Using Tesla destination charger

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jychevyvolt

The are plenty of destination charger you can use with the following adaptor. The chargers are rated for 17 kW but the bolt ev can draw up to 7.2 kW.

https://jdapter.quickchargepower.com

Remember, the property that installed the destination charger is footing the bill. So, patrons only.

Perhaps the Kickstarter adapter has become this Jdapter Stub?
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

Has anyone tried this?

They are different products, but they do the same thing. The jdapter, which is cheaper and nicer (smaller), is still being designed and manufactured. No one knows when/if it'll be available. The other adapter is available now. Great product.

Don't you need a recognized Tesla owner/lessee account before you can actually use a Supercharger?

I don't know how they work exactly but I assume that when a Tesla owner/lessee plugs into a Supercharger, the Supercharger "reads" something in the car that designates it as a Tesla and whether it's got free or fee based Supercharger access and charges the owner/lessee's account accordingly.

So, I don't see how any non-Tesla owner/lessee could gain access to the system and get billed for use, even if there is an adapter that will allow a J1772 vehicle connect w/a Supercharger.

A 'Tesla destination charger' is NOT a 'Tesla super-charger'. They charge at a max of about 48 Amps, I believe (around 10-11 kW).

Destination Charging
You can also charge at any of our Destination Charging sites, commonly found at restaurants, hotels, shopping centers and ski resorts. Whether you’re on vacation or a business trip, we have a large network of locations to keep you charged.

SparkE said:
A 'Tesla destination charger' is NOT a 'Tesla super-charger'. They charge at a max of about 48 Amps, I believe (around 10-11 kW).

Destination Charging
You can also charge at any of our Destination Charging sites, commonly found at restaurants, hotels, shopping centers and ski resorts. Whether you’re on vacation or a business trip, we have a large network of locations to keep you charged.

OIC. Didn't understand the distinction between "Destination" and "Supercharger" sites.

I believe there's a Tesla "destination" charger available at the old Awahanee Hotel in Yosemite. So, you're saying that you can use the Tesla cord there if you have the right adapter?

The NPS required Tesla to also put in a J1772 at the same location as a condition of installation but it would be nice to have the adapter to use the Tesla cord if the J1772 is being used there, as well as for use at other such locations.

Good to know but at $399 for the adapter shown in the link above that's a high price to pay for convenience.

sgt1372 said:
SparkE said:

Destination Charging

OIC. Didn't understand the distinction between "Destination" and "Supercharger" sites.

I believe there's a Tesla "destination" charger available at the old Awahanee Hotel in Yosemite. So, you're saying that you can use the Tesla cord there if you have the right adapter?

The NPS required Tesla to also put in a J1772 at the same location as a condition of installation but it would be nice to have the adapter to use the Tesla cord if the J1772 is being used there, as well as for use at other such locations.

Good to know but at $399 for the adapter shown in the link above that's a high price to pay for convenience.

The original link was to a little plug/adaptor (not the longer cable) that would cost less. Concerning "a high price to pay for convenience" ... I think it would depend on how often you think you'd use that convenience. Suppose you worked near the Awahanee, and knew you could charge up several times a week? You have stated several times that you really don't feel comfortable driving your Bolt to the city without a charge before heading home. If you knew that there were a few Tesla spots around downtown SF that you could use, would you pony up (say) $200 for a socket that would allow you to get 10 kWh when you went to the city, eliminating your slight range anxiety? Wouldn't you buy one? Also, at the moment it might make long distance traveling easier in the Bolt - there are hotels with Destination Chargers that don't have other EVSEs. One night's full charge just a couple of times a year would be the break-even point - and you might be able to get to places you couldn't easily get to otherwise. If I were planning a long (multi-day) trip in a Bolt, I'd probably get one if chargers were scarce at any point on the trip.

I agree that buying one to have in your trunk 'for emergencies' is a bit extreme.

I've been wanting to drive to Crater Lake, where they have a Tesla Destination charger, but I believe only a slow L2 J1772.
You should be able to get the Bolt's full L2 charging rate of 30a through a Tesla adapter, and I'd buy one for $200 in a second if it's ever available.

Back