Wet Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurL

I am the proud owner of a Bolt Premier. Worth the wait folks. Amazing machine and impresses even the gear heads. Recently I've seen other questions in the forum about dealer experiences. After two weeks I think it's worth passing on and see if the GM Rep has any thoughts on my...experience.

The Bolt arrived on a Friday afternoon. I went in for a peek. Was told tech wasn't there til Monday and I could pick her up then. Upon initial inspection on Saturday morning it was found that the Bolts rear storage compartment around the overhead was damp and there was a collection of water down into the metal well around the the storage compartment. The carpeting in the storage area was wet as well as the drop down storage cover. The Bolt EV was forward vehicle on top of the truck. It appears the vehicle was draped for protection and the back of the draping material was tucked under the hatch. Friday from Vancouver to Vernon it rained nearly the entire day. Most likely the rain dripped down along the folds of the tucked material into the rear.

I was emailed at 2pm on Saturday about an issue and came down to look. By then the dealership had sent the vehicle in to shop to dry. There was still slight dampness to top and carpet and a bit of water in the metal well. To ensure the vehicle OnStar antenna or rear hatch seals were not leaking they waiting for a tech to come in Monday. After that inspection they found no problem so the issue seems more firmly placed on the truck delivery.

To make a long story short, the sales manager said any further issues should be taken up with GM as the water intrusion happened on the truck. I asked for documentation on what they had done to the vehicle. I was told there was no documentation. I said they had to be and and he said no and walked off. I said to his back, "if there is no documentation it didn't happen". I'm thinking they are shoveling me and any future responsibility down the road. A few more minor issues but I'm not a happy camper.

A few days later I talk to the Dealership General Manager. He apologizes for any harm this might have done to the dealer experience. I'm worried about future issues that may not appear for years. Nope, take it up to GM. Yes there were errors I was told, but they were protocol errors. I call it water damage. He says the biggest problem was they let me know there was an issue...not the issue itself. He says that they prefer to deal with the issue unknown to the buyer so the experience is unblemished. I'm thinking so they can hide the fact.

One thing with his train of thought...cover up. About 3 days after I brought the Bolt home I noticed a discolored water stain on the rear hatch privacy cover. I took it in and sales manager says he will have it sent back to be recleaned. I asked if it doesn't come clean? He says, we will make it right. That to me is just avoiding to committ to replace the damaged cover.

So back to the dealer protocol...if they had not told me about the water intrusion what am I to think when I find the water stained cover? Do they fess up then? Do they lie?

So according to the dealer I had a lose of "experience". I have a cover in the vehicle that is now on order because they couldn't clean it. They tell me not to expect any future issue with the water intrusion, but they also told me it was as good as new...which it wasn't.

So....is this issue over and resolved in the eyes of GM?

The problem with water intrusion is if it causes mold to grow in the carpeting you may end up with an unpleasant smell that is very difficult to eliminate. And without any proof that the water damage occurred before delivery it seems very unlikely that GM would accept any responsibility for it, since it could just as easily have been due to owner error.

Hopefully the issue was caught soon enough that it won't turn into a problem. I'd like to think that if I was in that position I'd simply refuse the car and wait to get another one, but in the excitement of delivery I'm honestly not sure I'd have that willpower or not.

I have no doubt that issues such this are routinely fixed by dealerships before selling the car and the buyer is none the wiser. The difference in your case is that you found out about it. While the dealer's response doesn't surprise me, hearing that he admitted it does. I can't decide if I think that makes him honest or stupid. Certainly I think you're totally justified in feeling that the experience was less than acceptable.

I guess the take-away from this is that if anyone manages to find any issues with their vehicle before the sale is complete it's probably a good idea to document them (taking pictures, perhaps) yourself.

I told the Sales manager at one point that I was considering not accepting the vehicle but I had waited 5 months for it and it would probably take another 5 months for a replacement. He said, probably more like a year. That almost felt like a gun put to my head. I was not about to go through a year waiting for a replacement. Hell, in 6 months the next model should be out. Plus I would have lost a $6000 Scrapit funding for my old car which would have been reduced to $3000 if I would have gone beyond 15 May acceptance.

As for the documentation I finally got a print out of the initial inspection which just said "wet rear". I had written the Dealership manager and he did not respond with a written reply but asked me to call him...he did not attempt to call me. I'm sure that was a way of keeping anything he said in a "he said, he said" situation with nothing in writing.

I want to ask the GM rep if I can change my primary dealership to one in the next closest town. I am not comfortable with dealing with these people now. Their primary concern seems to be cover your ass not customer satisfaction.

Again...this car rocks. Urban sports car. Free BC Hydro Fast Charger in town with only 11 individual users in last year. Keeps her between 50 and 80 percent on 30-40 minute visits once or twice a week. My level 2 charger at home isn't getting much use.

ArthurL said:
...Plus I would have lost a $6000 Scrapit funding for my old car which would have been reduced to $3000 if I would have gone beyond 15 May acceptance.
Yeah, the Scrap-It program was either seriously underfunded or way too generous this year. I had planned to buy a beater to scrap, but with what's happened this year I've got no clue what next year is going to be like. They may lower the incentive so that the budget will cover more cars. I'm thinking that I'll probably just forgo the whole thing.

ArthurL said:
Again...this car rocks. Urban sports car. Free BC Hydro Fast Charger in town with only 11 individual users in last year. Keeps her between 50 and 80 percent on 30-40 minute visits once or twice a week.
Where's the free charger?

1) This is the "Ask Chevy" forum, where you can ask questions and/or inform Chevrolet about issues/problems/questions

2) Fast chargers in western Canada moved to the "Local / Regional Discussions" forum :
-> http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6206

I'm waiting for an answer from Chevy Rep and peeps asked questions. When the Rep answers I'll be happy to leave the tread but I will not ignore questions.

No problem - acomment was made, a question was asked and answered. All's cool.

I'm mostly concerned about somebody being able to find useful info than anything else ("hey, I remember somebody posting about a free DCFC - where did I see that?" and he'll never think to look in a thread titled "Wet Bolt" ;) ).

So far, a "GM Rep" hasn't said anything on this thread. Don't rely on a non-GM forum to try and get your point across to GM. CALL THEM.

I want to ask the GM rep if I can change my primary dealership to one in the next closest town. I am not comfortable with dealing with these people now. Their primary concern seems to be cover your ass not customer satisfaction.

So when I moved from Ontario to BC about three years ago, I went to four different dealers before I found one that didn't annoy me to no end. I was able to change my primary dealer without any issues. I can't stand incompetence, it just makes me so mad, and I think GM knew it was in their best interest to let me go to the dealer that annoys me the least as I can be quite a force when really pissed. But to answer your question, you can change your primary dealer to whomever you wish as along as it's within the GM/chevy family. Warranties will still be covered and such as well.

Hope this helps!

mrzesty said:
So when I moved from Ontario to BC about three years ago, I went to four different dealers before I found one that didn't annoy me to no end.
Can I persuade you to tell us who it is?

I had my Plymouth van serviced at Carter Dodge in Burnaby for many, many years and was pretty happy with them. I don't know if that translates over to the adjacent Carter GM or not, though.

SeanNelson said:
mrzesty said:
So when I moved from Ontario to BC about three years ago, I went to four different dealers before I found one that didn't annoy me to no end.
Can I persuade you to tell us who it is?

I had my Plymouth van serviced at Carter Dodge in Burnaby for many, many years and was pretty happy with them. I don't know if that translates over to the adjacent Carter GM or not, though.

So Carter GM REALLY annoyed me - took my vehicle to them to have my out of province inspection to change from Ontario plates to BC plates with my insurance agent. It took four trips to the dealer to finally get the form filled our correctly (I was beyond pissed). I won't go back to that dealer. I finally ended up going to Barnes Wheaton North Surrey "Under the Flag" location (104 th and 152 st). I at least know that everything takes 4 hours, but they at least check in on me, give me tonnes of coffee and spic and span my car when they are done with their service. Also, I'm the primary driver and when they repair things, I ask a lot of questions. I don't get the "oh another female pretending to know stuff" attitude. They walk me through it. It at least makes me feel like I did my duty in "are you sure your not just trying to take advantage of me?".

Again, everyone has their personal preferences. Mine is based on past experiences.

I have reached out to GM. I did CALL them. The point of a forum is to inform. GM Rep doesnt seem to answer most questions. Lots of private messages point that out. Maybe this section needs to be deleted if GM is not going to actively participate.

My bolt got wet in the back too. You should check the amp. My premier model has the amp on the bottom of the wheel well. The electrical connectors for the amp are just off the floor. Looking into the connectors, there was green rust from the moisture. It blew my amp out.

Anyway, something to check.

Andy

Andym,
Thanks for your info. Interesting. Did you find out how it got wet?

I'll go out later and check out the amp connector u r referring to. The dealer said that "even if" connectors got wet that they have a gel seal that would keep them from damage or rust. Just another BS cover your rear excuse from the dealer perhaps?

Funny the dealer said that. There is no gel in the connectors. They are dry. I have lots of pictures. I wish they would have put the gel on the connectors.

My car's rear window was damaged in transport shipping it across the country. Chevy said it must have rained in the car at some point.

Andy

So....the dealer promised to "make it right", fixed the window, dried to carpet and cut you loose....cause it happened before it arrived...correct? You got a problem talk to GM...correct? How far have you gotten with GM? Considering mold or rust possibly down the line I'm sure there is a policy and procedure for this....or is there?

This is about two wet Bolts now. Nothing off topic to bug anyone I hope.

Back