not a "glitch" but a design characteristic. And it's not a "non-issue" for people who try to take certain trips.

GetOffYourGas said:
Is "Genny" a common term for the generator? Just curious. I did a double-take because to this sailor, a "Genny" is a large overlapping head sail (also known as a Genoa).

Ah yes, I have heard it used both ways...... :D I remember how happy I was when I had
a "roller furling" genny installed on my 39' motor-sailor........

299657685_5baaf1a65a.jpg

Whatever for would they need another compliance car? Don't they already have the Spark (and possibly the Volt, which is kind of electric, too).

I think it's more like real-life feasibility study, because Bolt happens to be the first utilitarian, non-exotic, long range EV.

dDF said:
Whatever for would they need another compliance car? Don't they already have the Spark (and possibly the Volt, which is kind of electric, too).

I think it's more like real-life feasibility study, because Bolt happens to be the first utilitarian, non-exotic, long range EV.
I think it was more to be a thorn in the side of the up-and-comer(s) like Tesla as well as being tactical use of compliance issues and also your proposed reasons. I also believe they put a person from their corporate hierarchy they felt really had a passion for creating a good car for this purpose thereby hedging a bet on acceptance by the public.

I think they feel as if all of these reasons and maybe more make it worthwhile to make the attempt. Sometimes selfish reasons still can work to better others too.

gbobman said:
I also believe they put a person from their corporate hierarchy they felt really had a passion for creating a good car for this purpose thereby hedging a bet on acceptance by the public.

Josh Tavel is the person in charge of the Bolt project.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2016/12/10/payne-qauto-chevy-bolt-evs-chief-speed-freak/95259830/

B99474156Z.1_20161210135515_000_GFH18VCSS.1-0.jpg

As the story notes, he is into sporty driving. So it is no surprise that the Bolt has a somewhat more sporty bias than some other cars, as seen in the firmer suspension for better handling and the sportier seats with bigger firmer bolsters. Car magazine reviewers will presumably like that. It matches my preferences also.

However, many people in the US prefer a softer ride and do not care much about handling, and are somewhat wider than Tavel is. Hence the threads about the ride being too firm and the seats being too narrow.

phil0909 said:
d2170 said:
Just because this is a Bolt forum, some of you are getting all defensive for all the wrong reasons, and missing the point, missing the big picture.

It's about global warming, not so much which car or which company or which personality.

What an odd, self-contradictory thing to say! This is a Bolt forum, so quite obviously it is mainly about 'which car'.

Sounds like what you're looking for is a good global warming forum. I highly recommend this one: http://climateaudit.org/ :)

Al Gore told his supporters a decade ago that the world had until 27th January 2016 to end its addiction to fossil fuels or the it would come to an end. I love the Bolt hate the fake science.

dDF said:

The regulations are getting tougher. Over time the transitional vehicles (Volt) must make up less and less of sales.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevtutorial/zev_tutorial_webcast.pdf

grifdoug said:
Al Gore told his supporters a decade ago that the world had until 27th January 2016 to end its addiction to fossil fuels or the it would come to an end. I love the Bolt hate the fake science.

http://history.aip.org/climate/summary.htm

grifdoug said:

He must have been using the Mayan calendar...

Back