Winter Driving, what’s your experience?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, if you read the label on all season tires, virtually all of them are labelled "Mud & Snow."

Yes, "all-season" is the third most often told lie, after "The check is in the mail." and "I've never done this before either, but I'll still respect you in the morning."

jack vines

Just a data point here.
I did the opposite.
I live in the San Francisco Bay area.

I love the instant torque and 200 HP.
This is the most powerful car I have ever owned.
I love the quickness off the line, especially when needing to get ahead of someone to change lanes, etc. I disliked the fact the stock tires could not put all that power to the road. Wheel slip and traction control kick in reducing power all the time.

(Don’t get me wrong, I get great range as I drive the speed limits or a tad under most of the time. I just get enjoyment out of the quick acceleration on clean, flat, dry roads.)

I bought “summer only” tires for the front. I got the stickiest, highest traction “autocross” rated tires I could find locally. I put them only on the front.
This car will still spin the tires. So I let 5psi of air out.
Now about 34 psig when cold, the car STILL spins the tires. I guess this car is just too light of weight up front. I notice the front tires warm up faster than the rear. I usually start a 23 mile drive with fronts at 34 psi and rears at 38 psi when cold. At the end of the drive, all four are usually the same at about 40psi.

I desperately wanted to like this car, but I'm coming from an AWD Subaru and after 2 test drives, I don't think I can get over how much the wheels slip. If they come out with an AWD version of the bolt I would be all over it.
I could probably learn to deal with it but my 2001 Subaru still drives alright and why pay all that money for a new bolt I'll probably have buyers remorse over. I'm happy for those of you who found the bolt to be a good fit, I wish there were more ev choices in the market.

GM is supposed to be coming out with 2 more EVs (likely based on the Bolt) in a year or so, and it's likely one with be an SUV.

Ohms said:
I desperately wanted to like this car, but I'm coming from an AWD Subaru and after 2 test drives, I don't think I can get over how much the wheels slip. If they come out with an AWD version of the bolt I would be all over it.
I could probably learn to deal with it but my 2001 Subaru still drives alright and why pay all that money for a new bolt I'll probably have buyers remorse over. I'm happy for those of you who found the bolt to be a good fit, I wish there were more ev choices in the market.

I am sure that more EV choices will be available soon. With the Bolt having 266 lb.ft of torque available, it is not uncommon for the wheels to slip if you accelerate rapidly. This compares with only the 110 to 120 lb.ft of torque available in the Subaru that is distributed to four wheels. More than double the torque, which I enjoy greatly.

I have yet to drive in any significant depth of snow, so stay tuned on how well it does in deeper snowfall accumulations, but so far I am impressed with the handling in slush and wet with the stock tires.

winterescape said:
With the Bolt having 266 lb.ft of torque available, it is not uncommon for the wheels to slip if you accelerate rapidly. This compares with only the 110 to 120 lb.ft of torque available in the Subaru that is distributed to four wheels. More than double the torque, which I enjoy greatly.
I haven't driven in deep snow either, but in the couple of inches that I was able to find and try driving in I didn't have any problem modulating the motor power with slight amounts of throttle. I may learn otherwise when winter hits in more force, but so far my impression is that it's going to be easier to control the power going to the wheels in slippery conditions than it was in any of my former ICE vehicles with automatic or even manual transmissions.

Back